Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2012 Triumph Bonneville (MAG) and was given a set of British Customs Predator exhaust. I have no other modifications to the bike (yet) but figured I would throw these on. I am used to older vintage (BSA, Norton, Triumph, etc.) bikes and have never done anything with mapping. I also live in Maine 2 hours from a Triumph Dealer :(

Question #1: is a remap/tune ABSOLUTELY necessary? I realize it is recommended but with no other modifications, what will be the cons to not having one? Can I still ride it without one for the time being? Will it seriously damage the engine?

Question #2: I am not bad with computers and am willing to go down the Tune ECU road and have a OBD2>USB cable (just never done it). However, I don't want to seriously mess something up all for a free set of mufflers...

FIRST POST :) Let me know if I am posting in the wrong place or need to learn some adequate. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
953 Posts
When I installed my Norman Hyde Toga's (a free flowing exhaust as are the Predator's) I also opened up the air intake by simply pulling off the air box snorkel. More air in more air out and I remapped with the 2 into 2 Arrow map available from a Triumph dealer. An appropriate tune map could be found on Tuneecu I suppose. Since then I have upgraded to a TTP fuel map.
But I'm not entirely sure you need to remap with just a free flowing exhaust. The air fuel ratios would be a bit different I suspect. How does it run?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven’t done it yet because I ride the bike all the time and didn’t want to have to undo it before getting a remap :/ I was just curious before a dive in. I mean I suppose it won’t hurt the bike. Just may not run as well as it could?

·
Registered
79 Posts
FWIW, I don't know if there's a totally reliable answer to your question. Here's the theory, as far as my feeble mind can grasp: Breathing mods can result in the engine running leaner than it should, especially at higher rpms. And yes, in theory, an engine that runs too lean for too long can be damaged pretty badly. Triumph's own Arrow exhaust, for example, required a remap for this reason (at least mine apparently did). So if it was little ol' OCD me, I wouldn't install those pipes until you can also remap.

That said, I'd bet that there are lots of owners out there who did what you're proposing and, because of luck, or how they ride, or whatever margin of error Triumph built in, have had no problems. I think it comes down to whether you're a 'do it right' person, or a 'whatever works' person... no judgment implied.

·
Registered
502 Posts
ScrammyB said it best. To get the most benefit I would add the Preditors, modify your intake, and buy the appropriate TTP tune. I know it sounds daunting, but honestly, it's well worth it. Good luck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Itll run a little lean, which makes them run a little hotter, but no, no serious engine damage.

These engines are happiest when they’re run open.....pods, free flowing exhaust and a tune to marry it all.

Trust us, the TTP Tune for your selection of intake/exhaust is extremely easy to install.

And the bike will love you for it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wow! @CUP1967 @Thruxty I had no idea about this TTP tune and tha tI could buy it and go through it with their instructions. Happy to spend the money and this seems pretty idiot proof :) So if I go with the BC Predators, BC Air Box Removal Kit, and Air Injection Removal Kit: it seems like Tune 11 is probably the most appropriate, no? 865 EFI tune map 11, Bonneville & T100

Once purchased, I can download their software and it is pretty straight forward to do myself?

SERIOUSLY, thank you for all the help!

·
Registered
50 Posts
ScrammyB said it best. To get the most benefit I would add the Preditors, modify your intake, and buy the appropriate TTP tune. I know it sounds daunting, but honestly, it's well worth it. Good luck!
Another vote for the TTP route. I was intimidated at first and had some issues during the process. However, Mike at TTP is very responsive and will answer any question, no matter how dumb. Trust me on that one. The bike accelerates throughout all gears with no flat spots. It was truly transformed, and I only have TORS. Im sure it will be a beast with the Preds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to verify I am purchasing the best TTP Tune...I have a 2012 Triumph Bonneville and will be adding BC Predator exhaust, BC Air Box Eliminator, Air Injection Eliminator, and O2 Sensor Eliminator. I am thinking Tune #11 is the one but Mike at TTP Tune had said to only use Tune 11 if the BC silencers are longer than 20". If they are less, use Tune 12. Looks like from what I can see that the Predators are 18" long. I trust this guy Mike, I was just curious because it seems like my configuration is pretty popular and I hear about a lot of people using Tune 11...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a '12 Bonnie SE. I was getting popping when letting off the throttle after installing the BC Preds. There was also distinct lack of power when hitting a certain rpm range. I ended up getting TTP #3, which resolved both issues. I did remove the oxygen sensors and airbox baffle, as part of the tune specs. I am not getting very good gas mileage, but it is likely due to being heavy handed with the throttle now - just love how the Preds sound.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@jazzyj Did you do the TTP install yourself? Was it pretty simple and straight forward? I suppose I will go with whatever Tune Mike at TTP says as he seems to be the professional!

·
Registered
502 Posts
_whittle, besides buying the tune, you will need a laptop (NOT a Mac) and the right cable that plugs in between the bike's control module (ECM) and the computer to complete the transfer to the bike. You'll find the ECM under seat. Follow the instructions to a T and you will be good. I aimed a couple of fans at the engine, placed either side of the front wheel, as the engine idles for quite some time and gets very hot as it completes the setup. Needless to say, do this with the exhaust pointing outside to avoid the fumes accumulating. Takes about 20 - 25 minutes all in, once you have downloaded the tune to your laptop. I didn't look for it, but there is probably a YouTube video on the process, as with so many other things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Alright, I went through all the instructions properly. Got to the monitor screen and had it up for about 17 minutes before turning it off with no TPS light on. I realize it says 20 minutes but it was up to 110 Celsius and got me nervous so I turned it off. How do I know if it finalized or not?

Also, was the cold start knob supposed to be out the entire 20 minutes? I pushed it in after about 7 minutes. Instructions say to pull it and start the engine but no mention of pushing it back in at any point and I wanted to follow it to a T. Let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
_whittle, besides buying the tune, you will need a laptop (NOT a Mac) and the right cable that plugs in between the bike's control module (ECM) and the computer to complete the transfer to the bike. You'll find the ECM under seat. Follow the instructions to a T and you will be good. I aimed a couple of fans at the engine, placed either side of the front wheel, as the engine idles for quite some time and gets very hot as it completes the setup. Needless to say, do this with the exhaust pointing outside to avoid the fumes accumulating. Takes about 20 - 25 minutes all in, once you have downloaded the tune to your laptop. I didn't look for it, but there is probably a YouTube video on the process, as with so many other things.
Alright, I went through all the instructions properly. Got to the monitor screen and had it up for about 17 minutes before turning it off with no TPS light on. I realize it says 20 minutes but it was up to 110 Celsius and got me nervous so I turned it off. How do I know if it finalized or not?

Also, was the cold start knob supposed to be out the entire 20 minutes? I pushed it in after about 7 minutes. Instructions say to pull it and start the engine but no mention of pushing it back in at any point and I wanted to follow it to a T. Let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi _Whittle, I think you are good to go. I did same as you. Not sure what magic goes on between the tune and the ECM, but I assume it needs the running time to verify and cross check all the settings specific to your bike and equipment and all are running correct and well.

Of course I assume you did the tune install after you had completed all your mods.

Let us know if all is well and how it is running. Still may need a few short trips for all to settle down, so don't panic if things run a little rough at first, but for sure you should have no check engine light.

Safe riding, enjoy, all best, Thruxty

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi _Whittle, I think you are good to go. I did same as you. Not sure what magic goes on between the tune and the ECM, but I assume it needs the running time to verify and cross check all the settings specific to your bike and equipment and all are running correct and well.

Of course I assume you did the tune install after you had completed all your mods.

Let us know if all is well and how it is running. Still may need a few short trips for all to settle down, so don't panic if things run a little rough at first, but for sure you should have no check engine light.

Safe riding, enjoy, all best, Thruxty
Do you think it would hurt to just try the process again? I did some reading and I think what might be causing it to reach such high temps so quickly was the cold start knob. My bike has never needed that but per the instructions I pulled it out and left it on for quite awhile. Like 7 minutes till it was popping and spitting and sounded like crap. I bet if I went through it again without it I might see more success.

·
Registered
502 Posts
-Whitttle. Can you define your concern after a ride? Unclear as to the problem. Been a while since I installed my tune, but in normal use I start with choke out and immediately after it is running, push to the shorter stop, and a couple mins. later all the way in, usually while out on the road. How soon depends on outside temperatures. Do you feel the bike is overheating in normal use? How is it running? When I did the install I did run with the choke out for about 3-5 minutes if I recollect, but can't remember how long for stage one or two. My bike has the EFI. I think you did it right, or maybe could have pushed the choke in a bit earlier, but I believe it has to run at "normal" temp for the tune to be set up optimally.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have a way to accurately determine my engine's operating temp. Been meaning to buy one of those temperature guns for curiosities sake, but haven't yet!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
-Whitttle. Can you define your concern after a ride? Unclear as to the problem. Been a while since I installed my tune, but in normal use I start with choke out and immediately after it is running, push to the shorter stop, and a couple mins. later all the way in, usually while out on the road. How soon depends on outside temperatures. Do you feel the bike is overheating in normal use? How is it running? When I did the install I did run with the choke out for about 3-5 minutes if I recollect, but can't remember how long for stage one or two. My bike has the an EFI. I think you did it right, or maybe could have pushed the choke in a bit earlier, but I believe it has to run at "normal" temp for the tune to be set up optimally.
Haha that is a fair question. I guess it is mostly the OCD in me that I don’t know whether or not it “worked” fully. I can take it for a ride tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Star
Unfortunately I don't have a way to accurately determine my engine's operating temp. Been meaning to buy one of those temperature guns for curiosities sake, but haven't yet!
Started up the engine and there is a check engine light :(

1 - 20 of 41 Posts