Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I started out with preds which I really liked and thought were great pipes, just not loud enough for my taste. (will be up on ebay soon)
I ordered bubs pipes about a month ago and finally got the pipes and on about a week ago. I really like them and think they are well worth the money. But I was hoping they would be a little louder!
I'm not planning on getting rid of them anytime soon but just wanted to know if I was the only one who likes really loud pipes...

·
Registered
66 Posts
How much are you selling your Preds for and how old are they. I am dying to get new exhaust but I just recently bought the bike so I do not have the money to go out and buy a brand new set.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Not loud enough ? People in my neighborhood can hear me from the next town over with mine .

Only thing I know louder than the Bubs are Specialty Spares TT Pipes . 1 3/4 pipes with a tiny thin baffle to barely make it legal . Any louder than that would be short straight pipes .

·
Registered
918 Posts
Pred vs D&D

Sorry if this point has been talked about hundreds of times over, as I imagine it must have been, but as far as performance gains between Preds and D&Ds, all other things being the same, is there much of a difference at all? Or does it just come down to aesthetics and sound?

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
... but as far as performance gains between Preds and D&Ds, all other things being the same, is there much of a difference at all? Or does it just come down to aesthetics and sound?
In this forum, it is ALL about aesthetics and sound :D Whatever you are doing, you've got to look good doing it.

+ 1 on the D&Ds for noise. After that, if you want louder, I guess the next step is probably HD. ;)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Sorry if this point has been talked about hundreds of times over, as I imagine it must have been, but as far as performance gains between Preds and D&Ds, all other things being the same, is there much of a difference at all? Or does it just come down to aesthetics and sound?
As for performance gains I did notice a slight power gain between the Bubs to the Preds but the Preds gave more torque . I loved my Preds but the only problem I'd have with them is that they came up just high enough to melt nylon saddlebags . I don't have that problem with the Bubs . I guess practicality was involved .

As for Specialty Spares TTs there'd be a power gain but less torque but I never ran them .

A lot however does come down to appearance and tone ( as always with bikes ) .

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Whatever you are doing, you've got to look good doing it.

I put a giant mirror on the wall in the master bedroom...so I could look good "doing it"...giggity giggity...;)

I actually dont mind the OEM pipes...I like the "George Jetsons car" sound they make...Im not so hip on loud pipes...

All the weekend warriors around here have clean shiny Harleys...with loud pipes...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I put a giant mirror on the wall in the master bedroom...so I could look good "doing it"...giggity giggity...;)

I actually dont mind the OEM pipes...I like the "George Jetsons car" sound they make...Im not so hip on loud pipes...

All the weekend warriors around here have clean shiny Harleys...with loud pipes...:rolleyes:

I'm the opposite. I think the stock pipes are way too quite. People don't even realize I'm next to them. As my daily driver, I can't wait to upgrade to predators.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
maybe you could buy a good hearing aid and turn up the volume:D

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Wish I could do the bike into a briefcase thing. I'd worry a lot less about where I had parked it.

Just put an old White Brothers magaphone pipe from an HD on my T-Bird Yoshi header. Closest thing I could find to a reverse cone with a 2 1/2 inlet. MAN, that sucker sounds raw. :cool: I'll post some pics soon, after a few adjustments...

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
As for performance gains I did notice a slight power gain between the Bubs to the Preds but the Preds gave more torque . I loved my Preds but the only problem I'd have with them is that they came up just high enough to melt nylon saddlebags . I don't have that problem with the Bubs . I guess practicality was involved .

As for Specialty Spares TTs there'd be a power gain but less torque but I never ran them .

A lot however does come down to appearance and tone ( as always with bikes ) .
THATS INTERESTING can you show us some dyno sheets that show the bubs beating the preds or the ss tt beating ether of them?

·
Registered
2004 Thruxton
294 Posts
I rode a couple times with a guy who had 2 into 1 race pipes on his Thruxton. They sounded like they came right off the track. They actually sounded pretty cool but were so loud I wonder how he wasn't pulled over every time he rode. I don't think you can get anything louder for the Thrux. It's been a while and unfortunately I can't remember the brand.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
THATS INTERESTING can you show us some dyno sheets that show the bubs beating the preds or the ss tt beating ether of them?
Not gonna waste revving the sh#t out my bike on a dyno to prove a point . It shows in the feel and ride of the bike . I've had TORs , Preds , and now Bubs . Ridden a Bonnie with TTs. So experience will trump your spread sheet .;)
Preds are great but not the greatest . Bubs are probably not the greatest either. But unless you're on the track ? Who cares . Go with what you like . Not trying to insult you you or start a pissing patch but it's the way it is .

Gootch- That 2 into 1 was probably a D&D . Kinda made my buddy's bike sound like a big bore thumper though. He also had to disconnect it to get to the oil plug . In the end he went back to TORs .

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not gonna waste revving the sh#t out my bike on a dyno to prove a point . It shows in the feel and ride of the bike . I've had TORs , Preds , and now Bubs . Ridden a Bonnie with TTs. So experience will trump your spread sheet .;)
Preds are great but not the greatest . Bubs are probably not the greatest either. But unless you're on the track ? Who cares . Go with what you like . Not trying to insult you you or start a pissing patch but it's the way it is .

Gootch- That 2 into 1 was probably a D&D . Kinda made my buddy's bike sound like a big bore thumper though. He also had to disconnect it to get to the oil plug . In the end he went back to TORs .
The original post was a question about loudness.
From the 3 brands mentioned here, TT's, Bub's and Predators, the high decibels are deliver in that order
Performance is exactly in the reverse order.
Your personal seat off the pans experience was mislead precisely by the high decibels.
I dyno tested the aforementioned ones plus few others.
Besides that a dyno run will not harm your engine at all, will just let you fine tuning your bike and make it more efficient.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
The original post was a question about loudness.
From the 3 brands mentioned here, TT's, Bub's and Predators, the high decibels are deliver in that order
Performance is exactly in the reverse order.
Your personal seat off the pans experience was mislead precisely by the high decibels.
I dyno tested the aforementioned ones plus few others.
Besides that a dyno run will not harm your engine at all, will just let you fine tuning your bike and make it more efficient.
+1 on that .Many things are said that are not fact based on testing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bonnie1000, any performance information of Norman and Hyde Peashooter. I am eyeing them up, but I want to get performance out of my pipes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I dont think a dyno is a waste of time. Ive dynoed my cobra and it was a great way to dial the carbs in correctly. Im sure it would give you the same piece of mind on your bonnie, in addition to backing up your "seat of the pants" observation on all forums.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Pipes on these bike can change power curves around alot.Fast Freddy,Carlos and myself have all seen this.Last year I was runing a 989 stroker motor I had some after market headers with preds on the bike.It felt like it was bad ass it had so much low end.I could open it up at 2500 rpm and it would stand stright up easy .When I did a dyno run It only made low 70s hp but it made 70ft/lbs of torque.It was dead after 6500 rpm .Fast freddy told me to try some D&D 2INTO 1 pipes on it .He made big hp with them on johns bike.I put a set on and wow.It took some of the low end torque but gave me 89hp.With the 2into1 pipes if you hit it at 2500 rpm it would throw you allmost off the seat and when it hit 5000 rpm it was like you hit a after burner.Front wheel would come up slow and stay up to 8200 rpm.Then pick it up and put it back down on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts and sometimes 3-4 shifts.
Carlos bike moved the power band the same way mine did when he put those pipe on his bike.
The old butt dyno can fool you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts