Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
My progress is held up again by other businesses and retailers. I've been dealing with trying to get an ebay seller by the name of The2Wheels to send me the correct lever for far too long now. I've ordered two different sets from them. The first set, I thought I had ordered the wrong set, so I ordered another, just to find out they were sending me the wrong set (they've sent me two sets now for a 2012 street triple, which also fit all the bonneville variants, but I need levers for a 2012 street triple R). Now, I've been going back and forth for a week, trying to get them to send the correct item, only to get jerked around. I've finally had to just order another set from a different retailer, and I'll have ebay refund my money from the losers at The2Wheels.
Also, I called the powder coater (who has my front and rear rims and outer fork tubes) on the day I was told my parts would be ready, and they said it would be another week and a half. I've already waited a week for them to do at most, 2 hours of work (I sanded and prepped the parts before I brought them to the powder coater). All they had to do was a final cleaning/wipe-down, then coat and bake. I'm getting really tired of ordering parts and receiving wrong parts, which then hold up my progress. I'm also sick of being told a time frame for parts ordered or services rendered, only to wait two to three times as long, which then holds up my progress. One of the first parts I tried to order back when I was still in the planning stage, was an aluminum seat cowl from Tab Classics. I didn't have an issue with Tab directly, but he had sent an extra seat cowl to a friend of his in Texas, so that there would be one here in North America when someone here ordered one. The problem was, his friend was trying to charge me $50 to ship this cowl from TX to NC. That was a ripoff price, and I really don't deal well with someone trying to rip me off, so I didn't order the part. When I did finally get a seat cowl from another forum member on here, it cost $14 to send it across the entire country, West coast to East coast, proving that the guy in TX was trying to rip me off. Where has the integrity gone? Honestly, dealing with other people has been the worst part of this build. I've had very good luck with the people on this forum (with the exception of one transaction), and I thank the people on this forum for making a digital community which has unusual integrity. An integrity which I personally think should not be unusual at all, and it saddens me that it is.

I've started putting parts on the bike, cleaning the frame and engine, mounted another piece of aluminum on top of the tail light as a cover for the wiring, mounted a steel fender blank as protection for the underside of the seat and back of the engine. I can't do any of the real work that is left until I get the parts back from the powder coater, and they're taking their sweet time. Starting later this week, I'll be gone for a few weeks working at two festivals back to back. Grandfather Mountain Highland Games, and then either the Allgood music festival in OH, or Grassroots music festival in NY. If I don't run into anymore delays, I should have the bike together quickly after that.

Here is where it sits right now:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I'm back from 2 weeks of working at music festivals, it's time to get down to business! My large powder coated parts are back in my hands, and I thought that would be my last hurdle for getting past delays caused by other people. I can't be that lucky. I went to the post office to pick up a package that was being held for delivery, and they lost it. Great job government employees, you do your job so well. :bluduh

Luckily, it was just a set of tank grips, and I've gone ahead and ordered another set, because who know how long it will be till they find the package. If they ever do find it, I'll have a set of old-school style tank grips for sale in the classifieds.

Here are some pictures of work I did before I left. Powder coating the spoke nipples:

I got a factory chrome gas cap from another member on here, removed the ugly sticker that was on it, brushed it to make it look sweet, and happened to sand through the chrome plating around a small part of the edge. the color underneath is a beautiful copper, so I removed the chrome around the rest of the edge to give it a really sweet copper accent, left the rest of it brushed, and clear coated it. Serendipity.

Rims after picking them up from the powder coater yesterday:

I assembled the rims with the spokes that I had PC'd satin black and the nipples I had PC'd copper, and this is what they look like (they aren't trued yet, just assembled), Oh yea, I also painted the rear hub black:

I also reassembled the forks with the newly PC'd satin black outer tubes. I think they will look much better on the bike like this than they would have brass/gold. I had to repair some damage that was done to the fork tubes by the powder coater (which they failed to tell me about), but I've learned all too well that's the price you pay for having someone else do work for you (again.. where is the integrity? someone tell me where the integrity has gone.. I'm moving there).
Anyway, 2012 street triple fork tubes, 2009 daytona cartridges, race tech .95 springs, AmsOil Shock Therapy #10 fluid.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i love this thread, the bike is looking amazing!- i really love that sprocket cover.

they say imitation is the best form of flattery, so i hope you'll be flattered by me totally attempting to copy your idea!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
i love this thread, the bike is looking amazing!- i really love that sprocket cover.

they say imitation is the best form of flattery, so i hope you'll be flattered by me totally attempting to copy your idea!!!
I wish I could take credit for that sprocket cover, but I copied that piece from the Britalmoto bonneville. It's the only piece on the bike that I copied from another design.

I've mounted the fork, tires (tubeless) and clip-ons, and placed the tank and seat on the bike to see what it looks like. I had to take the tank and seat back off to finish some wiring and other things, but I took a few pics of the bike sitting on its own legs, looking nearly finished. Here's a teaser photo for those of you who are watching to see. I'm going to wait to post full pics until it is complete.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I also reassembled the forks with the newly PC'd satin black outer tubes. I think they will look much better on the bike like this than they would have brass/gold. I had to repair some damage that was done to the fork tubes by the powder coater (which they failed to tell me about), but I've learned all too well that's the price you pay for having someone else do work for you. Anyway, 2012 street triple fork tubes, 2009 daytona cartridges, race tech .95 springs, AmsOil Shock Therapy #10 fluid.

Hatta - fantastic work! Amazing attention to detail. Love the raw. Love the imperfections. The side covers and sproket cover look killer!

Question for you on the forks:
I've got gold GSXR 1000 forks on my bike and want to lose the gold. I was told that if I were to powder coat/heat the fork tubes, they could slightly warp and not hold a good seal again. Can you explain your process and any advice?

Thanks!

Here's mine:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Thanks for the compliments bullitt! I've really wanted to do a single-sided exhaust like that, but when I contacted TEC bike parts, they said they would only sell the entire kit, not just the 2-1 headers like I wanted. I want to buy 2-1 headers, then fit one of my D&D mufflers to it. I'll keep searching for a company that will sell me just the headers. I don't like the sound of the arrow or TEC mufflers. I want a 2-1 that sounds mean.

Concerning the fork tubes, they are going to resist warp because they are tubes. Tubes inherently are very resistant to warping due to heat; unlike a solid piece of metal, which can warp when heated due to variations in thermal energy along its length and diameter. Anyway, the powder coating process only bakes at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. That temperature is not high enough to temper high quality aluminum, so you should be fine. I'll let you know if my forks snap in half though :). My small PC oven was not large enough to bake the fork tubes, so I had to outsource those, as well as the wheel rims. I personally have powder coated everything else. Before you bring your tubes to a powder coater, be sure to remove the rubber parts (dust covers, oil seals) as well as rinse out the tube with rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol to remove any remaining oil. Then let it dry (I pushed a lint-free cloth through the tube to remove most of the liquid after rinsing). I was able to remove my rubber parts without causing any damage, and I reused them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
I haven't called BC yet to see if they will sell me just the header pipes (I already have the D&D mufflers, so if I can save some money, I'll go that route). The place that powder coated my rims and fork tubes only charge $100 total, so I don't imagine anyone should charge you more than $60 to do the fork tubes alone. Black will definitely look better on your bike, considering the color scheme of the rest of your bike. I like that yours have black slider tubes. I found a company that makes colored slider tubes, including copper, but the 2012 street triple was not on their list. Copper slider tubes with black outer tubes would have looked great on mine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah man, gotta save where we can. What about selling your D&D mufflers to offset some of the costs of the BC kit?

I do love the black sliders on my forks - that was a big selling point for me. Black on black would look slick I have to imagine...Already blacked out the reservoirs on the rear shocks since that photo. Think I'm gonna ceramic coat the exhaust black too. And yeah, copper sliders on your bike would be very unique (and cool).

141 - 160 of 189 Posts