Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I installed the 18" rear wheel, I wanted to maintain as close to stock rolling diameter as possible - a 140/70x18 rear tire is only 1/2" larger in diameter than the stock 130/80x17. Unfortunately, tire choices in that size are limited (no Metzlers), so I chose Bridgestone Battlax BT 045. I only had 2,000 miles on the front tire, but I swapped out the stock front Metzler too so I'd have a matched pair. Much to my surprise, the 'Stones are a much "quicker" handling tire, providing **a lot** more grip and much quicker turn in. I wondered if the extra 1/4" in ride height at the rear reduced the rake enough to change the handling, but I then figured 1/4" is about the difference between a new and worn out tire. The BT045s are a dated tire design, but they certainly made a big improvement over the stock Metzler rubber.

Dick

·
29,948 Posts
Thanks for the post, great info. I have been using the stock Metzs, which I quite like, but have been considering other options. I have used bridgestones on several other bikes and liked them, but given that there is a LOT of positive feedback on the Pirelli sport demons, I may well try those next.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
Those Bridgestones were the original equipment on some of the Bonnies, mine included.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I changed over from Sport Demons (lasted only 2000 miles) to BT45's, which I used to run on my old R100CS. To my surprise, the BT45's seem to be a good alround tyre. They do take a long time to warm up. If i get decent mileage then I will be inclined to stick with these are the price is low compared to others.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BT45 was factory stock on my 05' BB , rear tire wore out at 9000 mi. it performed so well, handling, wet weather, cold weather, hot slick tar, etc... that i went back with another one found it on-line for around a hundred bucks, with free shipping

in other words: very, very good tires.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
BT's

Yeah stock on mine as well. Got 6+K on ythe RR & woulda got more than the 75+ on the ft but the cupping & dryrot got it 1st! Did em again. Friend has Avon now & likes them!~ May give it a try next go around. I also did the 140 on the rr. Looks & handles better! Friend that got Metzler stock wasnt all that happy! He did Demons & liked the handling- but the wear wasnt that good! Its been that way w/ all Pirellis even on cars.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After almost 1,000 miles on the 'Stones I like them even more than I did when I first put them on. I know they don't have a good reputation, but they are really, really sticky once they are warmed up. No rain in Southern California, so I can't comment on wet traction. They are so soft and sticky they may not last too long, but I'll give up a little tire life for peace of mind.

Dick

·
Registered
740 Posts
The BT45s were stock on my bike and I've had no complaints so I replaced them with the same. Got 7700 out of the original rear, and 10,500 out of the front. I'd gotten the idea on this board that I was in the minority in liking the BT45s and wondered if it was just lack of a good comparison that led me to like them; but I *do* like them.

If original mileages hold true this time around, I should be due for a front and rear tire change at the same time around 21k miles (with a new rear between now and then), so I've been considering either the Avon Roadriders or the Dunlop GT501s. I'd been really excited about the Sport Demons, but after reading some recent posts about them I'm not sure they'd be a good choice for me since I'm more into long-distance rides.

I have a hard time changing a good thing though - I've really had no complaints with the BT45s and since American Moto Tire sells them very good prices, it's hard to resist a tire that works out to about .8¢ per mile front and ~1.2¢ per mile rear...

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Good to hear Bridgestone makes some good tires. I won't use them personally. On a bike with any hp they earn their knick name of Slipstones.

I had 020's on my Sprint and they came off within a few weeks of riding and Avon Storms went on. I will stick with Avons or Metzlers.

If these 045's work well on the Bonnie then that is good news.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts