Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on value of a 1964 BSA B40 thats in good running condition, but is in fair shape cosmetically? Looking at one with an asking price of 2000. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Not sure about the States, but in the UK they seem to go for around 2500-3000 gbp

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't wish to shatter you illusions, but my brother had one back in about '71 or '72. It was a pile of crap which spent more time in the garden shed at our Mum and Dads house than out on the road. I think he almost gave it away in the end and bought a Honda C90 which he reckoned was nearly as fast as the Beezer and 100% reliable.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha! Good to know! Liked the idea of having something vintage, but don’t need the headaches. Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually love the old BSAs. My Lightning is in pieces and though the project started out well, I quickly found I was in over my head.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It might be possible to make an old B40 reliable with updated components but I wouldn't pay 2 grand for one.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Not over your head just new to you. I will give the same advise I gave to another guy 25 years ago. You take it one bit at a time. Do not worry about the finished product just focus on rebuilding the forks or the carb or painting the chainguard.

There is a Vintage Section where you can ask questions. While a 67 BSA isn't the exact same as a Triumph they are very similar. I worked at a Triumph/BSA

K

·
Registered
55 Posts
It might be possible to make an old B40 reliable with updated components but I wouldn't pay 2 grand for one.
That saying, 'You can't polish a turd, but you can sprinkle glitter on it.' springs to mind. I just think there are plenty of other potential 'classics' out there that will give more satisfaction when you complete a rebuild.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts