Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the original owner of a 2002 Bonneville and have suffered three broken spokes on the rear wheel, all of which have resulted in a punctured tire. I've read that this is a common problem with the early models (2001-03, I think), so I had the entire wheel re-laced with new spokes from Buchanan's (for a hefty sum). Today, one of the Buchanan's broke and punctured the tire (I was going 70 km/h in heavy traffic at the time), which wasn't fun.

Does anyone know the cause of these breakages? I can't blame it on the spokes, because both brands broke; nor on the bloke who laced it because they've broke before. Is it the rim? The hub? Anyone else have this problem?

I'm starting to feel unsafe on this thing.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Its the design of the hub/spoke (or maybe the huge power) . the bend in the spoke is a stress point and usally where they break. The later hubs from 2010 have straight spokes and a diffrent design on the hub to allow their fittment, but of course Triumph would never admit there was a problem. Haven't had any break myself but have cable tied the spokes together at the point where each pair of them cross close to the hub which may prevent a punture if they break, or not.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
there were some good threads regarding this topic a few years back and the outcome was as plodalong states.

also, important to routinely check the tension of spokes so that ALL of them share the load. thats what I do and havent had any break

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and the advice. Yes, I've fitted rim tape, but that didn't seem to help. Once I replace the spoke and the tire, I'll check for tightness, but I think they're all pretty good...

Anyone fit any other wheels/hubs to alleviate this problem? The new SE aluminum ones are expensive!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Best solution is a used rear wheel that's after the 2007 model year, it's a drop in replacement and has been redesigned with straight pull spokes.

Second best solution is to zip tie your spokes where they cross, this will prevent the broken spoke from swinging around and hitting the caliper. The spoke that seems to break the most is the rear wheel left outer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other solution is the one I am now seriously considering: selling the Bonnie and buying a Speed Triple.

Four broken spokes and punctured tires is enough for me. A new wheel, when all's said and done, will be about $1,000, which is too much. This is a serious safety issue and Triumph should have initiated a recall imo.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
The other solution is the one I am now seriously considering: selling the Bonnie and buying a Speed Triple.

Four broken spokes and punctured tires is enough for me. A new wheel, when all's said and done, will be about $1,000, which is too much. This is a serious safety issue and Triumph should have initiated a recall imo.
If you ditch the Bonnie, take a look at the Street Triple "R". I have always admired those bikes immensely, and if I ever got another bike, that would be the one.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
This is the first I have heard of a Buchanen spoke breaking. I just received a set from them and am currently having my local mechanic lace and true the wheel for me.

My 2001 Bonneville ate three spokes around 20,000 miles. I replaced them with "Triumph" spokes and nipples at about $8.00 each. 29,000 miles later I broke three more spokes not the same ones as before though. None of them punctured the tube. Buchanen had there spoke kit instock...it was $145 with expedited shipping. Thats half the price of Triumph. Give Buchanen a call...maybe they can sell you one spoke.

I had considered doing the later wheel swap, but unfortunately none where available...and I can't have my bike down for more then a few days.

·
Registered
594 Posts
A brand new rear wheel runs about a grand (which is crazy expensive), but a used ones on ebay come up from time to time. If you're patient you should be able to get one for a few hundred bucks. Why not ziptie or wire the spokes together until then?

The real problem with that rear wheel is the hub, not the spokes. When Central Wheel lost the Triumph wheel contract to an overseas firm, an employee from CW spoke to a member of one of the Triumph forums and said they never liked that hub design and recommended that Triumph not use it. If you get a "lemon" hub with too much machining variation, certain spokes seem to fatigue quickly.

IMHO the best wheels for the Bonneville are the aftermarket ones based on Talon hubs. These hubs are machined from billet, employ straight pull spokes, and are significantly lighter than the OEM models. They are expensive, but actually a little cheaper than the OEM models from the dealer.

http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc203-4.htm

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I'm looking for a Speed Triple "R." The Bonnie and I have had good times over the last 10 years, but it's time to move on. I just removed the wheel today, and it turns out there are two broken spokes. This is ********. It's a safety hazard, a known parts failure. Had I been going any faster I may have suffered serious injury. I've already spent the $150 on the spokes, plus upwards of $500 to have them laced and the wheel trued. (I know that's a lot of dough, but there aren't many guys who can do it around these parts).

Funny, my wife doesn't want me to sell it, but I'm not willing to risk blowing a tire at 100 mph from a broken spoke. I could, I suppose, tie the spokes together, but I don't think that'll prevent them from breaking, only from puncturing the tire. Not good enough.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
$500 to lace and true wheel? Your mechanic should be arrested.
Buchanen can lace and true a wheel for less then $100 plus parts and shipping. My costs inccured so far:
New Buchannen Spokes: $145 with Expedited Shipping
New Michalen Pilot Sport 130/80/17: $118.00 Shipped (Bike Bandit)
New IRC Tube $18.00 (Bought last year from Bike Bandit on Sale, I keep tubes in stock)
New Triumph rim Strip $15.00
Labor to Lace and True Wheel $90.00
Labor to Mount and Balance my tire $25.00
Tip to Mechanic $20.00
Total $431.00 with one week of down time. I wanted to do the wheel bearings while it was apart since they have almost 50K on then. Unfortunately it would take a week of additional down time to pocure the bearings.

I could have reused the rear tire and tube, but they had been on the bike 10K and only had about 2k left in it

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I know it was a lot, but he's the only guy around here that can do it, and it took him a long time hence the price; pathetic, I know, but my only option.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Agreed. The problem is there will be no recall unless the claims get filed. I counted last year maybe a dozen filed 'broken spoke' issues out of the hundreds out there on the National Highway Traffic Saftey site. On 1/10 there were 100 confirmed on the NTBF Forum alone. Please file a claim.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, I know it was a lot, but he's the only guy around here that can do it, and it took him a long time hence the price; pathetic, I know, but my only option.
I use Morrie in Auburn he is fast, quick and excellent at wheels. His website is TheWheelMaster.com. He gets wheels in from all over and is reasonablely priced.

Kim :HappySidecar

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
A brand new rear wheel runs about a grand (which is crazy expensive), but a used ones on ebay come up from time to time. If you're patient you should be able to get one for a few hundred bucks. Why not ziptie or wire the spokes together until then?

The real problem with that rear wheel is the hub, not the spokes. When Central Wheel lost the Triumph wheel contract to an overseas firm, an employee from CW spoke to a member of one of the Triumph forums and said they never liked that hub design and recommended that Triumph not use it. If you get a "lemon" hub with too much machining variation, certain spokes seem to fatigue quickly.

IMHO the best wheels for the Bonneville are the aftermarket ones based on Talon hubs. These hubs are machined from billet, employ straight pull spokes, and are significantly lighter than the OEM models. They are expensive, but actually a little cheaper than the OEM models from the dealer.

http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc203-4.htm
+1, Talons thats what I did.10/10

Plasma.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've looking into buying a new wheel, but they are about $1,300 for the whole deal. A hub cannot be purchased alone, yet a rim can (for about $500).

I've contacted a few dealers (who really don't know very much), and they know nothing about Triumph changing the rim/hub set up in the later models, but one said he's the original owner of a 1998 Thunderbird and he's had no spoke issues. It may just be my bike.

I don't see how I can file a claim. What exactly would I be claiming? To whom? Our insurance is government controlled in Saskatchewan, so it's a bit different than other places.

Anyway, I'm planning to sell the bike immediately and buy a BRAND NEW THRUXTON, so hooray for broken spokes!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got back from a ride to Tasmania 5500 klms and about half way back got a flat tyre from a broken spoke on rear wheel at 120 kilometres an hour. Lucky it did not jump around too much and I stopped safely but very annoying as the tyre was brand new and still usable after a new tube. Leaving the spoke off as the wheel is nice and straight

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I'm the original owner of a 2002 Bonneville and have suffered three broken spokes on the rear wheel, all of which have resulted in a punctured tire. I've read that this is a common problem with the early models (2001-03, I think), so I had the entire wheel re-laced with new spokes from Buchanan's (for a hefty sum). Today, one of the Buchanan's broke and punctured the tire (I was going 70 km/h in heavy traffic at the time), which wasn't fun.

Does anyone know the cause of these breakages? I can't blame it on the spokes, because both brands broke; nor on the bloke who laced it because they've broke before. Is it the rim? The hub? Anyone else have this problem?

I'm starting to feel unsafe on this thing.

From what I've read on broken spokes the verdict found is pretty much too low of a tire pressure. They have found if you stay close or above max pressures the spokes hold up just fine. I've never had a broken spoke but I've always kept 40 pounds in my back tire.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
From what I've read on broken spokes the verdict found is pretty much too low of a tire pressure. They have found if you stay close or above max pressures the spokes hold up just fine. I've never had a broken spoke but I've always kept 40 pounds in my back tire.
That's interesting, haven't seen that before now. I keep my rear tire at 40psi too.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts