Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my friggen new ped slicer this weekend...

I was given a pedestrian slicer style license plate by my Creepy old Triumph guy near the end of last season...I took it home and hand sanded the seams from the mold...had the guy that comes to my dealership that does paint touch ups paint it...went to a place that makes signs to make the letters and numbers...over all this was about a $60.00 project...remember the plate was free...

I have had about six rides this year and I already broke it...:(
It was my fault and I should have known better...I just had to post a pic to show you what "stupid does" looks like...:eek:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Ouch . Looked like you actually sliced up a pedestrian . :D

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
Can you glue it back together? If it broke, it must be made of plastic, which should be glue-able, right? Just a matter of finding the right adhesive.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you glue it back together? If it broke, it must be made of plastic, which should be glue-able, right? Just a matter of finding the right adhesive.
I asked the guy that painted it what to do...and thats what he said...glue...I have this stuff at work "Honda bond"...thats used to really stick engine parts together...but my techs say its messy...my wife said crazy glue too...so I guess Ill glue it...if I fit the parts together you only see a fine crack and there are no parts missing...its worth a try...

As to how it happened...my wife doesnt want me to post...:rolleyes:

Safe to say...I am the leprechaun...no one was harmed...and my helmet was still on...:D

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Why not make a metal one? Then it'll just bend.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look, I understand that everybody gets lonely sometimes -- but if you do that with a ped slicer again, you're going to get hurt!
;)
Ouch...giggity...:eek:

He had a metal one...but since my fender was plastic I went with the plastic one...and he only had one...:(
...If I tried to replace it the holes we drilled in the fender wouldnt match up...:mad:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Go to;
http://www.mcmaster.com/
and search Part#
85705K33

This is UHMW Polyethylene sheet, black, smooth both sides, 12"x24"x 1/4" thick (you could go as thin as 1/8"). It's got good impact and weather resistance. Machines well. $17 US

Use the old one as a template, cut new one with jigsaw, block-sand edges smooth. Wetsand edges to polish with #1500 or higher.

Redhawk

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
You might consider bonding it with a 3M flexible parts epoxy. Carefullly cut a V groove down the middle of the break with a dremel on each 1/2, mix and apply the epoxy, clamp together, wipe off the excess with alcohol. The stuff creates a tuff and flexible bond in plastic! Dont' ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts