Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to bring to your attention what happen to a fellow motorcyclist who put a deposit down on a new Rocket R then after seeing it for the first time decided not to go through with the purchase, it was agreed with the dealership that if he pulled out of the purchase he would be refunded in full. this person was into videoing as he had his own site but posted it on Youtube explaining the reasons why he changed him mind, this log went viral the 2 weeks over the Christmas period with 150000 hits and over 3000 comments and this got a quick response from Triumph telling him to take it down or else. This person has now put another Youtube log explaining what has happened and it should be see to all, go to Youtube and type in Rocket Remorse. All I can say is bully boss tactics from Triumph.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Was in in the motorcycle industry for 20+ years and always stymied by manufacturers that forgot that people don't have to buy motorcycles ... they have to WANT to buy motorcycles.

Didn't get to see the referenced original post but did see the follow up.

Kinda seems like the YT poster wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

He wanted to be an insider and liked the privileges that came with but also wanted to be a customer and that's a hard get.

If he was dealing with an authorized Triumph dealer then whatever sales terms were agreed to should be enforced. If he got an "inside" deal direct from Triumph he had to consider that reneging on the purchase would surely have repercussions from Triumph and that posting Triumph's displeasure would put that relationship in jeopardy. Was still stupid for Triumph to put their displeasure in an email rather than just cutting the YT poster off.

If the YT poster thinks he was treated badly by triumph wait till he has to fight with BMW...

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Not having seen the original video, I can‘t comment on Triumph’s reaction to it. The OP appears to be a journalist who gets bikes from manufacturers to review. He was apparently also a buyer. I find it hard to see how he would have put 1000 down on a Rocket as he wound up buying a road worthy dirt bike. These are two different worlds and he is clearly not in the Rocket world. Having owned two Rockets and other cruisers, I’m not the dirt bike (Adventure, in modern idiom) type. My problem with the new Rocket is that it is not set up like a proper cruiser. It looks like a naked street fighter, which I guess is Triumph’s intent. However, if I had one, it wouldn’t sit in the garage as an ornament.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
What does his purchase order say? Deposit terms are usually plainly there. Refundable will be noted and initialed if that's the local legal exception. Next...

That being said, we never held deposits on units which weren't strictly allocated and could be moved rapidly. Tightly allocated and special orders were never refunded. Terms were in BIG print.

·
Driftless Admin
11,436 Posts
Yikes. Not sure Triumph did more damage to it's brand by requesting that be taken down rather than just letting some criticism stand. Usually better to ignore such stuff, IMO.

I know I never would have known anything about the video if the guy hadn't been asked to take it down. And the opinion transfers from an opinion about one bike that Triumph makes to an opinion about the entire company. Doesn't seem like a net gain to me.

Then again, I'm not clear if Triumph Corp or the local dealer sent the letter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Having seen the original video, my main recollection is that having seen the bike in the metal it just didn't appeal to him any more, and it seemed somewhat pointless. The dealer had agreed to cancel his order and return his deposit.

That first video went up just as interest in the new bike was peaking and even though it was just one chap realising it wasn't for him, the potential to tarnish the reputation of the new Triumph "Halo" bike was huge. With loads of people looking for reviews of the new Rocket, having the most watched one being a bloke saying what he doesn't like about it isn't great advertising. With this in mind i fully understand why Triumph wanted it out of the way.

OK, the way they achieved it may have been rather heavy handed, but I suspect that if (like it or not) Triumph had a strong legal case for it to go, Triumph wanted to avoid a protracted period of to-ing and fro-ing.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I didn't think the video did any damage to potential sales and why wouldn't triumph corporate want to weed out the naive deposit's that would inflate sales anyhow? I always thought of the R3 and T-bird as poor mans harleys and now they've morphed into big mans diavel. The versatility of both bikes being fun around town and capable tourers with a couple acc's. The new R3 looks much more like a streetfighter than something i'm putting saddlebags on and riding to florida come spring.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I think they’re 20 L each. And you could get topcase for the luggage rack. Not an obvious choice for touring, though.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
My 06 R3 with saddlebags and that luggage rack could carry more than my gtl I traded it for. I want to see how this new trans holds up also.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
I saw the original video. To me it just seemed like he had buyers remorse, which makes sense when you put a deposit on a bike that you've never seen in person.
I doubt that dealer had any trouble selling that bike. To me, Triumph should just ignore the video, it did them no harm!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts