Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone

I ride a Street Twin 2018 and I love it. But when I ride longer than 30 min, the Street Twin heats up and it’s getting so hot that it burns my left calf through my Rokker Kevlar Jeans. And it’s not only red burned, it burns a 1 cm wound in my flesh.
Some additional info about me: I am a so-called short rider, 165 cm tall.
Anyone has a similar problem and a solution even? :)
My garage tells me they never heard of this and have no solution - and don’t try to analyze the issue further :(

Thank you
Lyd
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
297 Posts
Lyd:

I found this image on Triumph's website of a lady rider on a Street Twin and I think I understand what you mean now. It looks like the rider's leg position is quite close to the cylinder head. That would be pretty warm! I cannot think of a practical solution to the issue though. Perhaps a different (fatter) foot peg to raise the knee up just a bit or thicker soled boots?

Noel

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Judging from the above picture, would knee pads help?

Another idea: Ergonomic adjustments such as seat thickness, height adjustment, etc and the items Falcon mentioned.

Reactions: Lyd

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I'm a bit taller and ride a T120, but I find my knees naturally splay out a couple of inches from the tank on each side, and the cylinder head fins below. After decatting, engine heat seems to no longer be a problem.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have a 2019 Street Twin and have no such issue, even hear in hot and humid SW Florida.

i find it to be one of the coolest modern liquid cooled motorcycles to ride.... and I've had a bunch. my T120 is much hotter but tolerable for me.

My Street Twin has an X-pipe and V&H mufflers, it runs great without a tune.
if I waned a faster bike I'd bought something else. I had tha de-cat done to see if would reduce the small the amount of heat I felt coming from beneath the bike, likely from the cat. Honestly.... I could not not detect any difference in heat after the de-cat, just a more robust exhaust note. Maybe you'd have better results, dunno?

Try changing the position of that leg a bit, out from the bike, to make sure it's not contacting the engine of some other hot component and to allow air to flow between you leg and the bike.

Hope this helps.

Paul

·
Registered
443 Posts
T1150069 and T1150072 are 'Heat Bars', used on some models, looks like they push between the fins. Might work for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for the answers!
i had also under my Kevlar Jeans some additional knee pad - still I burned myself.

See attached a picture of me riding my Street Twin and my comfortable riding position.
Changing the riding position feels unnatural to me. I tried different positions while riding not to burn me. But without success.
And as you can see: I am a short rider with short legs and short arms 😇
additionally I uploaded a picture of a 2 weeks old almost healed burn. It’s deep.

i had a Ducati Monster 696 and a Honda CBR600 before that, never had an issue.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
560 Posts
Would changing the footpegs with so.e adjustable ones help? It might raise your legs up enough so your calf no longer gets burned? Just a thought.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ducati monster has a more narrow V twin only one cylinder wide and is positioned different compared to the wider twin head of the twin. The CBR is covered in fairings that contain the heat so I’m not surprised you had no dramas with those bikes.

from the picture it’s seems that due to your short reach you are forced to be right on top of the tank which forces the rest of your body and legs forward as well.

I would get some risers that sweep back (also known as pullback risers) and depending on how much that helps maybe some bars with more backward sweep. This will allow you to move further back on the seat While still reaching the bars. this will also allow you to move your body back and more importantly your knees and calf’s further back and away from the engine.

just something to consider.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi everyone

I ride a Street Twin 2018 and I love it. But when I ride longer than 30 min, the Street Twin heats up and it’s getting so hot that it burns my left calf through my Rokker Kevlar Jeans. And it’s not only red burned, it burns a 1 cm wound in my fle.
Some additional info about me: I am a so-called short rider, 165 cm tall.
Anyone has a similar problem and a solution even? :)
That burn looks nasty - are your legs touching the cylinder heads? What's the right leg like?

I'm about 5" (13cm) taller than you but have relatively short legs (28"/70cm inseam) so my leg position might be similar. I've checked on my Street Scrambler, and the centre of my kneecap is pretty much aligned with the top of the spark plug cap which looks pretty much where yours is. I don't have this problem.

I know I have tank pads which splay my legs slightly, but there is a good 2"-3" (5cm-8cm) gap between leg and cylinder head.

Unless your leg is actually resting against the engine I'd not expect your leg to get anywhere near that hot. If your leg isn't touching, the cylinder would have to be getting exceptionally hot to have that effect.

I know others have suggested a decat and or remap, but it's possible that those might either exacerbate or mask an underlying problem. The bike shouldn't cause this problem in stock form and as long as your leg isn't resting against the engine, I'd be checking your cooling and lubrication first. The engine is likely to get silly hot if either there's no coolant (or very low coolant) and/or not enough oil
  1. Check the water level in the radiator
  2. Does the water over temp warning light illuminate when the ignition is switched on?
  3. Does the water over temp warning light stay off while riding?
  4. Does the radiator fan cut in and out as you'd expect?
  5. Check the oil level.
  6. Does the low oil pressure warning light illuminate when the ignition is switched on?
  7. Does the low oil pressure warning light stay off while riding?
If the cooling system is empty or low, even though the engine is getting exceptionally hot, it's likely that the water over temp light won't illuminate nor the fan operate as they need to be in the water to measure the temp.

If the oil is low the engine will need more cooling but as long as there's water in the cooling system and that's working ok then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you've very little or no oil then the oil pressure warning light will come on while riding.

If the cooling and lubrication systems are good, then my next step would be to get hold of a contactless thermometer (one suitable for engines they aren't that expensive) and see if there's a significant difference between your left and right cylinder temps, and also if you know of anyone else with a similar bike (or you can get the dealership to lend you another) you can check theirs to see if your cylinder temp is "normal"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ducati monster has a more narrow V twin only one cylinder wide and is positioned different compared to the wider twin head of the twin. The CBR is covered in fairings that contain the heat so I’m not surprised you had no dramas with those bikes.

from the picture it’s seems that due to your short reach you are forced to be right on top of the tank which forces the rest of your body and legs forward as well.

I would get some risers that sweep back (also known as pullback risers) and depending on how much that helps maybe some bars with more backward sweep. This will allow you to move further back on the seat While still reaching the bars. this will also allow you to move your body back and more importantly your knees and calf’s further back and away from the engine.

just something to consider.
Thank you for analyzing my position and coming up with a proposal! I think your idea is a valid idea and might really work. I will try to find out how far away I could achieve with a combination of pullback riser + new bars - and the costs.
- Lyd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That burn looks nasty - are your legs touching the cylinder heads? What's the right leg like?

I'm about 5" (13cm) taller than you but have relatively short legs (28"/70cm inseam) so my leg position might be similar. I've checked on my Street Scrambler, and the centre of my kneecap is pretty much aligned with the top of the spark plug cap which looks pretty much where yours is. I don't have this problem.

I know I have tank pads which splay my legs slightly, but there is a good 2"-3" (5cm-8cm) gap between leg and cylinder head.

Unless your leg is actually resting against the engine I'd not expect your leg to get anywhere near that hot. If your leg isn't touching, the cylinder would have to be getting exceptionally hot to have that effect.

I know others have suggested a decat and or remap, but it's possible that those might either exacerbate or mask an underlying problem. The bike shouldn't cause this problem in stock form and as long as your leg isn't resting against the engine, I'd be checking your cooling and lubrication first. The engine is likely to get silly hot if either there's no coolant (or very low coolant) and/or not enough oil
  1. Check the water level in the radiator
  2. Does the water over temp warning light illuminate when the ignition is switched on?
  3. Does the water over temp warning light stay off while riding?
  4. Does the radiator fan cut in and out as you'd expect?
  5. Check the oil level.
  6. Does the low oil pressure warning light illuminate when the ignition is switched on?
  7. Does the low oil pressure warning light stay off while riding?
If the cooling system is empty or low, even though the engine is getting exceptionally hot, it's likely that the water over temp light won't illuminate nor the fan operate as they need to be in the water to measure the temp.

If the oil is low the engine will need more cooling but as long as there's water in the cooling system and that's working ok then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you've very little or no oil then the oil pressure warning light will come on while riding.

If the cooling and lubrication systems are good, then my next step would be to get hold of a contactless thermometer (one suitable for engines they aren't that expensive) and see if there's a significant difference between your left and right cylinder temps, and also if you know of anyone else with a similar bike (or you can get the dealership to lend you another) you can check theirs to see if your cylinder temp is "normal"
Thanks for answering. My right leg had no issue, no burnings at all.
Regarding heat and check if the heat is especially high with my motorcycle: I am no mechanic and have no clue. I asked 2 Triumph garages to look at my bike and at my riding position. Til now they are all too busy. Unfortunately they don’t take it serious and left me with the words: Never heard of such an issue, the Street Twin is a great bike. For sure it is! Therefore I would really like to keep it - but the 2 Triumph garages I asked seem really to suck in case there is a problem they don’t understand. ..
- Lyd

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks for answering. My right leg had no issue, no burnings at all.
Regarding heat and check if the heat is especially high with my motorcycle: I am no mechanic and have no clue. I asked 2 Triumph garages to look at my bike and at my riding position. Til now they are all too busy. Unfortunately they don’t take it serious and left me with the words: Never heard of such an issue, the Street Twin is a great bike. For sure it is! Therefore I would really like to keep it - but the 2 Triumph garages I asked seem really to suck in case there is a problem they don’t understand. ..
- Lyd
Checking the oil and water levels should be easy for a non-mechanic with or without a clue :)

If you don't have an owner's manual Triumph put it online here:- Manuals

Checking the engine oil levels is on pages 103/4 and coolant on 107/8.

Regarding checking the temp being high on yours, I meant if you checked with a contactless thermometer (something simple like this:- GoolRC Digital Infrared Thermometer Laser Temperature Gun Contactless with Backlight -50-380 ° C: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike you just point it at the cylinder and pull the trigger) and (for example) the left cylinder is at 200C and the right is at 100C then there's a problem with the cylinder that needs investigating.

Similarly if your engine is at 200C when it's hot and a similar engine is at 100C when it's hot then you have a problem that needs investigating.

If it turns out that your cylinders are both at the same measured temp and that is a similar temp to other similar bikes then sorry, you need different legs :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I note the Royal Enfield 650 has a little wire heat shield on the corner of the cylinder heads. It just clips in place. I think a lot of people remove them. Perhaps you could get something similar made up for your bike

Sent from my Redmi 8A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I note the Royal Enfield 650 has a little wire heat shield on the corner of the cylinder heads. It just clips in place. I think a lot of people remove them. Perhaps you could get something similar made up for your bike

Sent from my Redmi 8A using Tapatalk
That would be a very simple solution I would prefer 👌 I will check for it! Thank you, Lyd

1 - 20 of 44 Posts