Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm currently on a trip around the Balkans and two days ago my left foot peg broke off. I had been standing up a fair bit (probably not more than a couple of miles in total over the whole trip), and the roads are not great, but I still feel like this shouldn't happen. It was lucky I as just adjusting my weight, rather than standing, as I was going about 60mph. Fortunately, I managed to pull over and retrieve the peg from the very busy road. The bolt had completely sheered off and was stuck inside the bracket. I wasn't sure at the time if it needed to be unscrewed or I could just pull it out, but either way, it wasn't budging. I tried hitting a screwdriver with a rock, nothing. I had to go and find a mechanic, who also tried hitting it out - nothing, then tried with a mallet - nothing. In the end he had to drill it out. Now it's replaced with whatever bolt he happened to have lying around that fit. Great! Anyone got any suggestions for an upgrade?

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Keeping the studs tight so the load is taken by the clevis to outrigger joint rather than the stud, is the easiest way to minimising the chances of this happening. Note that around 70% of the strengh of a bolted joint is given by friction between bolted parts rather than by the fastener. Fastener replacement by a stronger one as advised on this thread by Bonza, post 40 is alkso a good one.

Sadly all the cases on this thread are not isolated ones. I've lost count of the number of them in the time I've been here.

Here's a few threads containing some more with various solutions and advice, see post 5, for example, contains links to many more:

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/461882-footpeg-problem.html#post5117394

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I can't believe this has happened so often!
How on earth I'm going to sort this out in Bulgaria I have no idea......

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
If you have no passenger, one of the passenger footpegs will do in an emergency. You'll still need an M8 nut and bolt to replace it because the rear footpeg studs also hold the silencer.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I drilled through the upper dimple on mine and through the mount which happens to be a Modre lowering device. I then added a second bold, which I think was a 1/4 inch aircraft bolt and nut, making sure that the threads were not present in the shear location. I have since replaced the front pegs with machined aluminum pegs from Joker Machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmm, that's an idea. The back foot peg does support my pannier rack, but that's no where near as heavy as I am. Might be a better solution than whatever is in there now. Tomorrow I'm heading to Sofia, hopefully I'll be able to get something more appropriate there. In the mean time - no fidgeting!

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Bonnie 25 - that was my solution on the short term. The rear footage on my T100 only held the panier frame on. I used some wire to hold it in lace and stop vibration on a temporary basis. Moved the rear peg bracket to the front position. Worked fine until I got the replacement part.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm curious if there have been ANY failures of replacement clevis bolts (without the Forchetto mod.) Of course that is only one of the problems, the casting be another one. There are just too many failures for me to feel comfortable riding with this potential problem looming. As stated before, the ones reported are likely only a fraction of the real-world failures that go unreported.

Since I have not bumped a peg or dropped the bike, I'm only a little concerned about the casting, but the clevis must be fixed first.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts