Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Commuting in to work today, a truck pulling a 16-foot trailer kicked up a massive dirt clod that knocked a nasty hole in my headlight. Replacement has been ordered but thinking about opting for a stone guard after this. Any other Speed Twin owners have one that they’d recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Just glad you didn't take the hit in your helmet face plate.

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just glad you didn't take the hit in your helmet face plate.
Agreed! It’s an inconvenience more than anything. But it got me to thinking about putting a grill/stone guard on it.

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
327 Posts
That’s plain unlucky. There are a couple of grills out but they still have gaps big enough for rock to get through and smash it again. it will lower the odds a little but also the odds of this happening again is even slimmer now it’s happened once. The grills are more for a scramble or the like that may have branches wacking it as you go through the scrub off-road or those that put them on more for aesthetics.

what did the sting you for a new headlight out of curiosit?

triumph make one that replaces the bezel. There are others but this is probable the smallest gap one iv seen.
not my bike just a picture I found.

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The headlight lens and reflector are all one piece that sells for $185 US.

The piece that hit my headlight was way bigger than the openings in that grill but I think you’re exactly right on the probability of this happening twice. I like grills on the Scramblers (and that’s where they make the most sense, like you mentioned about branches) but think I prefer the clean look for the Speed Twin. If I found a simple mesh grill, I might like the look of it but then it might not prevent this kind of breakage either.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I sorta figured Triumph was using polycarbonate of some kind for headlight lenses, as it's pretty tough and generally won't shatter. Obviously not.

In all my years of riding, I've never had a cracked or shattered headlight lens, whether glass or plastic. I've stayed away from stone guards because they can reduce light output so much.

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The replacement part arrived today and it turned out to be a full assembly (from the diagram, I thought it was just going to be the lens and reflector). It was pretty easy to swap out with only a hex wrench and a small screwdriver.

I’m really happy to have everything back in proper working order again.

·
Administrator
3,156 Posts
Back in business. (y) Now you have a garage art ornament also!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts