Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the bezel off to change headlamp bulb? There is a hole at the bottom, but nothing seems to release. 2016 T120.:hmmthink

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If it's the same as the the 2016 Thruxton there are two screws behind the bezel which secure the headlight assembly into the bowl.

·
Registered
441 Posts
There are two bolts to remove at roughly 4 and 8 o’clock and the bezel has to be lifted up to release the (unseen) securing clip.
When replacing the rim you’ll need to pull down the shield at around 1 o’clock as the securing clip is located otherwise it’ll sit on the wrong side of the shield and the clip will deform the headlamp shell.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Further,....beware, there is a small connector on the back of the headlight assembly that if not released carefully is easily broken.
There was a threat on this subject some time ago.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bezel removal

Thanks everyone for your solution. I was expecting a screw on the bezel and did not realize it was the screws at 8 and 4. I will get at this tomorrow. I'm wondering too, why low beam burned out. I assume the bulb contains both high and low? And I assume that it is the low beam which comes on automatically when starting and running the bike. Not familiar with the led light tech, other then I believe it should last for many years. Even my "70 BSA, with the standard bulb has never burned out.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Right, the bulb has hi and low filaments, so orientation during installation is important. The OEM halogen bulbs usually last a long time. I'm still on the original. Auto parts stores do sell spares though. I figure it's the fact that I have one taped inside of my right side cover that keeps my OEM bulb from burning out. It's right next to the necessary 5mm hex key.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, the bulb has hi and low filaments, so orientation during installation is important. The OEM halogen bulbs usually last a long time. I'm still on the original. Auto parts stores do sell spares though. I figure it's the fact that I have one taped inside of my right side cover that keeps my OEM bulb from burning out. It's right next to the necessary 5mm hex key.
Good info. I used to carry a spare clutch cable, bulb and zener diode in my headlamp on my past Bonnevilles, and of course they were never needed.

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
The bulb in my Speed Twin lasted 7 months / 3600 miles. Replaced it with with a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 bulb. Hopefully it'll give me a little bit more life than the Philips did.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
It seemed that there were a lot of bad bulbs for the T120s and it was well discussed here. Mine lasted less then a year. I replaced with a high priced PIAA and it hasn’t burned out. It isn’t any better because the reflector on the T120 is the culprit for bad high beam behavior.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bulb low beam out

Okay, I have the headlight off. It looks like you have to take the screws out and remove the clip holding the bulb in. Is that correct, or do you just pull the bulb out physically. Looks like just the rubber is holding it in?

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Okay, I have the headlight off. It looks like you have to take the screws out and remove the clip holding the bulb in. Is that correct, or do you just pull the bulb out physically. Looks like just the rubber is holding it in?
with the bulb/reflector removed and unplugged from the wiring harness, you should be able to pull back he rubber boot, release the wire spring clip and pull the bulb out. Installation would be in reverse order. The only screws you should have to deal with would be the two exterior screws/bolts to remove the headlight unit from the bucket.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Right, DO NOT unscrew the wire bale holding the lamp base. The bale screws there are sunk into plastic and they'll strip easily. Just unlatch the bale on the other side, swing it out of the way, and remove the bulb.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bulb low beam out

I Assume you have to unscrew the clip holding the bulb in, or can you just pull the bulb out? It looks like just the rubber is holding it in. Don't want to mess up the first time

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holy Smokes Batman. I just bought the same bulb at O'Reily's auto parts for $30.58. A long way from what a bulb used to cost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After the fact, and spending 30 bucks on a bulb, I took a look and sure enough...$1.58 for an H4 55/60. I've tried the best??? If that burns out I'll try the $1.58 bulb.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Order the bulb now. Takes several weeks for delivery. It will be a good back up bulb in the future. You won't be disappointed in the quality of the $1.58 bulb.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good idea, it appears that the H4 is the same bulb used in my '69 Chev truck headlights (conversion). (Unless, of course, you have the sealed beam).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts