Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

221 - 240 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
jurgens, gosch and orsopazzo, thank you all for fast replies. thank you stephan gosch; awaiting new bearings and seals before the install as the broken magnet mixed with the grease to create "magnetic mud", so thot best to start fresh.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My turn! 2003 955i. Speedo was intermittent, then stopped. Cycle speedo fitted as a temporary fix. Front tyre now needs replacing. Male tags on front wheel and female indents on speedo drive look fine, drive rotates smoothly with one finger but speedo doesn't move (with ignition on!), drive doesn't continue to spin when the finger is removed.

Newish battery, I'll attach a battery booster and spin the drive to see if the speedo moves. Pointing towards an issue with the cabling, which means more dismantling :(

I might rely on the cycle speedo and ride the thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My turn! 2003 955i. Speedo was intermittent, then stopped. Cycle speedo fitted as a temporary fix. Front tyre now needs replacing. Male tags on front wheel and female indents on speedo drive look fine, drive rotates smoothly with one finger but speedo doesn't move (with ignition on!), drive doesn't continue to spin when the finger is removed.

Newish battery, I'll attach a battery booster and spin the drive to see if the speedo moves. Pointing towards an issue with the cabling, which means more dismantling :(

I might rely on the cycle speedo and ride the thing.
If you need i have some spares. I have sent pm.

Inviato dal mio PLK-L01 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Finally got back to this. The speedo drive on my 955i looks OK, so it's probably a cable issue. Couldn't see an obvious way to dismantle the unit

·
Registered
5 Posts
fix it

i just cleaned my broken magnet with petrol, dried out by the fire and reglued with superglue and sanded back smooth. still reading and working 2 years and 10,000klm later :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi guys, I got some problems with my speedo gauge. I'm Italian so I use Km/h instead of mph.

the problem is that my speedo doesn't go over 79 km/h! everything looks fine up to that speed, but if my speed is over I don't reed any others numbers. also the odometer seems to reed bad distance if the speeds are over that limit.
no flickering or other problems.

what's the problem? the magnet? cluster? map?

unluckily I have no way to lift the front wheel and see how bad is the magnet :crying:

can someone help me?

·
Registered
170 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
today my speedo is not working, always at 0 km/h..

i just ordered a new replacement from a guy here in italy. I hope the problem is this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi all, have read through this thread and am familiar with the broken magnet ring symptoms and fix. My issue is a bit different and was hoping for some solution to my speedo reading about ten kms low across the board (I think it is more at higher speeds). Have had this '03 S3 for over ten years and has worked correctly until last month or so, magnet is fine and have cleaned and degreased the interior of housing. Anyone had this and/or know of a fix? Could it be wiring damage? Corrupt map?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but here seems a good place for it. My speedo was working fine before I took my bike apart this winter, but after taking off the front wheen I noticed the state of the magnet (see attached)

I found a guy in Lithuania selling 3D printed versions with internal magnets...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254129636070

I am yet to run the old girl on the road to see how it works but the magnet seems strong, well made and it was a perfect fit... I doubt it will break and it was relatively cheap vs effort.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but here seems a good place for it. My speedo was working fine before I took my bike apart this winter, but after taking off the front wheen I noticed the state of the magnet (see attached)

I found a guy in Lithuania selling 3D printed versions with internal magnets...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254129636070

I am yet to run the old girl on the road to see how it works but the magnet seems strong, well made and it was a perfect fit... I doubt it will break and it was relatively cheap vs effort.

I'll let you all know how it goes.
I think aluminium type is much much better
Herewith approx same price but aluminium
Plastic is always critical, it will break if you screw too much your spin axle wheel as for the original one

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Triumph-T2001110-T2001200-speedometer-sensor-Speed-955-Daytona-TT600-Speed-Four/183756058482?hash=item2ac8b6ef72:g:4xYAAOSwlxhZfP6A

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A6013 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
The problem I've heard with the aluminium ones is that the little embedded magnets fall out eventually and jam up the system.

The guy states...

3D printed of high grade fiber reinforced PETG low friction polymer plastic and contains built-in neodymium magnets

I imagine the magnets are encased in the printed PETG. It should last a good while and like I say, the magnets were damned strong.

I'll report back with any problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The problem I've heard with the aluminium ones is that the little embedded magnets fall out eventually and jam up the system.

The guy states...

3D printed of high grade fiber reinforced PETG low friction polymer plastic and contains built-in neodymium magnets

I imagine the magnets are encased in the printed PETG. It should last a good while and like I say, the magnets were damned strong.

I'll report back with any problems.
If the aluminium one is manufactured in the right way is much better
One type is with complete drill holes and this is not the best because there is no much glue

Another one has no drill holes and every magnet has lot of glue. No problem with that and very strong construction

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A6013 utilizzando Tapatalk

221 - 240 of 243 Posts