Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have decided to get my dads old BSA that has sat for as long as ive been alive in are garage/building. Now, what im wondering is if I can wire up an electronic ignition with the mity max that's on it therefore having no battery. I'm looking at Boyer considering so many people use them and my dads friend said he'd sell me one for 150 bucks. Right now the bike isnt getting any spark and there are peices of the points missing (dont know enough about them to tell you what) and most of the wiring is just spliced with electrical tape :/ fairly jerry rigged. It was an old drag bike my dad used to race and that's why I want to keep the mity max to make it similar to how he had it in it's glory days. Thanks, Eric.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I don't like your chances of starting a triple without a battery,if it has Boyer ignition.
It will start easier if you have points.
If you use the Boyer I think you'll need some sort of battery,even if its only small.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hi all, I have decided to get my dads old BSA that has sat for as long as ive been alive in are garage/building. Now, what im wondering is if I can wire up an electronic ignition with the mity max that's on it therefore having no battery. I'm looking at Boyer considering so many people use them and my dads friend said he'd sell me one for 150 bucks. Right now the bike isnt getting any spark and there are peices of the points missing (dont know enough about them to tell you what) and most of the wiring is just spliced with electrical tape :/ fairly jerry rigged. It was an old drag bike my dad used to race and that's why I want to keep the mity max to make it similar to how he had it in it's glory days. Thanks, Eric.
While many Triumph twin owners use Boyer ignitions, Tri-Spark is much more popular and reliable for old triples. Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't heard about the tri spark but ill be sure to check that out. What i've decided to do is get it running with points on it to get a starting point and modify from there. Do you all know anywhere to get points replacement parts? Or just a whole new one off of a different model bike. Thanks, Eric.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
You shouldn't have any trouble getting point-sets.Most of the screws on the points plate are 3BA,a little harder to find.
The centrifugal advance unit appears to be the same as '68 onward Triumph twins using the 6CA breaker plate.Pre-67 AAU's had a different dwell angle,and I wouldn't even recommend one on a 650.The AAU for a BSA twin advances in the opposite direction and won't work,but it looks almost the same.
Condensors are the same as on twins using the 6CA breaker plate,but any condensors will work.Most ignition condensors are around 0.2 microFarad.
The points you buy today may not be the same quality as original.They'll work,but probably need more frequent attention/maintenance/adjustment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts