Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Triumph Bonneville Bobber
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am a new Triumph owner and this is my first post on this forum. I am in need of some help as I have broken one of my mounting bolts to my rear caliper (actually my brother snapped it, but we're not here to point fingers :p) . He went to the dealer for a replacement and they informed him that he'd have to purchase a new caliper as it is part of a package and no information/part# is available for the bolt in question. As I do not want to spend $500 for a new caliper, does anyone know how I can get one? It is the top bolt that threads into the carrier. It is only threaded halfway and it starts at the tip of the bolt. It is a Nissin caliper. We have yet to remove the broken bolt from the carrier, but we have some ideas on how to tackle that issue. Just need the bolt info for now.

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
16 Posts
Should be really easy to source the bolt.
Best way is for someone to measure theirs and confirm if its m8, m10 or whatever, then use a thread gauge to get the correct thread pitch, finally get the length.

Id by the best quality steel or titanium replacement you can find.

Shouldn't cost more than $5 or so.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also google "triumph nissin brake caliper bolts" and see what you get

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should be really easy to source the bolt.
Best way is for someone to measure theirs and confirm if its m8, m10 or whatever, then use a thread gauge to get the correct thread pitch, finally get the length.

Id by the best quality steel or titanium replacement you can find.

Shouldn't cost more than $5 or so.

Thanks Craighew. The bolt in question is the one in the pic with the arrow pointed at it.
Font Art Cartoon Handwriting Drawing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Craighew, I have Googled for the bolt, but to no avail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oldgoldie, I appreciate the feedback, but he was only trying to help me put the wheel back on after the shortened fender install. He used a torque wrench at what we thought was the correct value of 29 ft/lbs

·
Registered
16 Posts
When i googled it, i got lots of results, pin bolts in particular (that look like the bolt to the right of your red circle).

You just need the correct one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When i googled it, i got lots of results, pin bolts in particular (that look like the bolt to the right of your red circle).

You just need the correct one.

Thank you, but what size/length/pitch/grade? I am no expert and appreciate the help immensely. If Titanium was to be used, would it play well with the carrier bracket metal? Believe it to be aluminum, but am unsure as my bike is at my brother's house which is 70 miles away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, I'm no expert either but I wouldn't use an aluminium or cheap grade steel bolt on something critical like a brake caliper.

If the correct torque is used then the titanium bolt will be fine in the caliper (and won't shear off in future).

My bike is 250 miles away so cant check my rear caliper bolt for you...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'm no expert either but I wouldn't use an aluminium or cheap grade steel bolt on something critical like a brake caliper.

If the correct torque is used then the titanium bolt will be fine in the caliper (and won't shear off in future).

My bike is 250 miles away so cant check my rear caliper bolt for you...

Thanks for the reply. I would think that the bolt is probably a grade 12.9 alloy steel bolt because my memory says it was very dark in color and some google research says that it's probably that (high carbon/very strong/very brittle). Also, another search says that titanium and aluminum don't mix. Just need to know the size/length/grade. I appreciate the responses thus far though. Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I am fairly confident the bolt you have circled in the diagram is a very specific bolt. The caliper slides on the bolt as the brake is applied and released. So the length and the diameter of the non threaded portion is critical. As for "welding the toolbox" that is in jest.
Yet another cheaper however less than 100% positive feedback. This may be your best option other than buying a new assy for $500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am fairly confident the bolt you have circled in the diagram is a very specific bolt. The caliper slides on the bolt as the brake is applied and released. So the length and the diameter of the non threaded portion is critical. As for "welding the toolbox" that is in jest.
Thanks Oldgoldie. Makes total sense. Wish I knew how to source it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello all! I am a new Triumph owner and this is my first post on this forum. I am in need of some help as I have broken one of my mounting bolts to my rear caliper (actually my brother snapped it, but we're not here to point fingers :p) . He went to the dealer for a replacement and they informed him that he'd have to purchase a new caliper as it is part of a package and no information/part# is available for the bolt in question. As I do not want to spend $500 for a new caliper, does anyone know how I can get one? It is the top bolt that threads into the carrier. It is only threaded halfway and it starts at the tip of the bolt. It is a Nissin caliper. We have yet to remove the broken bolt from the carrier, but we have some ideas on how to tackle that issue. Just need the bolt info for now.

Thanks in Advance
Piece of cake!

·
Registered
56 Posts

Thanks in Advance
There is a place in the UK that does stainless steel and titanium bolts for motorcycles (if only I could remember their name) but they should have what you're looking for. Racebolt and Probolt are good too. If you get stuck with the bracket then send me a pic as I have a new one.

Jim.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts