Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I live we have different coloured buses, red ones, blue ones, white ones and even the odd purple one.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t know, random thoughts can be kind of fun.

I am at work now, and can not think of any worthy to post.
Wait up my good fellow, i'll have you know these aren't just random thoughts, this is an average day for me! I wake up excitedly every morning, go to my nearest bus stop and play a little game of trying to guess what colour bus is going to arrive next. After I've got on the random coloured bus I travel to my local shopping centre to buy some nice ripe pre-packaged tomatoes then off to the post office to stand in a queue, just for fun I wait in the queue until it's my turn, this can be up to 15 minutes sometimes, then when I get to the counter I don't actually buy anything:ROFLMAO: . Then it's back to the bus stop to catch another bus home, I always secretly hope that it's not the same colour as the one that I was on earlier that day, then after I have eaten my tomatoes bought fresh from the supermarket it's off to bed in quiet anticipation of what colour bus I'll be catching the following day.:geek:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Dude, where I live, all of the buses are the same color. Dirty white on the outside, blue and vomit on the inside. My favorite buses are the ones that move out of the way when they see me behind them in traffic.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Wait up my good fellow, i'll have you know these aren't just random thoughts, this is an average day for me! I wake up excitedly every morning, go to my nearest bus stop and play a little game of trying to guess what colour bus is going to arrive next. After I've got on the random coloured bus I travel to my local shopping centre to buy some nice ripe pre-packaged tomatoes then off to the post office to stand in a queue, just for fun I wait in the queue until it's my turn, this can be up to 15 minutes sometimes, then when I get to the counter I don't actually buy anything:ROFLMAO: . Then it's back to the bus stop to catch another bus home, I always secretly hope that it's not the same colour as the one that I was on earlier that day, then after I have eaten my tomatoes bought fresh from the supermarket it's off to bed in quiet anticipation of what colour bus I'll be catching the following day.:geek:
If I lived where you do I'd spend all day every day ogling the bikini clad babes on the beach... on second thoughts, probably not, my ex wife came from there.. Sadly though, the diggers we make only come in one colour - Yellow🙁

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I lived where you do I'd spend all day every day ogling the bikini clad babes on the beach... on second thoughts, probably not, my ex wife came from there.. Sadly though, the diggers we make only come in one colour - Yellow🙁
So I take it you work for JCB in Staffordshire. I used to make delivery's to there back along when I had a life. At least you're not far from Alton Towers, much more fun than a day on Bournemouth beach, but then you do have a point about ogling the babes in bikinis :p

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
So I take it you work for JCB in Staffordshire.
Yes, I'm a welder and make the outer section of the telescopic lifting booms.... that is just the outer, there are another 4 sections that go inside it. This particular boom extends to 20 metres (65.5 feet). The complete machine weighs in at around 14 tons.

I used to make delivery's to there back along when I had a life.
So I take it that you were one of the many truckers who enjoy a bit of early morning elephant racing on the carriageway, creating a rolling roadblock for miles?😋 Which site did you deliver to? There are 7 main factories in Staffordshire, plus a number of support sites. .

At least you're not far from Alton Towers, much more fun than a day on Bournemouth beach
Steady on old chap - I've been to Alton Towers twice, and both times the queues were so large it was impossible to get either me or the kids on any of the rides. Then when you leave all the roads out of Alton are gridlocked. It made your Post Office queue look like a real fun day out. Think I'd rather stick to ogling babes in bikinis.😃

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I'm a welder and make the outer section of the telescopic lifting booms.... that is just the outer, there are another 4 sections that go inside it. This particular boom extends to 20 metres (65.5 feet). The complete machine weighs in at around 14 tons.

View attachment 717322

So I take it that you were one of the many truckers who enjoy a bit of early morning elephant racing on the carriageway, creating a rolling roadblock for miles?😋 Which site did you deliver to? There are 7 main factories in Staffordshire, plus a number of support sites. .

Steady on old chap - I've been to Alton Towers twice, and both times the queues were so large it was impossible to get either me or the kids on any of the rides. Then when you leave all the roads out of Alton are gridlocked. It made your Post Office queue look like a real fun day out. Think I'd rather stick to ogling babes in bikinis.😃
I'm going back to the mid 90's now and the place I went to was at Rocester, I must admit I only thought JCB had one factory, perhaps they did back then. I drove for a general haulage firm in Dorset and used to make drops there before getting return loads. I drove lorry's for only about five years until the novelty wore off then I became a welder working for a firm in Poole building static caravan chassis amongst other things, they went bust in 2012 and now I'm a sheet metal worker, I don't really do a great deal of welding anymore.
I've only visited Alton Towers twice, but that was mainly down to the distance from Bournemouth, I thought it was all good fun though.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I'm going back to the mid 90's now and the place I went to was at Rocester, I must admit I only thought JCB had one factory, perhaps they did back then.
The Rocester plant is the World Headquarters, which is the original factory where it all began. In the 90's there would also have been Heavy Products in the centre of Uttoxeter. This was an old place which originally was Bamfords Ltd, they were relatives of Joey and made agricultural machinery such as combine harvesters. They were under the wing of Alice Chalmers when I worked there in 1977. By 1980 they went into liquidation and Joey bought it out. In the mid 90's Heavy Products was moved to a new factory on the A50, right next to the World Parts Centre and the old site was bulldozed. Just before Christmas this year they built/commissioned a new cabs factory, also next to Heavy Products/World Parts, so just as you enter Uttoxeter on the A50, there are 3 factories in a row. You turn off there onto the B5030 to go up to Rocester.

Then there are 2 factories in Cheadle, Earthmovers (where the wheeled loaders and Fastrac are made - Guy Martin used a specially modified Fastrac to get the World's fastest tractor record at 135mph - we also built his 30 ton WW1 tank), and Compact Products which make all the small stuff like Teletruks. I think both of those places were commissioned in the early 90's. Until its closure recently there was also a small factory in Cheadle called Cecily Mills. There is another cabs factory in Rugely.

JCB also bought the old Creda/Russel Hobbs site at Blythe Bridge near Stoke, but the ground is contaminated so they have to wait for 10 years before building anything there.

I drove for a general haulage firm in Dorset and used to make drops there before getting return loads. I drove lorry's for only about five years until the novelty wore off then I became a welder working for a firm in Poole building static caravan chassis amongst other things, they went bust in 2012 and now I'm a sheet metal worker, I don't really do a great deal of welding anymore.
I don't know if things were the same in your time lorry driving but the majority of the transport, that is transporting new machines to the dealers or shipping, is done by Brit European and Beech Transport. A couple of years ago one of the Brit European drivers managed to close off the carriageway for a whole day by losing 5 new machines on the roundabout. The carriageway had to be closed for resurfacing due to diesel and hydraulic fluid spillage. But due to the delivery and return loads I think your company must have been carrying parts supplies? A couple of lorry drivers that I know who have delivered there tell me that its a nightmare to get unloaded and there is a lot of waiting.

I left school at 15 and went straight into engineering, working mainly in the machine shop, but within a couple of years I got curious about welding and the boss at a small engineering firm I worked at decided to give me a try. I had been watching all the other welders for quite a while and asking questions, so when I got the weld test I managed a decent run and proved to be a natural. I've stayed with that ever since and only real hardship would force me to change now. I've been a welder now for almost 44 years and that initial fascination with it is still there. Over the years I've done MIG, stick, TIG, gas and even plastic welding on all materials - milld steel, stainless, aluminium etc.

I've only visited Alton Towers twice, but that was mainly down to the distance from Bournemouth, I thought it was all good fun though.
Yes, the distance... my ex wife came from Bournemouth but originated from Portsmouth. A sister in Gosport, brothers in Fareham and Waterlooville. Friends in Poole and Bournemouth. Take a guess at who had to do all the driving... And the first thing that those people would say to me was - 'say something northern'.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the distance... my ex wife came from Bournemouth but originated from Portsmouth. A sister in Gosport, brothers in Fareham and Waterlooville. Friends in Poole and Bournemouth. Take a guess at who had to do all the driving... And the first thing that those people would say to me was - 'say something northern'.
My time as a lorry driver took the enjoyment out of driving for me, the job drove me nut's and that was only doing it for just over five years. Hence why I ride bikes the majority of the time now, I hate being trapped in a car in traffic, I still have to do 'family' runs in the wife's car from time to time but try to keep this to the minimum.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Yes, I'm a welder and make the outer section of the telescopic lifting booms....
Interesting. JCB, eh? Matthew Taylor was a good acquaintance while MD at Land Rover but we spoke several times after he joined JCB. Called back from all over the world! Ex-RN as well. Trust he landed on his feet after JCB. One of the good ones!

·
Registered
178 Posts
This thread turned from coloured buses to a history lesson about Metalcraft? Anyway here we have different coloured buses too, just don't get on the blue bus...

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Interesting. JCB, eh? Matthew Taylor was a good acquaintance while MD at Land Rover but we spoke several times after he joined JCB. Called back from all over the world! Ex-RN as well. Trust he landed on his feet after JCB. One of the good ones!
Shortly after I joined the company in 2006 they began to open factories all over the world - Brazil, India, USA, China and Russia. People were sent from here to train and help get those plants up and running. I don't know Matthew Taylor myself, but if JCB were sending him to different factories abroad you can rest assured that he landed on his feet. I think 2006 was a milestone year for them, being more or less the point at which they became a global company. They had also began to manufacture their own engines (previously used Cummins Diesel) and demonstrated how good they are by setting a new speed record of 350mph with the Dieselmax at Bonneville Salt Flats. The same year they also got the Queen's award for industry.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
This thread turned from coloured buses to a history lesson about Metalcraft? Anyway here we have different coloured buses too, just don't get on the blue bus...
That's the point of posting a random thought, it sparks conversation that morphs through different subjects, like being in the pub. I won't ask why to avoid the blue bus...

1 - 20 of 121 Posts