Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install some rear bullet turn signals just behind the rear shocks of my Thruxton. Looking at some pics of the other bike mod's it seem's that they make a bracket using some 1/4" * 1" bar stock 3" long and mount it to the top shock bolt.

Is this how it's done or is there a better way?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes that is the easiest way to do it alot of the vendors sell Signal Relocation Brackets.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
New Bonneville sells them in semi gloss black and Bellacorse in chrome. I went with the NB brackets because they are less visible. They are mounted behind the shock...not in between the shock and frame. I am in the process of doing this on my new T-100. I believe the female thread is M8 and will find out shortly.
Hope that helps,
George
Pic of mounting...remove the fender is advised.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I tried them on my Thruxton
not good
the signal is very hard to see from the other side of the bike
i.e. the left signal is hard to see if the person behind you is a bit to the right of you
better to mount them more to the rear or to the tail light housing

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I tried them on my Thruxton
not good
the signal is very hard to see from the other side of the bike
i.e. the left signal is hard to see if the person behind you is a bit to the right of you
better to mount them more to the rear or to the tail light housing
Please give us a riding scenario where you got into trouble with the shock mounted turn signals. I am having a hard time visualizing why if a vehicle were obliquely positioned say off your right rear quarter and couldn't see you left rear turn signal, why this would be an issue as you would be turning away (left) from the line of sight of the motorist with blocked vision. If you are turning right ie into the same motorist with right signal deployed, the motorist off your right rear quarter would see it. In front...no issue of course. So don't see the basis for your concern.
George

·
Registered
387 Posts
Please give us a riding scenario where you got into trouble with the shock mounted turn signals. I am having a hard time visualizing why if a vehicle were obliquely positioned say off your right rear quarter and couldn't see you left rear turn signal, why this would be an issue as you would be turning away (left) from the line of sight of the motorist with blocked vision. If you are turning right ie into the same motorist with right signal deployed, the motorist off your right rear quarter would see it. In front...no issue of course. So don't see the basis for your concern.
George
I have been giving this some thought... and this is from speculation only as I haven't done an on-the-street trial. But coming up to a turn situation with a car too close behind (common in this area) I tend to put on my turn signal well in advance of hitting the brakes (turning on the rear brake light). If the car is off the my right rear quarter enough not so see the shock mounted signal light and couldn't see my left turn signal I think there would be a greater chance of getting rear ended if the driver couldn't see the turn signal well in advance of the brake light.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have been giving this some thought... and this is from speculation only as I haven't done an on-the-street trial. But coming up to a turn situation with a car too close behind (common in this area) I tend to put on my turn signal well in advance of hitting the brakes (turning on the rear brake light). If the car is off the my right rear quarter enough not so see the shock mounted signal light and couldn't see my left turn signal I think there would be a greater chance of getting rear ended if the driver couldn't see the turn signal well in advance of the brake light.
I believe that is reaching a bit as if he is in your lane behind you, he will see the left turn signal. If he is in the lane to your right, he can't hit you.
My opinion only.
George

·
Registered
387 Posts
I believe that is reaching a bit as if he is in your lane behind you, he will see the left turn signal. If he is in the lane to your right, he can't hit you.
My opinion only.
George
You are probably right. I just thought I would razz you a little bit since you have already installed the new signals. I knew you would be good natured about it. BTW, the bike sure looks a lot cleaner that way. What is the ETA of the TORS?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You are probably right. I just thought I would razz you a little bit since you have already installed the new signals. I knew you would be good natured about it. BTW, the bike sure looks a lot cleaner that way. What is the ETA of the TORS?
Actually, I haven't installed them yet and am waiting for the parts so there is time to change my mind. :p
What you saw in that pic was a photoshop of what they will look like. My background is product development and I do a fair amount of pshopping for concepts.
The bike will look a whole lot cleaner. You will see what I mean when you get a good look at the ET rear tail light and satelite turn signals. :)
I enjoy modding honestly...always been a passion.
As to tail gaters Easy...depending on my mood I either tap my brakes, accelerate hard or move over and let the JA's pass. I wouldn't rely on my turn signals to send a subliminal message or otherwise.
Best,
George

·
Registered
387 Posts
Actually, I haven't installed them yet and am waiting for the parts so there is time to change my mind. :p
What you saw in that pic was a photoshop of what they will look like. My background is product development and I do a fair amount of pshopping for concepts.
The bike will look a whole lot cleaner. You will see what I mean when you get a good look at the ET rear tail light and satelite turn signals. :)
I enjoy modding honestly...always been a passion.
As to tail gaters Easy...depending on my mood I either tap my brakes, accelerate hard or move over and let the JA's pass. I wouldn't rely on my turn signals to send a subliminal message or otherwise.
Best,
George
Biker7: You sly dog you. I went back and looked at those two comparison pictures...in this thread:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...ear-light-coverage-of-bonny-fender-holes.html

and a close look does reveal that it is photoshop...but you certainly fooled me on my first glance.

Yes, from the pictures and showroom bikes I realize how enormous the taillight/turnsignal assembly is. But like other things, I am going to live with it for a while. For me the whole idea is to ride the bike in the country with a warm sun beaming down and relaxing while I breathe in the scenery and go no where in particular. I will be doing some minor tinkering I'm sure..but I haven't been bitten by the modification bug quite as badly as some on this site. Not that there is anything wrong with that! It's just that I have a limited budget and other priorities.

I mean, if I listened to everyone here...the exhaust is horrible, the 19 inch wire spoked front wheel "sucks", the front and rear shocks need replacing, the turn signals and rear light have to be changed, there isn't near enough horsepower, the motor can't breathe until I remove the airbox, I have to install a 19 tooth countersprocket gear, my knob is going to fall off, oil will start leaking from the head cover as soon as I pull out of the dealer's lot, the header pipes are going to turn blue down to the crossover pipe if I don't immediately remove the AI, I have to get it remapped, the mirrors have to be remounted on the handlebar ends, I need a centerstand or bike lift to lube the chain, etc. etc.

Makes you wonder why I ordered a Bonneville? And yet, I still am beyond excited about taking delivery of my T100.

As for tailgaiters. How about a rear-mounted Dillon Minigun with a remote trigger on the handlebar. ;) That would get their attention.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Biker7: You sly dog you. I went back and looked at those two comparison pictures...in this thread:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...ear-light-coverage-of-bonny-fender-holes.html

and a close look does reveal that it is photoshop...but you certainly fooled me on my first glance.

Yes, from the pictures and showroom bikes I realize how enormous the taillight/turnsignal assembly is. But like other things, I am going to live with it for a while. For me the whole idea is to ride the bike in the country with a warm sun beaming down and relaxing while I breathe in the scenery and go no where in particular. I will be doing some minor tinkering I'm sure..but I haven't been bitten by the modification bug quite as badly as some on this site. Not that there is anything wrong with that! It's just that I have a limited budget and other priorities.

I mean, if I listened to everyone here...the exhaust is horrible, the 19 inch wire spoked front wheel "sucks", the front and rear shocks need replacing, the turn signals and rear light have to be changed, there isn't near enough horsepower, the motor can't breathe until I remove the airbox, I have to install a 19 tooth countersprocket gear, my knob is going to fall off, oil will start leaking from the head cover as soon as I pull out of the dealer's lot, the header pipes are going to turn blue down to the crossover pipe if I don't immediately remove the AI, I have to get it remapped, the mirrors have to be remounted on the handlebar ends, I need a centerstand or bike lift to lube the chain, etc. etc.

Makes you wonder why I ordered a Bonneville? And yet, I still am beyond excited about taking delivery of my T100.

As for tailgaiters. How about a rear-mounted Dillon Minigun with a remote trigger on the handlebar. ;) That would get their attention.
Like many motorheads, I used to get pretty extensive and have tapered off in later years. I could give you some philosophical drivel as to why but will spare you. :p
I won't go to hog wild on this bike but then again...
never say never. :D I would actually like to build the engine a bit...big rear tire...all kinds of stuff. ;)
Best,
George

1 - 12 of 12 Posts