Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

201 - 220 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
If your 955 has the original tune, it may glitch out like that. Did with mine. I popped in a newer, updated tune and it worked. I believe the original tune glitches when battery voltage drops too low.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As my triple is stock i got the original tune I guess / 10118.hex.
Thanks, it's opening me some way of hope!

I'm on nothern beaches susurf and you. Do you got a tuneECU, where did you get it from mate ?

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
...Now i got some speed display for less than 1 sec ....
What exactly do you mean by that?
Do you mean it comes & goes between 0 & some indicated speed to zero again, or that the display blanks out completely or ????
Or that when you refit the sender it gives a speed indication briefly when you first move the wheel and then goes to zero?

my speedo started to read crazy and finally nothing.
That is not a signature of the map issue - with the map issue, it may occasionally not work when first started, but if you turn off and re-start after a short ride it typically will. It will either work - or not- for an entire ignition-on cycle; it will not be erratic or intermittent or erroneous, nor start/stop to work without turning the ignition off. And it either reads perfectly or zero for that entire power-on cycle.

When you have erratic display, it is typically the rotor - or the drive-plate which drives the rotor.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Ken I had the erratic display - went from wild readings that were clearly inaccurate to zero then back to wild readings. But the display always showed something.
I knew the magnet was ok as I'd checked it. The clue was when I touched the connector it would occasionaly read accurately.That's when I found the broken wire.

·
Registered
172 Posts
DEcosse,
First of all, thanks for the info on this and as someone who'd played Super moderator, thanks for the time you volunteer to the forum.. As a somewhat newb to Triumph it's this advice that makes ownership affordable.

Ok.. Enough sucking up.. :)

I recently bought a 03' S3 and I finally got a chance to get it out yesterday for a 6 or so mile ride.. (stupid salt on the roads) Anyway, I too have a speedo that reads ZIPPO, with an occasional bounce to 2 or 3, and then back to 0..
From what I gather, I've got a bad sensor..
I'm about to get on a plane for Arkansas for the week so I can't tear into the issue until next weekend.. But this gives me time to order parts so they're here for when I can work on it..
The bike has 8600 miles on it and was owned by an older gentleman. It's sat since last August.. Given this scenario, what would you suggest I order to have my rear end ready when I can put it on the stand and fix this puppy??
I've done 95% of my own bike service for the last 20 years but I keep my ears open when it comes to a new problem to me, such as this.. I'm guessing the bike is on it's second set of Conti's and I do know the dealer (Baxter in Iowa) did all the service on the bike.. I know they've been around forever and do good work, but they're 5 hours away and even though Team Triumph is 15 minutes away, I know this is an issue I'm fully capable of taking car of myself (and I'm cheap) ;)

I'll shut up and just thank you for any info you can send my way..

paper

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Thanks for kind words Paper

But this gives me time to order parts so they're here for when I can work on it..
The bike has 8600 miles on it and was owned by an older gentleman. It's sat since last August.. Given this scenario, what would you suggest I order to have my rear end ready when I can put it on the stand and fix this puppy??
So I'm not sure if you mean the bike's rear end, or having your butt prepared in advance. I read it as the former initially, but now I'm actually thinking you meant the latter
Just in case, the sender is at the front! :D

I would say don't buy anything until you actually take a look at things - you could buy that aluminum magnetic rotor I suppose, which is not a bad thing to have, but doubtful you would have it by the weekend anyway (it's out of Germany)
But really, I would say you have to inspect things first before determining the cause/fix.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks!!
As far as the aluminum rotor, I was planning on reverse engineer the one on the bike and turn one myself.. I've got an assortment of magnets (they're a fun toy) and I somehow find time to turn parts that aren't quite ever making it onto paper machines.. :) I love turning aluminum and it looks like a nice project..

I'm guessing it's the sensor, but I'll see when I take the wheel off..

And I'm one of those weirdos who actually reports what I find, and what it took to fix it.. And maybe a couple pictures, too.. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, I finally got a chance to put the bike up on stands..

It didn't go well, to say the least.. :mad:

I backed of the pinch bolts, and then tried to back out the axle.. After BREAKING a 17mm allen socket, I borrowed a 16" long allen wrench from work and was able to get the axle to break free.. Some asshole at the dealer had run it in with an impact.:eek:
And right after it broke free, it was still so tight that it turned the sensor housing, breaking off one of the retaining tabs, so now I'm REALLY PISSED OFF!!

Once the axle was backed off, it spun freely and I was able to remove it and the wheel.. The magnet spool was completely intact and well greased, and actually the only issue I found was the broken housing tab.. I cleaned it up the tab and housing with alcohol and epoxied the tab back in place. I let that cure for 2 hours before putting everything back together (correctly) and lo and behold the speedo worked perfectly..

I sent a pretty severe bitch email to my salesman at Baxter, explaining what had happened and that while I knew it wasn't he who put the front wheel on, I felt the dealer should have been aware of the hamfisted goon who had done it. Like I told him, it reminded me of why I do my own service.. The bike had been at the dealership for 6 months and someone should have checked it over better before putting it up for sale..

He emailed back and said he agreed and offered a new housing if my epoxy job didn't hold, so at least they're standing behind what they sell.

If the damned snow and salt ever leave I'll get a chance to get the bike out and ride/test the speedo.. At least in a stand, freewheeling the front wheel looked promising, at least up to 8mph.. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
The broken tab (although annoying) is no big deal functionally - the speed housing will not rotate once the axle is torqued up. It's really nothing more than an assemble aid (my GSXR forks have no corresponding lugs on the fork leg itself so there is nothing stopping it from rotating before it's tightened and it makes zero difference)

As for the issue, it sounds most likely the drive plate was not engaged in the slots of the rotor.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The broken tab (although annoying) is no big deal functionally.
As for the issue, it sounds most likely the drive plate was not engaged in the slots of the rotor.
I'm guessing the same on the drive plate. Hard to tell... The front tire is far from new, so it had to have worked for a while.. I spoke to the former owner last week and he said the sensor had been replaced a couple years ago..

I did get another tidbit of info from him.. The top end was replaced at 4K miles.. It's only got 8600 miles on it now.. Seems it was a oil gulper from the factory, and Triumph installed a new top end on it under warranty. It cured the issue and he said he never needed to top off the oil.. He was changing it every year, but only putting 1500 or so miles on it a year..

I'm just looking forward to riding the damned thing!! I got my xMoto out for 150 miles last Saturday and then got home and washed the salt off.. Sunday/Monday we got another 6" of snow, but it's mostly gone as of today.. Now for a bit of rain to wash the salt off the roads..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was just referencing this thread again and was curious about the ECU tune being a potential fix.

I have a 2003 955i and had posted in this thread a while back. I was having on/off problems with the speedometer reading "0", and then working properly at random intervals. That ended with the plastic speedometer sensor ring shattering. Replaced it with the custom aluminum ring from Germany, and went back to the on/off problem. A few months ago I decided to install a new battery and it seemed to cure the problem, speedometer was working every single time without fail.

Or so I thought - I have been dealing with Lyme Disease (severe muscular / joint inflammation) and have not been able to ride for several weeks. I am finally seeing some improvement and attempted a ride today - first start and ride yielded a "0", rode a few miles, stopped and restarted the bike and speedometer worked again. Seems like the speedometer is only working when the battery is absolutely 100%, which shouldn't be the case.

Could the ECU tune fix this problem once and for all, or should I just leave good enough alone? Not because of the speedometer issue, but I'm considering finally making the upgrade to a 1050.

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
.... Seems like the speedometer is only working when the battery is absolutely 100%, which shouldn't be the case....
That is EXACTLY what causes the issue and was a fundamentally flawed feature of the software.
What you have described IS the software issue and it WILL be resolved by uploading a current version of the map.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got split speedo magnet for my Triumph Tiger 955i '03

Triumph Part number for Tiger is #T2001200
Aluminium ring available for Sprint/Daytona/Triple is #T2001110
Not sure if it will work, or how much pieces of magnets 4/6/8 should it have.

I'll have a friend who can manufacture such ring, but can anybody confirm inner diameter of magnet/aluminum ring ? (front wheel assembled back into place for riding)

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Triumph Part number for Tiger is #T2001200
Aluminium ring available for Sprint/Daytona/Triple is #T2001110
Those numbers are for complete Speedo Drive assemblies for the Tiger and for the Daytona/Triple respectively - NOT the "aluminum ring"
(Sprint is a different number, not same as Dayton/Speed Triple, actually the same as the Tiger part #, T2001200)
The magnet ring has no part from Triumph, it is not available as a stand-alone part, it comes with the complete sender assembly.
Also it is NOT aluminum, it is ceramic.

Aluminum replacement 'magnet' rings are after-market (there is a source listed earlier in this thread) - these are NOT available from Triumph as a Triumph part, with Triumph part number - so there is no 'equivalent' part number that the after-market part corresponds to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes sir, I know all that, sure I wasnot explaining myself clear.

My biggest concern is, people succeeds with gsxr/zxr sensor and 4 magnet upgrade, but aluminum ring on eBay has minimum 6 or 8 pieces.

By any chance you know how much pieces of magnets it should be for Tiger '03 ?
Already asked my friend to manufacture AL ring with 33mm inner diam and ordered some 4x2mm magnets.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes, early T595 had these - was un-utilized. I'm not sure what Triumph had intended for this but never executed on it.
Anyway, won't work for several reasons
1) the bikes these are on have mechanical speedo and it's not there on those later models with electronic speedo;
2) Even if utilized, the ratio would be off and a speed-healer would be required.
Sorry to drag this thread up. I have an early T595. Does this mean I can just junk the rear sensor? I'm looking at putting on a digital dash so I guess the mechanical one can go too?

201 - 220 of 243 Posts