Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
some info folks might find useful..

Two things..

First, the whole forum might already know this, but I don't have time to search and see if this info is already known, so here it is.. when I was draining the oil, I removed the oil filter and instantly recognized it as a mazda miata (mx-5) filter. I have a few sitting around for my '04 MazdaSpeed miata, and sure enough it is the same. So for those of you looking for a cheap, easy to find oil filter, Just go to any auto parts store and get an oil filter for any miata from 1990-2005 (same filter for all of those years). The 3rd generation miata ('06-present) used a 2.0L which has a different filter. And since I'm on this topic.. the 4th generation miata will be out within the next 2 years, and it's gonna be sexy.. in an aggressive kind of way.

Second, I had bought a set of front brake calipers from a street triple (non-R) to go on the street triple forks, but they are gold, so I was planning on having them stripped and powder coated black or bronze. Then I picked up the bike, started disassembly and realized the front caliper is the exact same as the street triple calipers (well, left side anyway), only black instead of gold. Same bracket and everything. So I searched the bonneville part number on crosscountrycycle.com's awesome parts fiche system, and found that the speedmaster has the same calipers and brackets, but has left AND right calipers like the street triple. Since I was trying to get black anyway, I searched ebay for a right side caliper from a speedmaster, found one for a great price with the bracket, and I will soon have a matched pair of front calipers, one from my T100, the other from a streetmaster, and both will bolt right up to street triple forks (non-R). So I'll have a set of gold front calipers for sale in the parts section after the build (along with many other parts), which will fit all kinds of triumphs!

·
Premium Member
'08 Bonneville, '14 Thruxton, '17 Thruxton R, '12 Street Triple R, '99 R1100S, '65 Ducati 350
22,762 Posts
Good luck on your project and all but most importantly: nice Griso.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
^ yea guzzi! I've ridden that bike every day for over two years and I still have a man crush on that bike. The GuzziTech GT-Rx exhaust makes it sound SO mean! It honestly is the best sound I've ever heard from a motorcycle, and second best combustion engine sound.. only after the P-51! But the supercharger gives the P-51 an unfair advantage in the sound department. Hmm.. supercharger.. Hmm...

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
^no no, I'm not trying to sell anything. I just call it my branding, I don't actually have a brand of anything.. other than style. :cool:

Totally cool, just doing my job. I can't wait to see your build as well. I think you got a hell of a plan.

And Swoosh....anytime you want to apply to be a moderator and stay on top of hundreds of threads and thousands of replies feel free... oh and we do this on our own time for free so if I can put out a warning that keeps the thread on track I will. Its easier than going back and cleaning up stray threads and pming op's etc etc etc... and I read the first post. Things have a habit of going off the rails now and again.

·
Registered
662 Posts
^ yea guzzi! I've ridden that bike every day for over two years and I still have a man crush on that bike. The GuzziTech GT-Rx exhaust makes it sound SO mean! It honestly is the best sound I've ever heard from a motorcycle, and second best combustion engine sound.. only after the P-51! But the supercharger gives the P-51 an unfair advantage in the sound department. Hmm.. supercharger.. Hmm...
I had a Guzzi V-7 Sport with Dunstalls and that gave me an eargasam. I'd say that was the best sounding I've heard with the exception of Dr. John's (of Guzzi fame) Sportster based race bike that he would be warming-up at 6:30 AM at Summit Point Raceway.

Sorry, back to Triumphs...

·
Registered
160 Posts
^ yea guzzi! I've ridden that bike every day for over two years and I still have a man crush on that bike.
+1

Downside of the Griso is the dust that occasionally collects on my T100.

·
Registered
54 Posts
"Choke"

The psuedo choke knob is not a choke of course because the 2009+ Bonnies are FI. I have a 2012. I was told by my dealer it alters the fuel air mix to assist in really cold weather starts, below 40 degrees.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The psuedo choke knob is not a choke of course because the 2009+ Bonnies are FI. I have a 2012. I was told by my dealer it alters the fuel air mix to assist in really cold weather starts, below 40 degrees.
Uh, isn't that a choke?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Yep. After taking the throttle bodies completely apart, I can see it opens an air passage (a controlled vacuum leak basically) past the throttle plates to allow the engine to idle higher (same thing as a choke, except a choke on a carb just opens the throttle plates a little, because that's where the air has to pick up the fuel, same principle though), and the other knob turns a screw that opens/closes the throttle plates for fine tuning the idle speed, as was told to me earlier.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
^Chimera because it is being built from many different bikes (street triple, speed triple, speedmaster, daytona 675, tiger 800xc). A chimera is an offspring of more dna donors than is normal for a species.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So right now, I'm waiting for parts to arrive so they can be distributed to places like Buchanan's and the powder coater; and other parts to arrive so I can start putting things back together. There are still many odds and ends that I will need, but I'm waiting to buy those in case they pop up on this forum or I stumble upon the right one somewhere else.

There are still a few parts that I'm researching, such as cheaper alternatives to the factory tiger 800xc brake discs, which is proving to be the most annoying part of this build. I suppose I should just buy the factory ones, but that's just not my style. I even contacted bikeHPS.com about custom made ISR discs (knowing they would not be cheaper), and received a quote for fully floating, dampened discs at $361.48 per disc plus $114.36 for shipping. Not bad at all for custom made discs worthy of racing.. if you want to spend the cash.. which I don't. If anyone knows of any other bike which used an offset of 0 to 5mm, 100.5mm bolt pattern, 305 to 310mm diameter, please let me know. These specs (other than diameter) are not easy to find for many rotors, so my search progress is slow going.

I decided to cut the upper steer bearing race with my dremel, crack it with one good hit with a chisel and hammer, then drift it out. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. When the ignition switch gets here, I'll connect the electronics and see if it wakes up. That way I can get any possible electrical diagnostics/repair out of the way. I won't bother trying to start it until I have all the internal parts back in and the new gaskets on, so I can lock down all the side covers and fill it with oil.. hopefully for the last time of the build.

The street triple fork outer tubes are anodized gold(ish). They are a faded gold color, kind of like brushed brass, which is nice, but won't really fit with the color scheme I want to accomplish. I'm thinking of having the outer tubes stripped and anodized black or bronze.. don't know yet. I might get short on funds before I get there, and that comes after everything that is needed to get the bike going.

The parts coming from Triumph will be weeks out, so for now.. the waiting game. And research.. always research.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I'll be watching this build. All sorts of things you can go with on this project, nice to have choices and a clean slate sort of speak.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
^It is, and that's exactly why I was looking for a bike in this condition. I love blank slates for the creative freedom they inherently provide.. and I just love building things.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Years ago I picked up a rolling 73 Bonneville in really bad shape. Everything on that bike was broken or rusted. I had a freakin blast working that thing. Wish I had kept before and after pictures of the project. I really enjoyed doing it, sense of accomplishment type thing. Enjoy it and i'm sure you will. Put the pictures up and we can enjoy it with you. Thanks much for the postings. Will be following.

Rick..........Sacramento,Cal.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Could you keep us updated as to costs to do this build? I'm really curious as to whether this kind of project is financially viable or is just a money pit.

21 - 40 of 189 Posts