Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99 sprint st and for awhile i have been looking at the newer 1050 is it me or do others think the build quality is not as good ???

·
Registered
111 Posts
FWIW

i had a 98 Trident 900 and I think the build quality of my
08 Sprint is better than the Trident.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I had a 99 ST and the 1050 build quality is not as good. But having said that, I beleive it is not just limited toTriumph. Most of the Jap 2008-2009 bikes build quality has slipped. They have built down to maintain the selling price most people are prepared to pay. Prices haven't gone up for years. I'd rather they did and build quality improved.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Build Quality

When I brought my 08' Sprint home I went over the entire machine and to be fair and I found the build quality to be about average.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 99 ST and the 1050 build quality is not as good. But having said that, I beleive it is not just limited toTriumph. Most of the Jap 2008-2009 bikes build quality has slipped. They have built down to maintain the selling price most people are prepared to pay. Prices haven't gone up for years. I'd rather they did and build quality improved.

yep thats what was going through my mind !

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
As posted elsewhere - on my 08 - the assembly quality and fit is poor. Two items left unsecured, two fasteners cross-threaded and left far from fully seated, tank touches side panels and wearing off paint, seat gaps are inconsistent side-to-side and top to bottom. Seems as though the factory workers had an extra pint for lunch.

Not complaining at all, I'm very happy with my Sprint. Not a single warranty claim and it runs perfectly. You get what you pay for, and the Sprint is a fantastic value IMO. It's the lightest, sportiest Sport Touring bike I could find.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Quality

The price of the Triumph has remained pretty stable over the years. In turn they have put a lot of plastic & other cheap crap parts on them! My 04 is a good quality build- metal , good fits,overall a good bike. Its a tradeoff- low price & crapier parts/ build, or bring up the price? Ill keep my 04 & rebuild if/ when necessary! Plus I like that 790 motor! I cant see how much more plastic they can put on them now? Watch that sticker now on guys (& gals)!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
The only thing I can comment on in regards to my 05 was the black plastics that are the infills. The right one had the jockey box on the left one has the heated grips switch. The panels themselves are ok just where they meet up with the fairings has gaps and it is hard to get them tight. Peaves me off every time I see them....

Every thing else was above average for me and well put together.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
For me...other than the rubber bits that I replaced everything fits well. I think that the bike builds from what im seeing seem inconsistant...some better than others. I think for the $$$ spent they seem to be good and mechanically excellent so far, which to me is the most important part.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have zero issues with the build quality of my '08 Sprint. It is no worse than the myriad BMW and Honda bikes I have owned and certainly the equal of my Guzzi and Ducati's.

I would certainly have preferred a seat latch to the current system and the rear fixing bolt for the tank could use a rethink. These are engineering decisions and I plan on fixing both myself in the near future.

The panels leading from the fairing to the front panel are a little sloppy but at least they come off fairly easily. The underseat exhaust, while stylish, does limit placement of components and thus places the fuse box and relays in awkward places and leaves no room under the seat for storage.

Been looking at the factory mufflers from GSXR and ZX-7/10 series bikes and may wind up reworking the exhaust for a low, right side exit and then fabricating an under seat tray and latch assembly.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I think the styling is excellent but that the fit and finish are somewhat sub-par. Not really bad, but just a little below Germany, Japan and Italy in most cases.

Comparing it especially to Japanese bikes regarding f & f and components, I personally don't think the Sprint is a great deal even though we all agree it's a great bike. In one sense at least, you don't get what you pay for. Most litre bikes costing about the same have better brakes, suspension and f & f even if they are not in the same riding category. I think Triumph could do a little better here with the Sprint.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I will say that the BMW K1300S i rode last week was definetly a fantastic build quality..but its also 15k + usd

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I don't know exactly why I have been following this thread, but have to confess that I have.

I think part of the reason is to see what aspect of qaulity [sic] will be assessed, and if any objective examples are offered instead of dealer assembly errors, or uninformed opinions of plastic. So, I guess I was interested in the quality of the responses. ;)

The only objective quality assessment that I am aware of is the one performed by the German (?) magazine a year or so ago, in which the Triumph 1050 fared best. But, memory tells me that general fit and finish were not addressed with the focus being on the engine and xmission.

As to the fit and finish of the non structural parts, it is a very simple matter to adjust them to fit properly. The only gaps that I have not been able to adjust to my liking are the ones that Cal mentioned. I ended up painting the underlying surfaces flat black to cover the fairing color and make the gaps less noticeable.

I have changed many parts on my bike, but will admit that those decisions were mainly for aesthetics and not dissatisfaction with the quality of those parts. The two exceptions were the mirrors and the regulator/rectifier. My mirrors were loose and I could not bring myself to tighten up the press washers because that method of retention belongs on children toys. The rectifier was a matter of it dying and a better design being available.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
If I remember correctly that German Magazine article was the most extensive testing I have ever read about.

They took a series of bikes and ran the snot out of them for 50,000kms and then tore the bikes down. The Sprint showed no wear and tear on the xmission and the motor. They said the bike was like new. I do think they monitored the rusting of bits and pieces and integrity of panels but not so much the fit and finish of them. They where more comparing the effect of the miles to new.

The Sprint finished waaay out front.

What a job that would be :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
my '06, with only 6k miles (just took delivery of it), has a lot of oxidation on alloy parts and on upper fork tubes. more than i'd expect. then again, it's owner lives in san francisco (very foggy always) and i think he kept it outside a fair amount.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I new it was the Motorrad magazine but when I was typing my reply I was doubting my memory.

Dave,
Nice to see you check out Triumph Canada as well. :)

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I wonder how much of the fit/finish issues are dealer related. I just gave my brand new '08 a thorough look and all gaps match up evenly. Fairings are seated correctly and evenly, gaps match on both sides around the frame and the tank. The only things that are somewhat questionable are the black fairing inserts to the left and right of the instrument cluster. Maybe I'll get around to adjusting them in awhile.

I'm very happy with Erico Motorsports here in Denver. I'd definitely visit them again! (Foothills wouldn't give me the time of day...maybe age related.)

Adam

1 - 20 of 32 Posts