Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

I assume I am supposed to be looking for a short in the wiring. - Indicators work fine, then I use hazard switch and indicators stop working altogether for about 20 seconds.

My bike has aftermarket LED's that were poorly installed, I found one indicator had ground & power in wrong plugs. Also rear brake white license plate light & brake light were in wrong ports! Terrible install. But alas, this is life buying a used vehicle.

Those are problems I understood, and fixed myself.
Bike is on "type 1"
- - - - - - -
I do not understand where to look for the hazard light issue - where is the main location I should be investigating? In the front bulb? Under the seat? Somewhere else? The switch itself? Relay?

-Upon turning key to On, it takes 20 seconds before indicators work at all.
-Indicators only work if hazard switch is on.
-Upon moving hazard switch to Off, indicators won't work
-Upon moving hazard switch to On, indicators will work after 20 seconds, but no hazard flashing of all 4 lights.

-Headlight always turns on, but cannot switch between low and high for a little while (needs to warm up?)

Brand spankin new to forums.
Thanks!
- P
2018 Bonneville t120 Black

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Have you tried changing the indicators from "type 1" on the instruments?
Its possible one of the other settings may fix the issues, although the 20s thing is a bit weird.
Don't suppose you have any original indicators to try, at least that would prove the wiring is ok.
The hazard switch is just connected in parallel across the indicator switch and just switches both L & R on together and I don't see any need for the previous owner to mess with the wiring to fit aftermarket indicators but you never know with used bikes.
Also there is no indicator relay, they are controlled directly from the instruments.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried changing the indicators from "type 1" on the instruments?
Its possible one of the other settings may fix the issues, although the 20s thing is a bit weird.
Don't suppose you have any original indicators to try, at least that would prove the wiring is ok.
The hazard switch is just connected in parallel across the indicator switch and just switches both L & R on together and I don't see any need for the previous owner to mess with the wiring to fit aftermarket indicators but you never know with used bikes.
Also there is no indicator relay, they are controlled directly from the instruments.
Thank you for the reply!
I have tried all 4 settings yes, only type one works at all.
"The hazard switch is just connected in parallel across the indicator switch and just switches both L & R on together"
That is extremely useful thank you, do you know where I should be looking for an issue with that connection? I can't for the life of me find the hazard switch on the diagram
Thank you CafRacer

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I think that diagram is for the older air cooled bikes.
The only one I have is for the Thruxton but i'm guessing its the same.
34 is the indicator switch and 33 the hazards.

Attachments

Reactions: TA96

·
Registered
819 Posts
Here's your T120 wiring diagram...

The light green wire with a brown stripe (LG/BR) is the 12v power to both the turn + hazard switches. If you're adept at troubleshooting then have a go. Just match the diagram. You'll have to take the headlamp off (remove from the bottom first cause there's a retaining clip at the top), then take the two T20 screws out to expose the wires in the top of the shell. In the pic below you can see the LG/BR wire in the big whitish connector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's your T120 wiring diagram...

View attachment 739007

The light green wire with a brown stripe (LG/BR) is the 12v power to both the turn + hazard switches. If you're adept at troubleshooting then have a go. Just match the diagram. You'll have to take the headlamp off (remove from the bottom first cause there's a retaining clip at the top), then take the two T20 screws out to expose the wires in the top of the shell. In the pic below you can see the LG/BR wire in the big whitish connector.

View attachment 739008
Thank you both SO much! Awesome pictures and patience.
I am learning slowly!
I did find a short on that exact wire tahtye described - now what do I do with that information?

Am I to follow it downstream (towards battery) and look for an exposed wire?
Is there a particular location that it pops out? I cannot see from that manual picture where else it leads.
Thank you!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm unsure how to answer your questions. They don't really make sense to me, sorry.

If there is a direct "short" on the LG/BR wire, then your turn signals would not work at all and you'd most likely have a blown fuse. The fact that your turn signals work means that circuit is good downstream of the TS switch. What isn't good is the power feeding this switch. Make sense?

Per your description, your wiring has obviously been incorrectly wired to have your symptom. You will need to assimilate the wiring diagram to the actual wiring on your bike. That is the hard part. You have the full diagram now so that's a start. Successfully tracing out the circuit will enable you to find and correct whatever "they" did.

Either that or just leave the hazard switch on all the time.. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm unsure how to answer your questions. They don't really make sense to me, sorry.

If there is a direct "short" on the LG/BR wire, then your turn signals would not work at all and you'd most likely have a blown fuse. The fact that your turn signals work means that circuit is good downstream of the TS switch. What isn't good is the power feeding this switch. Make sense?

Per your description, your wiring has obviously been incorrectly wired to have your symptom. You will need to assimilate the wiring diagram to the actual wiring on your bike. That is the hard part. You have the full diagram now so that's a start. Successfully tracing out the circuit will enable you to find and correct whatever "they" did.

Either that or just leave the hazard switch on all the time.. lol
Very good, I think I understand and agree.

I just tried unplugging rear light harness - so now the front indicators can do L/R no problem AND they do hazard function too!

I can also plug in ONE rear indicator, and hazards will work for the 3.
As soon as I plug in the final rear indicator - left or right (I've tried both) then they all shut down.

I opened up the lights and to my surprise they aren't actually LED's! (actually big old incandescent bulbs) So I figure, they are drawing too much power. My options are to just not use hazard switch, or to switch to LED / factory lights.

For now I will just avoid using hazards, and maybe in the future see if problem can be solved with less demanding lights!

Thank you tahtye & CafRacer, I learned a bunch!

I see other people had the exact same issue with the British Customs lights, British Customs pan taillight and retro turn signals...
I will email BC and see if they have a fix, will post update later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts