Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Did you have a check engine light before the tune download to the ECM? If so as you may already know, you could have deleted it at the start of the process. Either way, try riding for a couple of days to allow normalization. If after three complete cycles, meaning ride and stop, leaving the bike to cool down completely (overnight?) three times, it most likely will go away. If CEL starts flashing/blinking, stop riding, as there may be a more serious issue! Didn't have this happen myself, but every bike is different, as are the many mods implemented.

You didn't say....how does the bike run now, besides the CEL??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did you have a check engine light before the tune download to the ECM? If so as you may already know, you could have deleted it at the start of the process. Either way, try riding for a couple of days to allow normalization. If after three complete cycles, meaning ride and stop, leaving the bike to cool down completely (overnight?) three times, it most likely will go away. If CEL starts flashing/blinking, stop riding, as there may be a more serious issue! Didn't have this happen myself, but every bike is different, as are the many mods implemented.

You didn't say....how does the bike run now, besides the CEL??
Sorry for all the back and forth :( I appreciate all your help though.

Fixed the check engine light. Noticed the instructions have changed from the 20 minutes to 70 degrees Celsius (whichever comes first) in TuneLoader. Ran the adaptation again and reached 70 with no tps sensor light. Took a ride and at lower speeds it is incredible. Just a completely different bike. About 10 minutes in I started to notice a sort of “tick” and a pulse in the front, then a “tick” and a pulse with a little back fire between 1st and 2nd. Seemed to be pretty intermittent. Could it be that the TPS is still “learning” ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
My guess is yes. Keep riding and I think things will normalize. You should expect a nice smooth power curve through the rev range, and no jerkiness or misfires. Glad to read things are moving in the right direction. I would encourage you to enjoy the ride and explore the improvements, rather than worry about minor inconsistencies that come and go. I find occasional anomalies do occur depending on many variables....ambient temps, speed, the quality of the gasoline (stay with 87 Octane), humidity, load and multiple others.

All the very best, and most importantly ride safe. Happy to have helped out, take care, Thruxty

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've installed a few tunes now, including one of TTP's. Don't keep the cold start knob out if I recall correctly and do not touch the throttle. You could use a fan in front of the engine to try to keep the temp down and idle a little longer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
@Thruxty Something is definitely wrong...It is now getting worse and like I said, it never did this before I loaded the TTP Tune (atleast I never noticed it). Unfortunately, I have emailed @PieMan multiple times with no response to any of my recent emails, which is pretty discouraging considering all the praise he was given for offline help.

I believe I saw a similar thread that @Forchetto chimed in on. As I said, I am new to this so not sure whether I should continue this one or move to a different thread although they seem related.

Please help! :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
@Thruxty Something is definitely wrong...It is now getting worse and like I said, it never did this before I loaded the TTP Tune (atleast I never noticed it). Unfortunately, I have emailed @PieMan multiple times with no response to any of my recent emails, which is pretty discouraging considering all the praise he was given for offline help.

Video link

I believe I saw a similar thread that @Forchetto chimed in on. As I said, I am new to this so not sure whether I should continue this one or move to a different thread although they seem related.

Please help! :(
Can you remove the tune? I'm following as I'd like to go this route. Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Can you remove the tune? I'm following as I'd like to go this route. Good luck!
I don't think so no because at this point I have done, BC Predators Exhaust, BC Air Box Removal Kit, and Air Injection Removal Kit, O2 Sensor removal, and would still need a remap of some kind. It would be great if @PieMan would respond to my emails or provide some support so that I would know whether it is related to the tune or not. The video should be really clear to exactly what is happening.

:(

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm currently trying a free tune from TuneECU. It seems to be working well. Might be a tad rich, need to check the plugs if I get more riding in once weather improves. Then I'll try a modified map Pie Man provided me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm currently trying a free tune from TuneECU. It seems to be working well. Might be a tad rich, need to check the plugs if I get more riding in once weather improves. Then I'll try a modified map Pie Man provided me.
Have you ever experienced something like what is in my video?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm really no help, just guessing. You're video does sound wrong. Personally I'd remove the tune. You aren't going to kill anything. Unfortunate that you aren't getting a response.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
I don't think so no because at this point I have done, BC Predators Exhaust, BC Air Box Removal Kit, and Air Injection Removal Kit, O2 Sensor removal, and would still need a remap of some kind. It would be great if @PieMan would respond to my emails or provide some support so that I would know whether it is related to the tune or not. The video should be really clear to exactly what is happening.

:(
Hi Whittle,

we have not received any emails from you, please go HERE and send an email that way, thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi Whittle,

we have not received any emails from you, please go HERE and send an email that way, thanks.
We had a thread going where you were responding but then stopped and the last thing I received from you was on April 14th. I will respond again through the link you provided (which is where I originally reached out). Thanks for picking this back up!

·
Registered
70 Posts
_whittle - If you could try and remember to update this thread, I especially would appreciate it. I really want to do pretty much exactly what you are doing. I have used a power commander, but not this. When you get time, I would also love to know what cable you are using.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Update: @PieMan responded to my last email and it turns out his email was buried in my SPAM folder. NO CLUE why. Make me feel a lot better because all people were saying was how awesome his customer support was so I figured something wasn't getting to one of us. In his response, he gave me some good leads. For starters, assessing the MAP sensor hoses. This is something that I had never previously touched but after reading this post, MAP sensors on EFI Bonneville- Long post, it is clear how important these are to the proper running of the bike. As Mike at TTP Tune pointed out, it could be a "pinhole" of leakage that would cause the symptoms that I was experiencing in the video. When I took a look at them this afternoon, they didn't seem super snug and I was able to push them on further. I ended up tightening a zip-tie around all the joints on the two hoses aswell as ordering a brand new pair for backup (noticed some slight cracking).

Whether is crappy to test ride but I will continue to update this thread! Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's what he told me as well. There are 3 map sensors, one is under the seat. He kept blaming the bike although trying other free tunes and even modifying his tune in TuneECU caused the bike to start better. I want to try cams next but I only know of his tune that I can acquire without finding an actual tuner to bring the bike to and not sure I want to risk it at this point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That's what he told me as well. There are 3 map sensors, one is under the seat. He kept blaming the bike although trying other free tunes and even modifying his tune in TuneECU caused the bike to start better. I want to try cams next but I only know of his tune that I can acquire without finding an actual tuner to bring the bike to and not sure I want to risk it at this point.
Oh, interesting...there is a third one under the seat?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes and you should be able to read all 3 in TuneECU if I remember correctly. The 2 are used to sync up the throttle bodies and the 3rd is for ambient pressure. All 3 are the same part number so you could swap them around to see what the numbers do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lol, makes me not want to go this path. I'm a ways from it at this point anyway. Thanks for the update. Curious to hear if you fixed it!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts