Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding the other day and found out that our insects have come out for the spring. Within just a few miles my face shield was speckled quite well and I started wondering if anyone had any secrets for dealing with this problem. I know that there are areas where this is a major issue and thought that maybe someone has some original ideas on how to deal with it during a ride. FL riders, what do you do during Love-Bug season? MN riders how do you handle those clouds of monster skeeters? Short of stopping and pulling out some cleaner to clean the shield or the pull off film strips I have no ideas. Is there anything that you can put on the shield to keep them from sticking so well?

Pops

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
18,284 Posts
Move to the desert.

I'm sorry; I suppose that isn't terribly helpful advice. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Move to the Desert

Well I had thought of that but then I would have to deal with dust storms, flash floods, tumble weeds, and rattle snakes. Bugs and humidity seem to be the lesser of the evils. :D I am waiting for someone to tell me that WD40 on the shield will keep them from sticking or maybe keep them from hitting the shield at all. It works for everything you know. :p

Pops

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
18,284 Posts
Dust storms: yes, it gets a little windy around spring. No big deal. You don't really like you car's windshield, do you? :D

Flash floods: I don't ride in arroyos, so it's not an issue.

Tumble weeds: So what? They add to the atmosphere.

Rattlesnakes: What state doesn't have them? I've never seen one. I have seen bear, elk, deer, antelope, bighorn sheep, and 330 days of sunshine a year.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Not sure this answers your question, but I carry a small package of Windex disposable wipes to clean visors and headlights. Short of that, the only advice I can give you is...move to the desert. But that's already been mentioned hasn't it? Never mind. :D

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Bug Splats

As for the headlights and any other glass, according to Kim and Aggie on 'How Clean is Your House?', PAM cooking spray (or equivalent) wiped on in a thin film works wonders and is cheap as chips. I've tried it this year and it seems to do a good job.
For the faceshield, according to HJC, products such as RainX applied to a clean (preferably new) faceshield helps keep it easy to clean. Their caveat, however, is not to use anything but mild soap and water on the inside (anti-fog coated) or any coated-tint shield.

Hope this helps.

Don

·
Registered
71 Posts
Two things you may consider trying.Before going to a plastic cleaner for my shields,I would use a thin coat of car wax.Although it wont keep the guts off completely, It does allow you to easily wipe bugs off with the back of your glove while riding.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
+1 for Rain-X. It's amazing how well it works for my car windsheild too, bugs just wipe off. Other than that you can try a wet wipe that you keep in a plastic baggie in your pocket.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I usually tough it out to the next gas stop and wash my shield in the mens room while tending to business. I turn the faucet on to a warm almost hot temp and put the shield under the running water for about 3-4 minutes. This alone usually takes care of about 80% of the splats. The others I will apply some liquid hand soap and work by hand, rinse well with clean running water, towel dry, and ready for another 200 mile barrage.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
coatings and cleaners

Thanks. I will try some of these recommendations and see how they work. I always check my shield and clean it if there is anything on it before I leave. I had already been thinking about the Rain-X and Fog-X combo. I didn't get the anti-fog shield and am kind of glad now that I didn't. I have read that they still tend to fog up and it doesn't look like shields are going to last long enough for me to get my money's worth out of one. In a little over 2000 miles both my face shield and wind screen have already taken a beating from bugs, rocks, and other road debris. I haven't ridden much at night so my clear shield is still ding free. It is an anti-fog shields but will still fog up when it is cold or cool and humid.

Pops

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Good to know all these remedies, but the bugs that I hate don't splat, they're the ones such as wasps which remain alive after they've hit you and then crawl up your jacket into your helmet and start walking around the inside of your visor.

It can be quite disconcerting trying to remove them, particularly at speed, I lift up the visor, tilt my head back and hope the wind will blow them away, that works more often than not.

---------------
Ride on ! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts