Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Could you keep us updated as to costs to do this build? I'm really curious as to whether this kind of project is financially viable or is just a money pit.
Certainly. When I'm near completion, I'll post a list of what and how much. From the beginning, I've been estimating no more than $4500 total for the entire thing, but that's with me doing all the labor (other than powder coating and anodizing).

QUESTION!!

I've been looking for replacements for the throttle handlebar mount because I'm going to move the right side switches to hidden locations, and on my t100, the switch housing is built into the throttle handlebar mount and brake master cylinder (all one unit, see below).

This is how I thought all the modern bonneville derivatives were built, but then I found these (see below), both labeled as from a modern bonneville. Did these actually come from a modern bonneville? If they will work, they'll suit my purpose fine. I would like to find those throttle cables in the US though, if these truly will work.

I also received a daytona 675 fork cartridge today, and I'll be taking apart one of the street triple forks to see if it will go together. If so, I'll need another one!

AND, I have 4 barnett green clutch springs thanks to davidc, and one other member who I don't remember the name because I've already deleted the PMs (50 PM limit fills up quick). So, sorry to the other guy who sent me springs. I'll be installing those today.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Eureka!

The '09 daytona 675 cartridge works perfect in the '12 street triple fork. I found the different parts of another one, so I'm just going to build the second cartridge from two different broken cartridges; and order stiffer springs.. probably race tech. Assembled, the hybrid fork is about 4.3mm longer as it stands right now.

PICS!!

top cartridge: '12 street triple
bottom cartridge: '09 daytona 675

'09 daytona 675 cartridge installed (temporarily) in a '12 street triple fork tube

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Well, I snagged a used set of 2012 800xc front rotors from the UK.. and after shipping, it was still less than the cost of one new rotor.

Well I have to give my wife credit. She was perfectly fine with me turning part of our sun room into a workshop. She's an awesome woman. We decided to not buy a place with a garage in favor of a condo that we could easily rent out after I graduate and we move away, so she's very understanding of my need to have projects, and that they will intrude into our living space until we buy our next house with a (big) garage.

So here is my amazing wife (a pic from before I bought her a much better Shoei helmet)

and my sun room workspace.. complete with proper tools, and a small refrigerator next to my computer desk of course

My fancy parts washer.. manually agitated of course.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Let's you do the build in the house AND rides as well?! Do NOT let that wonderful woman get away!

Sent from my Nexus S using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've been looking for replacements for the throttle handlebar mount because I'm going to move the right side switches to hidden locations, and on my t100, the switch housing is built into the throttle handlebar mount and brake master cylinder (all one unit, see below).

This is how I thought all the modern bonneville derivatives were built, but then I found these (see below), both labeled as from a modern bonneville. Did these actually come from a modern bonneville? If they will work, they'll suit my purpose fine. I would like to find those throttle cables in the US though, if these truly will work.
All my 2012 Scram stuff is separate.

Edit:

Here are my controls for reference.

IMG_0741 by W00HT, on Flickr

IMG_0743 by W00HT, on Flickr

IMG_0744 by W00HT, on Flickr

IMG_0742 by W00HT, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
That emergecy shut off switch could be converted to a simple on/off switch on the handle bars (good to have that in a quik to get to location) and then the starter switch next to the ignition switch on a side cover which would be really kewl looking. I've seen this on choppa builds.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
^I'm thinking about hiding the start switch completely out of sight, but I won't know where that is until the bike is much more together than it is right now. I like the idea of starting it with a hidden button. EDIT! maybe even rivet a hinge to one of the side covers so I can hide it and the ignition switch behind there.. maybe..

I'm going up from .90 springs in the factory '09 daytona cartridge to .95 race tech springs to compensate for the weight difference (the factory t100 springs were .85), and 5w oil is recommended for the daytona forks with an oil level of 110mm. It may be under-damped due to the weight gain compared to what the dampers were made for. I think 10w might be necessary, so we'll see how 10w works after I ride it.. hopefully not more than a month from now, but parts being shipped from Europe and then needing to be sent back out to Buchanan's, back to me and THEN to the powder coater will likely push that back awhile.

I received a pair of chrome side covers in the mail today, so I'll be scuffing, planning and possibly cutting tomorrow. I need to find some nice, thick-gauge stainless steel mesh.

I also received the right side caliper from an 07 speedmaster, so more disassembly, degreasing and cleaning.

·
Registered
345 Posts
^I'm thinking about hiding the start switch completely out of sight, but I won't know where that is until the bike is much more together than it is right now. I like the idea of starting it with a hidden button. EDIT! maybe even rivet a hinge to one of the side covers so I can hide it and the ignition switch behind there.. maybe..
IT might be out of your budget but what about a motogadget?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
IT might be out of your budget but what about a motogadget?
mmm.. shiny..

..Oh, great. Thanks for that. There goes the budget. :)

Seriously though, I've not seen those before. Those are pretty sweet options, and they are VERY similar to some ideas I had in my head. my problem with accomplishing some ideas I've had like that is finding switches that are actually good quality, and water resistant. There is so much junk for sale everywhere, it's frustrating.

So on a different topic, while my wife was having a jam session with a few friends last night, I decided to listen to them outside while painting my tire lettering on the guzzi with some liquid rubber whitewall coating. I bought it from Ranger tire paint, but I have a suspicion it may be pretty darn similar to plasti-dip. I like it a lot. It's definitely being done on the Chimera when it's built!

·
Registered
345 Posts
mmm.. shiny..

..Oh, great. Thanks for that. There goes the budget. :)

Seriously though, I've not seen those before. Those are pretty sweet options, and they are VERY similar to some ideas I had in my head. my problem with accomplishing some ideas I've had like that is finding switches that are actually good quality, and water resistant. There is so much junk for sale everywhere, it's frustrating.
I understand that. All too often something that looks really cool in a magazine or online article is complete crap when you get it in hand. That being said I've read a couple pieces about bikes that have used it, and it has had favorable feedback. Seems like a solid option, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
QUESTION!!

Here's some pretty simple switch gear:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/cafe-...age-modern-parts-for-triumph-cafe-racers.html

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I understand that. All too often something that looks really cool in a magazine or online article is complete crap when you get it in hand. That being said I've read a couple pieces about bikes that have used it, and it has had favorable feedback. Seems like a solid option, but I don't have any personal experience with it.
I didn't mean to say that I thought the motogadget gear might be low quality, it looks very high quality indeed, and they use as much metal and as little plastic as possible.. my kind of brand. I definitely like some of the pieces they make. Especially the speedster and vintage tiny gauges.
I only meant that in my search for quality metal switches and buttons, I have been disappointed with the options that keep showing up. I have to sift through a thousand bland, boring, cheap, plastic switches (or other parts) to find the one, really good quality metal part I'm looking for. It really annoys me that in almost every industry/market/business now, the market is flooded with cheap crap.
I'm trying to eliminate as much visible plastic as possible.. where it makes sense to do so anyway. I really despise plastic when it comes to visible parts that detract from the style of the bike.

[/rant]

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Well I got a wild hair today and went out and bought a powder coating system.

:D

I already have a compressor and an old counter-top oven that will work for small to medium sized parts, so I only had to get the system that includes a spray gun and electric current supply. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to bake objects the size of a tank and fork tubes, and I'll be completely self-sufficient for powder coating. Even with the initial cost of equipment, it will be a LOT cheaper to PC things myself than to bring them somewhere. As soon as I receive my powder in the mail from Prismatic Powders, I'll get some practice pieces done.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I've done a tank in a house oven, set it down on the lower rack and removed the middle rack.. Worked great. Fork legs would fit in easy.

House lamps with shades removed work great for lighting or to help dry painted stuff.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
^That's a pretty bad idea (if you're talking about curing in the oven in your kitchen) considering the compounds released during the curing process are carcinogenic. I will admit though, that the man part of me has come up with ideas to get around that [read: reason my way out of it], such as putting the oven through a cleaning cycle after powder curing.. even though I know there's a chance that may not ash all compounds. In the environmental forensics laboratory that I work in at my university, we ash all lab equipment in an oven at over 500 degree F before they go back into the clean cabinets. I don't know if my kitchen oven reaches that temperature. And then there's the wife to answer to.. messing around with 'her kitchen appliances' in this manner may prove to be detrimental to my health. :)

I have been trying to figure out where I could access an old oven that someone doesn't use for food anymore, but is still in a place where it could be plugged in for use.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
In the CLub Cafe section one of the members built an oven...I can't remember the member though. made a slick oven.

41 - 60 of 189 Posts