Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
And this is why a certain amount of political correctness may not be an entirely bad thing.
Only if political correctness is a euphemism for thin-skinned Americans.:p
(Now where did I put that flame-suit?)

·
Premium Member
7,030 Posts
In Australia I always find the

"I XXXXXXX* and I vote" type stickers a little amusing

In the US they make sense - a minority of people vote in the US so they are making the point that you ignore their issues at your peril but in Australia only a few percent don't vote so to me it is like saying:

"I XXXXXX* and am over 18"

(* substitute 4wd/horse ride/hunt/listen to the ABC/cycle/whatever)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I don't know what it's like in the US. But out here it used to be that an Aussie flag on a car would signify a proud Aussie at the wheel. These days though it's more likely to signify that there's an ultra right-wing nationalist at the wheel, who's idea of loyalty to the flag is vastly different to mine. Maybe SlowPocono was referring to that kind of mentality?
Sadly, I find this to be all to true here in the US. While we have plenty of honestly patriotic folk who fly the flag, we also have a large number of people who need to look up the meaning of jingoism. Believe it or not, disagreeing with the uber-right-wing does not mean you are anti-American.

it followed a post about another sticker by using the same answer and I took it as meaning it doesn't matter what the sticker says, if it is a car then the driver is probably a distracted idiot and thought it a clever response. I didn't even think it as meant offensively until people got antsy.
That's actually how I read it too.

FWIW, I have no bumper stickers myself. The rear window of my truck does sport a set of water-jet cut polished s/s letters about 2.5" tall that spell out the Donzi script. Since the truck tows a Donzi 22 Classic it seems appropriate. Although it does cause some confusion as my name is Don.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Actually it WAS, but I was hoping they wouldn't notice.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
And this is why a certain amount of political correctness may not be an entirely bad thing.
Oh, that's going to leave a mark. :D

Well, actually, political correctness isn't a euphamism that refers to a group of people. If you'd said "political correctness is necessary to prevent a bunch of thin-skinned people from getting their undergarments twisted into an uncomfortable wad thereby rendering them unduly irritable," then your statement might make sense.

Oh, America also produces some world-class nitpickers. A fact of which we are justly proud. Well, I am anyway. :D

Sadly, I find this to be all to true here in the US. While we have plenty of honestly patriotic folk who fly the flag, we also have a large number of people who need to look up the meaning of jingoism. Believe it or not, disagreeing with the uber-right-wing does not mean you are anti-American.
...no more than disagreeing with them makes you a better citizen... But we're getting awfully close to contra-AUP political discourse here.

And you should have said "too true," not "to true." :p

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Well, actually, political correctness isn't a euphamism that refers to a group of people. If you'd said "political correctness is necessary to prevent a bunch of thin-skinned people from getting their undergarments twisted into an uncomfortable wad thereby rendering them unduly irritable," then your statement might make sense.
Is that it?
You mean I put all this crap on for that?

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Is that it?
You mean I put all this crap on for that?
Gotcha! This was actually an elaborate plot between spank and I to get you to put on the tinfoil suit. But there isn't a sign on the back or anything, so don't look for it.:LaughAtYou

Seriously though, I've moderated this forum for... anybody know? Anyway a long time, and I moderated the Political Planet when it was in orbit... you don't think I've got a thicker skin than this?

....Oh, no, wait, that's a thicker head. Never mind.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
And you should have said "too true," not "to true." :p
I'm officially requesting a pass on this one. As I write this my computer says it's 10:42 PM at home, but I'm sitting on a plane, freezing my arse off in a window seat, on my way from San Juan, PR by way of Atlanta where I had a 5 hr lay over. On San Juan time, it's 2:42 AM...

Since I'm still about 2 hrs from landing at SFO, I'm probably about over your neck of the woods. You'd better be nice HiD or I'll tell the captain to dump the holding tanks! :eek:

Unrelated Puerto Rico note: The police ride cruisers with hard bags. A wide range of bikes, from Sporties to Shadows to Stars...seems to be whatever was on sale that week.

Unrelated note two (note correct use of 'two'): Honda must have sold a TON of nighthawks in San Juan - I think every 3rd bike I saw in town was a beater nighthawk.

Unrelated note three: Second most common bike seen around San Juan? 'busa.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am amused with the the "Back Off" or "Get off my tail" stickers with the Looney toons Taz pic.

Guess which lane they're in and going 5 mph below the speed limit?

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
"I love animals. They're delicious"

One common sticker around here: "My child is an honor student at xxxxx school". It reminds me of Lake Wobegone, where all the children are above average.

Another is the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's "Save the Bay" sticker on the back of massive gas-guzzling fume-spewing SUVs.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
In Australia I always find the

"I XXXXXXX* and I vote" type stickers a little amusing
In New South Wales ( Australian State ) they have a shooters party that has two Federal members and they got the NSW State forests opened to balloted licensed hunting. There voting profile is fishermen , hunters, 4wdrivers etc. So I think it does have some credibility in that sense.

my favourite is AUSTRALIA [email protected]#$ OFF WHERE FULL !....

Means stop importing cheap labour.

:Sheep:Sheep:Sheep:Sheep:NZflag

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I'm officially requesting a pass on this one. As I write this my computer says it's 10:42 PM at home, but I'm sitting on a plane, freezing my arse off in a window seat, on my way from San Juan, PR by way of Atlanta where I had a 5 hr lay over. On San Juan time, it's 2:42 AM...
Awww, poor baby, suffering jet lag on the way back from the tropics... my heart bleeds. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
84 Posts
" This car climbed Mount Washington" = New respect for a rusted out 1972 Datsun hatchback
Now to find a patch that says "This ass climbed Mt Washington. Twice!" The MW Auto Road and the train irritated the heck out of me the first time I climbed the Lion Head Trail.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
I'm not one for bumper stickers, esp not political ones. No matter what side you profess your loyalty to half of the people will think you're an idiot!(At least in the US anyway). I know an idiot that actually followed an Obama sticker for 10 miles because it pissed him off sooo muuch!!!

As for religion and other propoganda, I don't need to advertise my school, hobbies, mode of worship, etc.....

As for what I think of the opposing driver, maybe they are a little narcissistic.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts