Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Youll have to excuse my ignorance on this one, but would I be ok with a Bridgestone 020 on the front with a 021 on the rear, or will I have to replace front with an 021 as well

[ This message was edited by: DaveLee808 on 2007-02-28 10:21 ]

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would NOT replace until needed. In fact, I plan to get the 021 on the front and I recently had a new 020 on the back. Both tyres are intended for very similar typers of riding. Many guys mix a sticky front (BT 014) with a sturdier rear (BT 020) - I did it once but decuided I do not ride nearly hard enough to justify the 014.

Take care - BB

PS - I have alot of family in the Wycombe area.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well, these tires should be similar enough so I wouldn't worry too much.

Still, I would be more comfortable with the reverse, since the 021 is supposed to be the somewhat stickier one.

If your front 020 is the NN model (factory install) then this is supposed to be somewhat softer/stickier which would lessen any difference.

Disclaimer: This is all educated speculation on my part. The recommended thing to do is not to mix tires.

[ This message was edited by: NikosR on 2007-02-28 11:49 ]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No worries I wont hold anyone to anything, just after a bit of advice really, after getting an 021 from ebay. annoyingly just after I had chunk of beer bottle chew up the rear tyre, I tried to repair it with a can of tyre repair, all it ended up doing was spraying through the split onto a hot exhaust which kindly baked it on, all clean now and with an 020 on there, that should give me another 6000 before I put the 021 on.

BB - Ive lived in Wycombe for the last 15 years, left the army to move here.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hopefully the BT 021 won't cup as badly.

My front one feels like a knobbly when rolling out of the garage - I have 5,400 miles on it and it is severely cupped. I have always had the pressures in the correct range, approx. 36 psi. The roads here are highly abrasive, I think. Every single major portion of the tread on both sides has a circular areas that is markedly raised. I think it needs changing!!

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Just so any new guys don't know apart from Don's tyre sticky at the top of the page there is also a Review section in the left hand box which contains tyre reviews.

Just FYI if you didn't know.

DaveLee808, I also think you will probably not have any serious issues with that mix. Softer on the front as stated is usually better though.

But myself, I never mix tyres.
Just MHO.

DaveM
:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.