Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First of all, Merry Xmas. I have a doubt in respect something that happened with my '08 Speedmaster: for at least four times I had a feeling like a bump under my seat, three times when starting and one time stalling.

One of my colleagues told me something similar happened to him two months after acquiring his America, always when starting, and the final result was the starter bracket collapse which could only be solved by changing the engine.

Have someone had the same problem, so I am sure that may happen to me?

If there is danger to my engine, I would like to anticipate by accessing the starter and having a look at the support bracket. I do not want to become paranoid and disassemble the whole motorcycle to find a ghost.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
177 Posts
Call the Dealer and ask the Service Manager if this is a known problem, he should certainly know if other bikes have had an issue.

I don't think that you need to "take the whole bike apart" to investigate, why not pull the seat off, look for any marks on the underside indicating contact, and then hit the starter button to see if anything moves.

If unsure of your mechanical abilities, take it into the Dealer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer, daleCarlsbad. I have done so, tried several times starting with the seat removed. One thing that always happens is in the very first stroke the air tends to go outwards of intake instead, which I think is normal until air flow establishes its normal way.

I have seen nothing abnormal and could not reproduce the bumping effect, even trying several times with and without pulling the choke.

The problem is the dealer in my city is useless, slow and I don't trust him (unfortunately I live in an island). I will try that way, but I am afraid they will not concern unless the engine collapses.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
A "bump" in the seat sounds like a simple backfire into the airbox.You`re not twisting the throttle a bit before or while pushing the starter button,right? My bike will pop the pods off if I even think about giving it ANY throttle.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi rodburner. No, definitively I never twist the throttle at start. This is for sure one of the worst ways to accelerate wear and damage as at this moment the engine lacks lubrication.
When you say "simple backfire", you mean this is normal?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks sweatmachine. I also could not find any link between both events, but this is the only info I had up to date. The more I think about it the less I consider both things being related, and I am happy to see someone confirms it. It is just I am maybe worried about nothing...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I am not familiar with the Speedmaster seat configuration; however, for peace of mind, I would check to make sure the motor mount bolts are tightened to specs and the airbox is tightened to specs if it were mine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for advice: I will do it. For sure is something more related to the airbox than any other thing. Today I went for a 60 Km route and the motorcycle behavior was excellent...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, many thanks to all that had the kindness to answer this topic. I have checked all inside the airbox, re-tightened everything, and all seems to be ok and working properly.

I will not worry anymore about it :knockknock:. In my opinion, after checking all parts related and taking your answers into consideration :beerchug: , I have to accept perhaps sometimes the piston positions at start or stall can make the air go way back and produce this bump effect. So, nothing to worry about. This effect seldom happened and it is not being reproduced so as to think about it as a problem.

For sure the starter is not related to this, and my coleague told me after the engine change at least once he noticed the bump again.

If there was any other issue about it, for sure I will post.

Merry Xmas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts