Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was riding in my Speed Twin when I noticed my gear level wasn't in the usual spot. Stuck in 1st gear I rode back home.

Once home, took a picture of the gear lever. It looks like a sheered bolt inside and not even flush against the outside wall as you would expect. How does this happen?

What options do I have to fix this myself.
I guess I should try and get the metal bolt out of the hole? Any opinions would be good. Dealer will take a month. Images attached

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bet it was loose-- many of us find these loose and backing out--should be a recall

maybe dealer can order new one for you

and just give it to you to install at home

and cover the part under warranty

put some blue loctite on thread of new part

old broken bolt may spin out easy if no loctite on it

try a pick and try to spin it out

or take the shifter off and take it and linkage to dealer

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used a drill bit and then a thread extractor. Have a temporary solution for now until I hear back from dealer on warranty status. Crazy how a 6 month old part is breaking

·
Registered
212 Posts
Used a drill bit and then a thread extractor. Have a temporary solution for now until I hear back from dealer on warranty status. Crazy how a 6 month old part is breaking

Id love the hear about the temporary solution- I cant see how anything would work :)

and how long it takes dealer to get parts -we keep hearing how long it takes to get parts from Triumph

I looked up those ball end sockets and amazingly you cant buy them--or just them and the center rod as an assembly

each end comes only with the part they connect too -how dumb is that

so in your case you need to buy the gear shifter for $82 to get the ball end socket!

I think these sockets are loosening up and then breaking because they are half way turned out, not seated and stressed

PSA -check yours regular and even put a dab of blue loctite on threads

mine was loose brand new so I caught it before it could back out much

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah that's true, I would love to know if there is a generic part i could use here instead of the entire assembly from Triumph

The temporary solution is to thread the old socket back in and baby the gears until I hear back from warranty. As it's already weakened (and with only 3 threads), it will come lose anytime.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yeah that's true, I would love to know if there is a generic part i could use here instead of the entire assembly from Triumph

The temporary solution is to thread the old socket back in and baby the gears until I hear back from warranty. As it's already weakened (and with only 3 threads), it will come lose anytime.
I would just buy a 6mm rod end bearing such as this one from eBay and put a new bolt through into the gear lever, job done.
Just check whether yours is left hand or right hand thread.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SI6T-K-Rod-end-bearing-rose-type-ball-joint-6mm-female/142525767022?epid=19006422042&hash=item212f329d6e:g:MUcAAOSwBj5ZzAL2&redirect=mobile
You'll need to place washers either side of the Rose joint to pack it out to the correct distance and so you don't lock up the joint, definitely looks like yours has snapped because it backed off, mine's threaded nearly to the other side of the the gear lever.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this took an interesting turn. The warranty claim was denied. They say that the bike looks like it was dropped from the factory indent on the pipe (see attached picture). Will update you guys here how it goes. They wanted a picture without me holding the rod end. So they could "see what I was hiding behind". This is a joke LOL

You guys all have this indent too right? Just want to make sure

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well this took an interesting turn. The warranty claim was denied. They say that the bike looks like it was dropped from the factory indent on the pipe (see attached picture). Will update you guys here how it goes. They wanted a picture without me holding the rod end. So they could "see what I was hiding behind". This is a joke LOL

You guys all have this indent too right? Just want to make sure
Kinda stuff that pisses me off
first off these things are coming loose--as I mentioned it should be a recall
I don't think they are loctite from factory or maybe they didn't tighten then right
Several folks here caught them loose- -including me
and that DENT is normal- ugh
who is your dealer if you dont mind or what city/state ?

have a look at what the dent is for

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kinda stuff that pisses me off
first off these things are coming loose--as I mentioned it should be a recall
I don't think they are loctite from factory or maybe they didn't tighten then right
Several folks here caught them loose- -including me
and that DENT is normal- ugh
who is your dealer if you dont mind or what city/state ?

have a look at what the dent is for
Thanks, dealer is one in Canada, Ontario. I'll be sure to mention their name if they don't sort this out. Had to tell them to look at all their other floor models, what a bunch of goons.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yeah we all have that dent........It astonishes me how incompetent some dealers are.
Not just incompetent but they've accused a customer of lying just to get out of a very simple cheap repair, and people wonder why I won't let my bike anywhere near a triumph dealer.
I'd drag the manager down from his office tell them what the guy said about your so-called dent and make him crawl on his hands and knees underneath one of his own showroom bikes to see how incompetent his own staff are.
Then tell him to supply you with a new you gear lever mechanism straight away even if he has to take it from one of his own bikes, making him aware that you are posting this on a forum and there are thousands of triumph owners watching their response.
Other than that tell them you'll just fix it yourself with the part I suggested because they're a bunch of incompetent t****

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sent an email in to the dealer telling them to look at ALL the other Triumph Speed Twins on their floor, that they all have the same indent. Also, she said that she had submitted to Triumph Warranty and it was Triumph that declined that warranty saying that it looked like the bike has fallen. So it is Triumph that won't admit to there being a flaw. Does that sound fishy, would Triumph do that? They clearly know that the indents are factory.

Next step is for me to bring my motorcycle in, 2 weeks from now, they will take a look and send another warranty claim to Triumph (now they want me to pay for an inspection because it's a second warranty claim which had been declined). Terrible service

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I know you shouldn't have to while it's under warranty but I'd honestly just fix it myself it will be much less trouble in the end and only cost you a few quid.
The less you have to do with triumph dealers the better in my experience.
What's the name of the dealers, I think we should flood their inbox with pictures of our dents?

Reactions: BonnieBlack

·
Registered
212 Posts
I know you shouldn't have to while it's under warranty but I'd honestly just fix it myself it will be much less trouble in the end and only cost you a few quid.
The less you have to do with triumph dealers the better in my experience.
What's the name of the dealers, I think we should flood their inbox with pictures of our dents?
Good advice above and about call triumph- -say DO YOU KNOW -these links are loosing up on your bikes and its a potential safety issue and you folks are second guess me on a warranty repair - in USA we'd have some lawyers on this.

I would buy the part and fix yourself- tell them you want reimburse.
I would TRASH Triumph EVERYwhere you can on social media -F them over such a small repair
and your dealer sucks too- they need approval on such a small repair and won't go to bat

really- - your time is too important to waste over this 100 repair

buy part online from other some dealer

post this poor service mostly from Triumph on social media and POINT out that its also a safety item and that other owners have had these parts coming loose !

Poor judgement Triumph- Im going to contact US NHSTA about recall---this could cause a crash or death if riding and you loose control etc--Its a true safety item that should be recalled. In fact I posted right on this site that I found mine loose at like 100 miles.

This is my first Triumph and I really like the bike--but the dealer network, parts and accessory supply and factory support is piss poor compared to the many other brands I own and have owned--piss poor

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Found these online so the correct part is out there, obviously triumph don't make them themselves.
Just double check whether yours is right hand or left hand and fit it yourself ,job done.
http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/fp-m06s_rodend_bearing.html
obviously it's up to you how much grief you give the dealership afterwards but I wouldn't let them get away with it.?

Reactions: SpeedTwin_Lou

·
Registered
140 Posts
Someone at Triumph (likely some "warranty person" behind a desk) made the wrong call without knowing that the dent is there on all Speed Twins. I suspect that they'll reverse the warranty denial once they see that fact.

You can't dump on the dealer yet as they're just passing on the bad news as the messenger and why would they question the dent? I honestly don't know if mine has a dent but will check tonight and at first blush it does look like the bike was dropped. It wasn't but anyone seeing that dent would assume the as much so let's temper down the hate a bit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found these online so the correct part is out there, obviously triumph don't make them themselves.
Just double check whether yours is right hand or left hand and fit it yourself ,job done.
http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/fp-m06s_rodend_bearing.html
obviously it's up to you how much grief you give the dealership afterwards but I wouldn't let them get away with it.?
shipping to Canada is an extra £50. What about this ? https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Bearing-Y-Stud-M6x1-0mm-Female/dp/B07QLXTGVG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=M6X1+Right+Hand+rod+end&qid=1568145092&s=gateway&sr=8-3 from the pictures it looks like RH correct?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts