Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Broken Bonnie footpeg

15K views 47 replies 34 participants last post by  columbo 
#1 ·
While going about 65 on a very nice stretch of highway 74 here in southern California my right foot peg broke off! Scared the sh!t out of me!!:mad: Found the peg, the bolt that goes through the frame had snapped. Very small bolt for a load carrying piece! I don't know if this is a one off defect or something that has happened to others. Would be nice to hear from you.

#3 ·
Broke Peg

I have not heard of anyone else having that problem. I just ran a search and did not find any other post on it either. I weigh 280lbs and will stand on my pegs often and have not snapped them off yet. I would wonder if the bike had been down on the peg at some point either by a previous owner or maybe during shipping while new? It is entirely possible that it was just a bad bolt too. A bubble in the metal during the casting process could have caused a weak spot. Either way I bet it was not much fun riding without it.

Pops

#5 ·
I know two people who have had that stud break, and it's scary indeed.
One of mine was loose once after the peg hit something. I think that to avoid it you have to make sure the nut stays tight, especially if it has been dropped or abnormal stress put on the peg. Mine now have lock, as well as flat, washers under the nuts.

#6 ·
Yes I have heard of a couple of cases of that happening. The bolt is easily up to the job, but only if it is tight. When loose, it easy to put a lot of bending force on the bolt and break it - and it doesn't have to be very loose.

I grab the pegs and twist them by hand before every ride, and check that nut (along with a lot of others) on a frequent basis.

#7 ·
I'll be checking those bolts today. I stand on them daily for the ride up into the drive of my apt complex which is sort of an incredibly scaled back version McQueen's jumping the bike out of the ditch - but what I always think of as I do it (hey I can dream!) and it'd be a down right disaster to have one snap while doing so as I tend to be going up a slight hill, over a hump, and turning left all at the same time.

At the very least it would hurt like hell because the bike would go down for sure.

#8 ·
I didn't break the bolt, but I broke the foot peg casting right where the bolt goes through it. I was sneaking through some brick planters, trying to get to the perfect parking spot, and I lifted my foot (it was a tight squeeze). The edge of the bricks caught the footpeg just right, and it didn't fold back, it just broke off. Repair hint: if this happens to you out on the road, the rear passenger pegs fit nicely in their place. Believe me, I know.

#9 · (Edited)
Some punk knocked my bike over in my parking lot one night (the only night I didn't cover it and alarm it) as it was raining when I got home and it rained all night. My maintenace guy woke me up the next morning to tell me my bike was on it's side. Drivers right peg snapped off. Well the rear pegs do fit. I went to Daytona last Friday to pick up my new peg (1st day of bike week :D) and it doesn't appear to be pot metal. The new peg appears to be milled aluminum which is way better. I have a 2007 T-100 and Arlen Ness parts guy asked me for the last 6 of my vin as they used 2 different pegs that year. Btw no chrome, paint, or anything else was damaged except the brake lever curled a little that's next.

#12 ·
This is precisely what happened to me this weekend. I was avoiding getting hit from a car turning left onto the same street that I was turning right onto and the peg clipped a middle curb area. The peg snapped right off!

Should I order another one through Triumph or is there a better place to order one online? I've done the basic googling and checking out the usual triumph part sites.

#15 ·
same thing happened to me on a freeway offramp at the bottom of a compression zone. Had my but off the seat slightly and my weight on the pegs.

Sa..napppp the whole sitch went wonky big time.
cagers behind me were screeching.
I think that the nut was a little loose and the weight was taken fully by the bolt causing it to snap. When it's all tight the weight is taken by the mounting bracket.

Just check them every once in a while and you should be fine.

#16 · (Edited)
Yeah...it is a noted problem, and has happened to others here on this site and other sites I've read. I inspected mine two years ago, after reading about this issue here. I found my right peg bolt loose. Assumed it was only that, and tried tightening, and it immediately snapped off. There was only about 1/3 or less of stressed metal holding it. I was doomed if it hadn't been found. I was a stander too - but no more.

When I went to the shop, they were out of stock, but had the rear mount, which was the same but with a slightly longer bolt, and MUCH cheaper (Only $5) as they noted. I took the rear, cut the bolt to size length, and used it successfully. Have had no problems since, but regularly check them, and I do NOT stand any more. I have also wired the bracket, just in case.

Some guys with tools and capability, drill out the old broken weld bolt and replace it wth a bigger case hardened bolt and nut. A tap weld to hold in place, and some grinding is needed too to clear the flip up flexability.

#17 ·
I snapped one off on my T100 going down on an oil spot. Nothing else was damaged since it happened at almost standstill. The pivot pins are strong enough but the casting of the pegs is poorly done: too much pores and even cavities inside.
click to enlarge:

On my bike (T100 2007) the pegs are attached by means of a 10mm steel pin, held in place with a circlip.Won't come loose!
click to enlarge:

Thieu.

70$ for one footpeg?!:mad:

#20 ·
Speedy/America pegs look way cool....

I snapped a cast krap front peg on my Scrambler when it fell over and was turned onto the Speedy/America peg as a replacement by this post.....

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/99904-scrambler-footpeg-swap.html

I lucked into a brand new set off an '05 Speedy that had been replaced with floorboards and forgotten in a drawer... I got the brand new set with all the hardware on e-bay for only $32 with shipping on e-bay, way cheaper than the $96 the local shop wanted or the $78 price tag on bike bandit with shipping...

the best part is they make her look even cooler with that old school Triumph logo that the Scrambler was lacking...

#24 ·
Suffered a right footage snapping off when riding at about 65mph a couple of days ago. Here's the offending foot peg, with the bolt sheared straight off (I should have cleaned it for the photo but understand it was a mess after bouncing down a wet road and then spending 3 days in a wet bag until I got home). The bike has never seen dropped, the peg has never been removed and put back on again (so not overtightened by accident) and the bike has done less than 15k miles. Basically, the item was factory fitted. I serviced the bike only a couple of days before and I know for sure that the peg wasn't loose, nor did I feel that it was loose at any time whilst riding before it sheared off.

I was lucky to have stayed on the bike, if it had been a fast left hand corner with oncoming traffic in the other lane, the chances are I'd have been seriously injured or killed.

#27 · (Edited)
Future concerns gone!

Suffered a right footage snapping off when riding at about 65mph a couple of days ago. Here's the offending foot peg, with the bolt sheared straight off
Mr. Lake,

You don't need a press to remove the broken stud. When I replaced my clevis with the longer ones from a Scrambler, right passenger side, it was an easy job to break loose the spot welds with a chisel.

Instead of tapping the outrigger, I used a quality thru bolt of high strength . No issues so far.

Namaste,
Charles

#30 ·
I suggest you take the failed bolt to a metallurgist who has access to the right equipment (SEM) to have the fracture analyzed. If it was due to poor quality metal, as from an inclusion, as opposed to damage post manufacturing which created a stress riser, then you should tell the folks at Triumph USA. If the part was defective then they need to know this to go after their supply chain, and possibly notify NHTSA.

#31 ·
#33 · (Edited)
I cant believe someone hasn't been rear-ended at a light from the mysterious stall yet . Even though the vehicle behind should be aware and not proceed until safe to do so , non the less that stall many of us have experienced when pulling away from a light is downright nerve-racking , dangerous etc etc etc . I suppose triumph is claiming they've never heard of that quirk in the bikes as well ?:faceplant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.