Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
She loves it. I love it too, and ride it a bunch. I always get a bigger smile when I go back to the guzzi though.. there's just something about that bike that gets my heart going. I actually have the wheels off the Chimera right now to retighten spokes and check their true.

I've been crazy busy these past two semesters, as they were my last, so I was finishing my degree as well as my research. Then I spent 7 weeks out in NM and CO studying the geologic structure of the area at my capstone field course.

Now, I'm looking for another bike to start another cafe, but this time, I'm going old. I've been looking at cb, cx, viragos, xs, and a few others. I found a sweet little '75 cb400 bored out to 466 for sale near me that I'm seriously thinking about, as well as a '77 xs750. I like the significantly lighter weight of the cb, but I love that the xs is a 3-cylinder. It's different. With the right exhaust, triples can sound like an old porsche. If I get the xs, I'll be taking the train up to baltimore this weekend to pick it up and ride it back to NC. I'm not sure why, but NC seems to be a bit of a dead zone for cool old bikes for sale, and the ones I do find, are priced way too high (generally).

I'm also getting ready for GISHWHES! If you don't know what that is, check out gishwhes.com, read around the site and watch the video on the home page.

Drop me a PM and let me know how you've been, what you're up to.

·
Registered
484 Posts
sounds good. bike came out awesome. id love to buy a wrecked trumpet and hardtail. im on those auction sites a lot as well
my dad retired to AZ and has been biuldin cafe'd CBs 750s. hes on his 3rd one. also restored a norton. i do all the welding and powder coating for him.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Thanks for the compliments Tribry! Skeeter, that Norton is sweet. I'm not a fan of the color, but it's still sweet. That cb looks super clean. Does he hand polish the engine parts?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks for the compliments Tribry! Skeeter, that Norton is sweet. I'm not a fan of the color, but it's still sweet. That cb looks super clean. Does he hand polish the engine parts?
im not a fan of the red. i love red and black but its not the right red. yea he uses the bench top buffer a ton to buff everything. thanks

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Your efforts are in the true spirit of motorcyclists everywhere and the spirit of the garage engineer. That's as good as anything I've seen from any build shop. It shows what patience, perseverance and vision can do. Kudos to you sir, kudos.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
sounds good. bike came out awesome. id love to buy a wrecked trumpet and hardtail. im on those auction sites a lot as well
my dad retired to AZ and has been biuldin cafe'd CBs 750s. hes on his 3rd one. also restored a norton. i do all the welding and powder coating for him.
Hat off to dad. Looks like he retired and doing what he loves. Best thing for us older types. I did a little of that few years back. Lost money on the suckers. Had fun with the UPS driver who was like Santa Clause everyday at noon. LOL. The UPS driver would walk the boxes into the garage and talk bikes with me for a few minutes each day. I always had some ice tea or coke for him in the fridge. Had fun with it. Restored 2, 1973 Triumph's, Bonneville and Tiger. Made it easy with 2 of em side by side. Made it easy to figure out how to put things back together. Had one to look at for reference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
If anyone is interested in following my current build, the Luxe 77, it's here:

ashton-technica.tumblr.com

It's a 77 yamaha xs750 triple, which is why the build isn't being detailed here. It should be done within a few weeks. Thanks everyone for all the kind comments on the Chimera build!!

181 - 189 of 189 Posts