Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Personally, I don't care how cheap or good a motorcycle it is.... it looks naff as hell, think Cossack meets Playmobil! (and I' m probably gonna upset a few more people here) the only purpose I can see for it is to make a RE Interceptor look slick and stylish and it succeeds in that. I'll pass thanks... confirms for me that the modern classic range are the beautiful creations Triumph set them out to be. :devilish:

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Lovely, another Chinese waste of materials that will need recycling within the next 5 years no doubt!
After seeing the oil analysis video from RyanF9 a while back, thats enough to make me want to stick with major manufacturers!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Whether or not this thing is any good or sells is probably irrelevant. The Chinese - aided and abetted by the Austrians in this case - are putting all the manufacturers on notice that they are catching up fast and that no niche is safe.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We'll get to the bottom of the quality question real fast if and when this bike is ever released to the motorcycle press. For now, I was able to find only a single video where the engine was even started. There was obviously considerable vibration, judging by the shaking of the license plate bracket.

Quality and refinement will have to rival Triumph's if this bike is to be a success. Tall order, indeed!

·
Registered
139 Posts
We'll get to the bottom of the quality question real fast if and when this bike is ever released to the motorcycle press. For now, I was able to find only a single video where the engine was even started. There was obviously considerable vibration, judging by the shaking of the license plate bracket.

Quality and refinement will have to rival Triumph's if this bike is to be a success. Tall order, indeed!
To be fair on initial look I was extremely sceptical, however when you dig a bit deeper you still get kyb forks and shocks, nothing special but that is what's standard on some of the modern classics, twin rotors at the front with nissin calipers, which although not the best are still at least reputable, also I like the fact it comes with tubeless spoked rims.

I think (depending on where the frame is made) the rolling chassis should be somewhat okay, it's just the dirty lump in the middle and the systems that run it which would be the main concern for me, also not a fan of the styling, it simply just isn't the real McCoy.

As you say quality and refinement are key, will be interesting to see how it does though!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not for me, but i'm hoping they turn out to be good and cheap so that triumph/triumph dealers will possibly have to up their game as far as prices go. There's not enough competition out there for the triumph classic line and i think the pricing lately reflects that. We need this ind of this to establish some competition and drive prices into the mortal realm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not for me, but i'm hoping they turn out to be good and cheap so that triumph/triumph dealers will possibly have to up their game as far as prices go. There's not enough competition out there for the triumph classic line and i think the pricing lately reflects that. We need this ind of this to establish some competition and drive prices into the mortal realm.
... and if the Triumph was made in China to save manufacturing cost, would you and other US citizens buy it?

·
Registered
507 Posts
... and if the Triumph was made in China to save manufacturing cost, would you and other US citizens buy it?
If i and others didn't what would triumph do? Do YOU know? No. Neither do i, but if they did and the quality was the same sure. Triumph now makes them in what....india is it? Do we still buy them? Yes. It's about quality not where it's made, and if triumph made them in china the same way (IE triumph runs the india factory, designs them and just uses local workers) I'm not goiing to debate u further because neither of us knows. But consider this....when they moved produtcion to india your response was the same as everyones back then. Not only is the classic line thriving but no one even mentions that anymore because triumph is always at the helm dictating quality control and all else therefore the product is the same. I have several guitars that are chinese made and BEAT some i have/had that are USA. It's not about china, it's about what the company's direction. But like i said, u don't know and neither do i, but triumph history with the india move tells me it will be the same bike regardless of where it's made. If not then triumph will suffer. But it's THEIR decision regardless of where they put the factory. Thats MY speculation. Yours is speculation too, but in the end without competition we have a monopoly and thats never a good thing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The trouble is that folk (no, don't take it personally!) like to pigeon-hole stuff - especially US citizens.

Oh, it's made in China. It's crap.

Oh, it's not a Harley-Davidson. When are you going to get man's bike, then?

Some US citizens rubbished - and would not buy - the BMW scooters because they use Chinese-made Loncin engines. They would not even test ride one.

It is struggle for some of these manufacturers to overcome prejudice.

BTW, Triumphs are made in Thailand and some Harleys in India.

The Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 has been on the market for a while now and Triumph have not reduced their prices. I don't see the Brixton 1200 changing that either.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The trouble is that folk (no, don't take it personally!) like to pigeon-hole stuff - especially US citizens.

Oh, it's made in China. It's crap.

Oh, it's not a Harley-Davidson. When are you going to get man's bike, then?

Some US citizens rubbished - and would not buy - the BMW scooters because they use Chinese-made Loncin engines. They would not even test ride one.

It is struggle for some of these manufacturers to overcome prejudice.

BTW, Triumphs are made in Thailand and some Harleys in India.

The Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 has been on the market for a while now and Triumph have not reduced their prices. I don't see the Brixton 1200 changing that either.
Thats right...thailand. In any case, i don't look at RE as competition because 1-they are extremely cheap looking upon close insection, while triumph up close is gem like, and 2-in the years that they have now been in production i have seen exactly 2 on the street. Thats a long long way from "competitive" considering i have seen 1000's of bonnevilles. I will say the motors are nice after having rode one. Very low power and not remotely competition in that regard either, but very smooth with a good wide power band. If they were quality and had a bigger engine they might be competitive, but as is i hardly see them as competitive with triumph other then luring those who don't care about quality or power, only price. And they've always been able to go japanese too but again, not at a quality level of triumph.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Be careful when you all spout that Chinese is no good. Just look at cars like polestar and the fact that Tesla made in china seem by owners to be better than us made ones. They can manufacture any quality you want. Most of you commenting clearly have never been to China or engaged at a business level with there manufactures. Also don't for one moment think that your triumph. Ducati. Hd. BMW Honda etc is not full of parts manufactured either in china or by Chinese owned companies in other far east countries.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
507 Posts
Be careful when you all spout that Chinese is no good. Just look at cars like polestar and the fact that Tesla made in china seem by owners to be better than us made ones. They can manufacture any quality you want. Most of you commenting clearly have never been to China or engaged at a business level with there manufactures. Also don't for one moment think that your triumph. Ducati. Hd. BMW Honda etc is not full of parts manufactured either in china or by Chinese owned companies in other far east countries.

Exactly, thats what i was saying. I mentioned guitars...well, i have several chinese guitars that are fantastic and cost next to nothing. But one is an acoustic and it IS a bit expensive but still only about 1/3 to 1/4 of the "quality" boutique brands it equals in tone. It's so good they caught on and all the naysayers are now buying them and no one ever mentions they are chinese anymore. As u said, china is capable of any level of quility, it just comes down to who they are building for and what they requested.

But heres the other thing....like with Thailand triumph would not likely contract a chinese co to build they, they will do what they did in thailand and build a triumph bought, built and directed factory there so the only difference in making them in china instead of england is the labor will be locals and thats where the costs come way down. But triumph would still be designing them and dictating the quality levels of materials and construction. Looking at the prices of triumphs since before they moved a lot of production out of the UK, they are way up. To me it seems rather than passing on any of the savings to the customers they used the reduced costs of thailand to generate higher profits., Thats why i say if they have competition they aren't going to be able to cut quality and still survive because their prices are at a level now that they will fall flat on their face if they cut quality. The only way to compete will be drop prices and keep the current quality level because thats why people buy triumphs over plastic [email protected]

·
Registered
47 Posts

I did not say that Chinese stuff is no good. I was repeating what I have heard others say.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The real quality test for this bike is going to be what happens to the gear change mechanism after a left hand drop...

• Haha
Reactions: Moto-Uno
1 - 20 of 44 Posts