Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new Thruxton a couple of weeks ago, my 1st Thruxton......took off from being at a stop light and when I raised my left leg up, OUCH! My pants were HOT and it burned. Is there an aftermarket part that will help shield my leg? I had a Street Triple R years ago and this was not a problem.

·
Registered
484 Posts
where did you burn your leg? top of the cam cover is the only place i get my leg sometimes to to something hot. or did you have your leg too close to the pipe when you have your foot down at a stop?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
How long are your legs girl, I'm 5'10 and mine don't come close to ever touching the pipes!

Hang around someone smarter than I will have an answer!

You could also post this in the twin section.
Biggsy

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I've been riding a '05 Thrux all summer long and that has never happened. And, I'm not using those small heat shields at the clamp junction. I agree with Skeeter, you must be placing your leg inboard too close to the pipe. Mine are outside of the peg. I would have to really try to get my leg that close to the pipe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 5'10"...the spot is top of the calf. Its the clutch casing that's getting hot. I had riding boots on and thick jeans thankfully. It was happening while I was waiting at red lights. Was trying to keep my leg as far out and back as I could without losing balance.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'm 5'10"...the spot is top of the calf. Its the clutch casing that's getting hot. I had riding boots on and thick jeans thankfully. It was happening while I was waiting at red lights. Was trying to keep my leg as far out and back as I could without losing balance.
Far be it for me to say, not in a male chauvinistic way, spread your legs girl! Seeing that we are the same height, my legs have never come into contact with anything hot on the bike and why are your legs back?

Off to bed now, its my birthday tomorrow. :D I will check in tomorrow.
Biggsy

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forum. :) Secondly, Be nice boys

My wife is quite short and I have lowered her shocks from the higher Thruxton to the Bonnie types which give you more leg space at a stop. At 5'10" though I would not imagine that this would be too much of a problem for you.

Try altering your leg position when you come to a stop and I think that that will help. I know when I am stopped in Brisbane (80-100F) stop start traffic the side covers do get hot but I just change my leg angle to keep them away.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
At your hgt I do not get the issue. Balancing the bike? My inseam is less than 29" and I'm flat footed on my Thrux. Legs should be straight out from bike, not out and back. But, a picture would be worth a thousand words I guess. At a stop, keep your left foot on the peg and the right on the ground. A slight lean to the right if needed. You can keep your hand on the brake if you want the brake light on. As far out and back sounds like a drag bike takeoff.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Maybe its because your leg is back that this problem occurs! My legs if not mistaken are planted beneath my body mass, slightly infront of the foot pegs and spread apart with my soles flat on the ground.
Biggsy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It occurred when I was in Dallas traffic at stops, legs down, feet planted beneath me and leg not touching the bike. Its the same position I have had on every other bike I have ever had.....this is why I was a little worried. I moved my leg back after the initial 'burn'. steventhechef, I'm starting do what you suggested and I'm planting my right leg instead of my left, its feels a little weird because I'm left handed but I'm adjusting.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
It occurred when I was in Dallas traffic at stops, legs down, feet planted beneath me and leg not touching the bike. Its the same position I have had on every other bike I have ever had.....this is why I was a little worried. I moved my leg back after the initial 'burn'. steventhechef, I'm starting do what you suggested and I'm planting my right leg instead of my left, its feels a little weird because I'm left handed but I'm adjusting.
Was out today on the bike and got to thinking about where and how I plant my feet when coming to a hault, never ever thought about it before, just always seemed to come natural. I tend to plant my left leg down and lean the bike slightly to the left. Works for me as I leave it in first gear ready for take off. Think the chef maybe right about your right foot though, would make sense if in the wrong gear! Only ever put both feet on the deck, when its seems I might have a wait.

Never, ever thought about this:confused:
Biggsy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a new bike for me and I'm guessing there are going to be a few things here and there that I haven't experienced in the past. I'm loving the bike, happy that I finally got one.....it's been a long time on my bucket list. Now I'm going to start looking at all the little things to add, remove and mod.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Its the same position I have had on every other bike I have ever had.....this is why I was a little worried. I moved my leg back after the initial 'burn'.
I had a similiar problem when I first started riding my thruxton. Not only the clutch cover but the cylinder heads while riding. I was seating myself with (lady present, trying to keep this clean) well I was really close to the tank. This was the seating position I had used on every motorcycle since my honda 250...many decades ago (there were nine planets in our solar system back then!).
Anyway a forum member suggested sitting with my rear touching or almost touching the rear cowl. Felt odd and way more aggressive to me, but solved the leg burn issue and some minor handling issues I was experiencing. My legs come down naturally now to the rear of the pegs and my knees are at the bottom knee pad area while riding. I'm 5'11".

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've always made a habit of planting my legs out as far as possible from the bike as I can while maintaining control of the weight. I'm 5'8" on a good day and not once have ever had a leg get hot even stuck on in 90 degree bumper to bumper traffic.

The closer you legs are to the bike stopped the more likely you are to tip anyway. One really strong gust of wind and you might be wishing you had a wider stance....just saying.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've had this happen to me a few times and found that the solution is simply to only put down my left leg, keeping the right foot on the brake, and keep it further from the bike. I don't think there's any aftermarket part that would help you here. I'm only 5'8" so you'll be fine!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been trying out the advice and the heat is not a problem any longer. Been getting out quite a bit since the weather has cooled a bit here in Dallas. Loving this bike!!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Been trying out the advice and the heat is not a problem any longer. Been getting out quite a bit since the weather has cooled a bit here in Dallas. Loving this bike!!!

Picture of bike please!!!!!!!!!!! Any mods, keep us informed. They are the coolest bikes going, a real head turner!

Never gets cool in Dallas.................:rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts