Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Recently, after giving my '04 Daytona a service, I noticed that one of the female plastic fuel fittings (the ones attached to the tank plate) had a small crack, resulting in a small fuel leak.

A little research revealed that the plastic fuel fittings seem to be a source of quite a few problems, so I bit the bullet and ordered some Colder LC series fittings from quickcouplings.com. While I was there I also ordered a full set of fittings for my '04 Sprint (prevention is better than cure, so they say. :))

After I ordered, I did a bit more reading and discovered that many people recommend only using fittings with Viton O-rings, as these are apparently more suitable for fuel systems. According to the Colder website, the fittings I ordered are fitted with Buna-N O-rings.

Now, I know next to nothing about various O-ring materials, but I did some Internet research and everything I read suggests that Buna-N is suitable for fuel systems.

So my questions are; Should I be worried about the O-rings? Should I swap them for Viton ones?

The male fittings are easy enough to change, but I've read that changing the O-rings on the female fittings is quite fiddly.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

·
Registered
509 Posts
You should probably secure a set of Viton O-rings.
Buna N is OK for gasoline but really only suitable for contact with ethanol for short periods (<48 hrs). Viton can take unlimited exposure.

Ethanol will cause swelling of the BunaN O-ring which won't really hurt anything till you disassemble the connectors. Then the swelling will become apparent and you will likely damage the O-ring on assembly leading to a leak.

I would say go ahead and use them but, the next time you take one apart, be prepared to replace the O-ring with the Viton one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Ed, it is much appreciated.

Given the info you posted, I think I'll just replace the O-rings before I fit the parts.

Thanks again.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts