Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed over the weekend that mi headlights were not functioning properly. Looked into it and found that the prongs on the lights were sealed into the sockets b/c the plastic surrounding them was melted. They are pretty well spent. The plastic (that's left) is brittle and flaky. Any idea how this a happened? Bulbs are 55/60's.

I found some replacement sockets for auto purposes and plan to replace them this week in preparation for an upcoming trip. Will these work? and any ideas what to do to keep them from melting?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Usually poor fitting connections will cause heat build up at the plug. If the end terminals of the plug have been spread open somehow>either by vibration or someone getting physical with the bulb< poor contact can result. Make sure the fit is tight, and also invest in some Dielectric Grease. This stuff helps to dissapate heat at electrical connections. It also prevents water intrusion into electrical connections.
I'm not sure about the automotive socket working. The male blade of the motorcycle bulb may be a different width.
Bigern

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed the sockets and all works fine. I did use the Dielectric Grease, didn't think about the dissipation of heat, just always use it on bikes to keep the water out.

I took a 1200mile plus extended weekend with the sockets and had no issues. Getting the old ones out were difficult as they were melted to the light prongs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts