Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 67T100C left me on the side of road yesterday morning, the first time that has happened in years. I was on the way to a fence painting party at my Grand-daughter's horse riding farm when the bike just up and died. It was running great up until then, and a quick phone call had my Son-in-Law on the way with my pick up and ramps. It appears to have no fire at all on the left side, so I think one of the 6 volt coils went belly up. The plugs went really looking fat also even with pushing it at highway speeds so I am taking this opportunity to drop the main down one size and go over the bike from top to bottom to make sure this doesn't happen again. Two good things though, it got me out of painting fences and made a great side of the road picture........

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
The 67T100C left me on the side of road yesterday morning, the first time that has happened in years. I was on the way to a fence painting party at my Grand-daughter's horse riding farm when the bike just up and died. It was running great up until then, and a quick phone call had my Son-in-Law on the way with my pick up and ramps. It appears to have no fire at all on the left side, so I think one of the 6 volt coils went belly up. The plugs went really looking fat also even with pushing it at highway speeds so I am taking this opportunity to drop the main down one size and go over the bike from top to bottom to make sure this doesn't happen again. Two good things though, it got me out of painting fences and made a great side of the road picture........

View attachment 765105
80% of all Harleys made are still on the road too, the rest managed to get home. sad when it happens to a triumph. My breakdowns have been Boyer unit failure twice and 2 punctures but not bad for the years i have been riding around. Had a clutch cable fail but replaced it at the roadside. Good looking bike.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If the plugs are blacker than they used to be, I’d suspect that the needle jets are worn and leave the main jets alone.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coils will arrive tomorrow and I checked it again today, fire is back on both sides, I will make the change anyway since the bike was pretty warm when it lost juice. I did some rewiring today while waiting. The PO has the tail light wired directly to the hot side of the switch plus the dash lights was on when the switch was turned. Ran everything through the bucket and both come on now via the headlight switch, I don't wiring was his strong suite.....

·
Super Moderator
8,837 Posts
Hi,

If your bike's been converted to "R" 12V DC electrics as well as the 7" headlamp:-

dash lights was on when the switch was turned
'67 DC started without any "dash lights" (red and green in the headlamp shell either side of the Ammeter); at some point in the year, one lamp was added and, later in the year, the second lamp was added; one lamp was/is simply 'ignition on' (White and Red wires to the bulb holder) is on with the ignition switch, the other is 'headlamp main warning' (Blue/White and Red wires to the bulb holder).

PO has the tail light wired directly to the hot side of the switch
If to the lighting switch, meant it was on when the ignition was on? Maybe the PO just wanted the lamp on when he was riding (although the lens is so poor, lamp on in daylight is neither use nor ornament :().

Coils will arrive tomorrow and I checked it again today, fire is back on both sides, I will make the change anyway since the bike was pretty warm when it lost juice.
What've you bought? "R" DC electrics originally used Siba coils; as they were smaller than Lucas "MA" (1-7/8" OD) coils, the replacements should be '70-on pattern coils. If so, I prefer PVL, because the common alternative are Wassell/Emgo and ... uh ... variable ... quality ... I also mount 'em in MA coil brackets so I can put some anti-vibe rubber between coil and bracket but, if your bike has a standard small "R"/"C" US tank, ime the smaller coil cutaways restrict options? :(

Hth.

Regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts