Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 T140E EX
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While perusing websites for an oil pump, Low Brow Custom’s US shows one and states it is “British Standard Motorcycle Parts” source for OEM parts. This seems like a bamboozling statement as they list a lot of triumph parts but seldom state brand or origin but do mention wassell and JRC. Just wondering if there is a new partnershiboozle or if this is a low brow market scheme:
Low Browboozleornot

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Looks to me like that is just how they categorize this subset of parts they sell, with a catchy name.
I remember a time when you couldn't get parts, so a marketing scheme for parts you can get seems somewhat innocent to me.
Made you look, didn't it = effective

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Another marketing scheme they use is offering 10 hours of Vintage Triumph engine instructional video for free
Obviously I like them so I'm jumping to their defense

·
Registered
103 Posts
If Low Brow's grammar causes confusion in segments of the vintage fraternity, that's perhaps offset by it's unambiguous instructional-videos. The best there are.

As anyone who's seen Tod's 650 engine-rebuild series would know. Knowledgeable, lovely man, no egotistical waffle, fine camera work, interesting enough to view just for viewings sake.

👍 Ohio.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I also have to defend Lowbrow Customs. They are a solid company, and even make hard to find Triumph specific tools in house;

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi Stuart, thats an interesting observation. I wonder how Don performed his measurements. In terms of quality, I meant mostly build quality and I say that not from personal experience but feedback and general consensus of others here on this forum.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
I think that berating a vendor that provides a service to the Triumph community based solely on how they word something reminds me of all the hate mongers you see on the web these days. How you you like them to describe the fact that they sell parts for BSA, Triumph and Norton vintage bikes? Maybe just British Bike Parts? My guess is they were adding a bit of British flavor to the description. I certainly do not see it as false advertising or "bamboozling".

And I have to ask what the purpose or value in posting about their terminology served?

Looking at the link, it would appear that Lowbrow is trying to establish a brand name in the Brit bike parts market. Just like Wassel and others already familiar to us, this looks like it will be a new source. When you think about it, the name Lowbrow Customs certainly does not make one think that this is a supplier of vintage Brit bike parts. The name pretty much screams Harley, chopper, bobber, etc.. So, this could be stage one in Lowbrow trying to branch out on a more formal basis. In a year or two, you may see British Standard Motorcycle Parts as a stand-alone company/website and be strictly in the brit bike parts business. That would be my guess as to what is going on. With time, they may very well include country of origin for their parts if it is something that the market demands.

I belong to a few other bike sites that have a policy regarding badmouthing vendors without a good reason. Maybe it is something we should consider here.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I don't think anyone is bad mouthing the company. Assuming it's a private label brand they (Low Brow) have created for re-selling OEM products, I can see how that choice of a name could cause some consternation and confusion inside the community, competition has become a bit fierce in recent years and everyone is looking for a marketing edge, often times taking liberties others might not. Injecting the word "Standard" in any brand name can understandably rankle a few given its historical usage. But more importantly it just makes it harder to know what you are buying and where it is being sourced from because buyer's are being asked to take a leap of faith, at least that is my interpretation.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
They had my Amal 930 in stock, jetted properly, for a good price and it was here in 1 day, so I took that as them being serious about wanting my business. And if you're uncertain about the origin of a part, I'm sure they answer their telephone.
I buy from 6 different sources and I'm happy with every one of them. Some will have stock that others don't.
How many other makes of 50-year-old bikes have the parts resources and support that we do? My point being that we should support them and if you have a complaint address it to them privately.
I got some bad parts from my favorite supplier, so I called him just to let him know as a courtesy. Of course he said to return them, but it wasn't even worth the trouble

Reactions: franknfürter

·
Registered
334 Posts
First, Triumph do not make parts for pre Hinkley machines. Time for a rant. :devilish:

In the 70's I worked as a parts assistant in a small retail Triumph parts distribution. The shop used to buy from accredited Triumph distributors, rarely direct from Triumph. Many of these dealers would sell to other dealers parts they had commissioned themselves, often from Triumph suppliers, but not always, a valuable service to end users unable to get some parts even in the production cycle of their model. Older than 5 years was considered obsolete. Some parts were unique, parts Triumph never produced, rear sets, alloy mud guards etc come to mind. Triumph themselves had a long waiting list for parts and stocked the minimum, relying on dealers to stock hold for them, and had a 'understanding' that this was the case.

We hear a lot about 'Genuine Triumph', the truth is, even 'genuine' stock was frequently the result of an enterprising dealer, as needs must. Without that, many Triumph owners would have lost the use of their machines. The problem with many parts now, that even if made to original drawing, the context of the use is lost, and it is just 'another' product. Frequently with poor QC, mainly because the middle and end user, don't actually know what their looking at, compared to the original, it's difficult.

You can't knock a guy who decides to re-manufacture, he's taking a chance, he's using his money, and yes he's entitled to a profit, he can also call them what he wants. It's only within really the last decade or so demand has encouraged re-manufacture.

What you cant accept is shoddy, or mal-manufactured goods, and I've had my fair share of those, there are some cowboys, but not many. There must be a load of guys out there who have invested in manufacture, wondering why they should bother when you get moaning scroats that blame otherwise obsolete parts, rather assembly knowledge. It was the same in the 70's, and it's the same now, the difference is, scroats rarely have the benefit of the shop to ask about it, customer service is as prehistoric as £.s.p; there are exceptions, that we should cherish, but the truth is, I'd rather have imperfect, that you can do something with, than non. Find me a 71-5446 within spitting distance, and I'll find you someone who has them in mind to manufacture. So come on, give the guys a break.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
Hi Rob,

Ummm ... have you actually looked at the webpage @Lake Marine Ricky linked?

If you have, please post which "British"-made motorcycles were fitted as "Standard" with 200W single-phase stators, or JRC PWK/Keihin carburettors, which '71/'72 OIF were fitted as "Standard" with "Classic 60's Side Covers"? Or numerous other items on those pages?

You and I know none were. However, Lowbrow's webpages look exactly like Wassell's 8-year abuse (and I use that word advisedly) of the "Genuine Lucas" label to bamboozle the less-informed into buying their stuff, because it intentionally persuades said less-informed they're buying new versions of the original Lucas electrical bits on the 40-plus-year-old British bike they've just bought. Wassell would undoubtedly also say they "provide a service to the Triumph community"; however, all the old-Britbike internet forums have been littered for much longer than eight years with posts about poor-quality, ill- or non-fitting Wassell parts; I have first-hand experience, @Lake Marine Ricky has posted his.

How you you like them to describe the fact that they sell parts for BSA, Triumph and Norton vintage bikes?
About Us says Lowbrow have been going for eighteen years. Doesn't say when they started selling parts for BSA, Triumph and Norton vintage bikes but, given how long I've been seeing 'em mentioned in said forums, they didn't come down with the last rain shower. So why don't they just carry on describing they sell parts for BSA, Triumph and Norton vintage bikes the same way they have since they started selling 'em?

Lowbrow Customs certainly does not make one think that this is a supplier of vintage Brit bike parts.
Errrm ... you haven't read this thread either. Before this thread, the Forum Advanced Search says they'd been mentioned 284 times just in CVV. They've also been mentioned numerous times in other old-Britbike forums; I suspect there are plenty of other suppliers of vintage Brit bike parts that'd like to be thought of the same way ... :cool:

I belong to a few other bike sites that have a policy regarding badmouthing vendors without a good reason. Maybe it is something we should consider here.
The policy operates here, you just haven't noticed. Same as you haven't noticed your post #12 makes an absolutely-brilliant case why it shouldn't apply to Lowbrow's "British Standard" ...

Regards,

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi Rob,

Ummm ... have you actually looked at the webpage @Lake Marine Ricky linked?

If you have, please post which "British"-made motorcycles were fitted as "Standard" with 200W single-phase stators, or JRC PWK/Keihin carburettors, which '71/'72 OIF were fitted as "Standard" with "Classic 60's Side Covers"? Or numerous other items on those pages?

You and I know none were. However, Lowbrow's webpages look exactly like Wassell's 8-year abuse (and I use that word advisedly) of the "Genuine Lucas" label to bamboozle the less-informed into buying their stuff, because it intentionally persuades said less-informed they're buying new versions of the original Lucas electrical bits on the 40-plus-year-old British bike they've just bought. Wassell would undoubtedly also say they "provide a service to the Triumph community"; however, all the old-Britbike internet forums have been littered for much longer than eight years with posts about poor-quality, ill- or non-fitting Wassell parts; I have first-hand experience, @Lake Marine Ricky has posted his.

About Us says Lowbrow have been going for eighteen years. Doesn't say when they started selling parts for BSA, Triumph and Norton vintage bikes but, given how long I've been seeing 'em mentioned in said forums, they didn't come down with the last rain shower. So why don't they just carry on describing they sell parts for BSA, Triumph and Norton vintage bikes the same way they have since they started selling 'em?

Errrm ... you haven't read this thread either. Before this thread, the Forum Advanced Search says they'd been mentioned 284 times just in CVV. They've also been mentioned numerous times in other old-Britbike forums; I suspect there are plenty of other suppliers of vintage Brit bike parts that'd like to be thought of the same way ... :cool:

The policy operates here, you just haven't noticed. Same as you haven't noticed your post #12 makes an absolutely-brilliant case why it shouldn't apply to Lowbrow's "British Standard" ...

Regards,
Good point, those JRC carbs on a classic Triumph would be almost blasphemous.

·
Premium Member
1978 T140E EX
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
And I have to ask what the purpose or value in posting about their terminology served?
A well said explanation like this - thanks.
Looking at the link, it would appear that Lowbrow is trying to establish a brand name in the Brit bike parts market. Just like Wassel and others already familiar to us, this looks like it will be a new source. When you think about it, the name Lowbrow Customs certainly does not make one think that this is a supplier of vintage Brit bike parts. The name pretty much screams Harley, chopper, bobber, etc.. So, this could be stage one in Lowbrow trying to branch out on a more formal basis. In a year or two, you may see British Standard Motorcycle Parts as a stand-alone company/website and be strictly in the brit bike parts business. That would be my guess as to what is going on. With time, they may very well include country of origin for their parts if it is something that the market demands.
To drop hate monger on the old bamboozle seems a bit strong but I'll take the hit! If my blatant use of the offensive term bamboozle and my derivative "partnershiboozle" berates and badmouths the vendor then moderators please delete this post or change bamboozle to vague and partnershiboozzle to partnership.

I should not have singled out Lowbrows use of "British Standard" as bamboozling. Others use the term NOS, Triumph or Made in England etc. Seldom do they state Emgo or Made in Taiwan or Supplied by LF Harris but unsure of country of origin.
Suppliers seldom state brand or where a product is made. In reality I guess it is all reverse engineered or duplicated by a distributors lowest bidder. I had been searching for a Morgo oil pump (though I understand their flow may not be optimal) as they seem very well respected for quality and their name is embossed in the casting. I could not find a Morgo in stock for a *78 unit twin in the US.
Other pump suppliers I found state either Made in UK or they dont say at all. I contacted Lowbrow and they said there pump was LF Harris (no not a British Standard). That seems to be well respected "brand" but what does being an "LF Harris" supplied part really mean. I don't know if they actually manufacture anything or if they source to the global supply chain. Im not trying to berate or badmouth LF Harris. Maybe its just me but I like the idea of a supplier showing the make or where something is made on items they offer on their websites.
Perhaps if they had stated LF Harris and not British Standard.

·
Registered
261 Posts
interesting thread.
As far as low bro is concerned, I found there 650 rebuild videos incredibly helpful ( as a newbie )..
Parts for my on ongoing rebuild, it's been a been a mine field, with many returned for various reasons, mainly being not fit for purpose, other times, completely wrong parts for the application.
Other times being told completely contradictory information, ie That the 9989 exhaust Cam is NOT to be used as an upgrade choice for a 76 T140 and being sent a " no name Cam" with no markings that simply didn't fit ( still trying to get a credit.. I could name names, but it would be pointless...
I've found, that it's really important to build a relationship with a supplier you trust that knows what there about and has the experience,,,, there's plenty of them about as I have found, and some I can actually phone and talk too and they are happy to give there opinions and recommendations...
Then of course there's sites like this, that you can research and read first hand from experienced owners.
My local L F Harris supplier, is fully open about all there parts origin, openly selling some Wassel parts, but fully identifies which ones, so you make your choices from there..
So in all honesty, as a first timer, Parts and there quality, have been my biggest hurdle...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts