Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed these on a 790 Bonneville with stage 1 mods? (Airbox elimination kit, preditor exhaust, and jetting ) If so, what improvement, if any, did you notice? The stage 1 mods were well worth the money with the improvement in midrange performance. British Customs says these manifolds will improve the bottom end. I have no reason to doubt them, but $200 is $200 and I would like to hear from anyone who has made this mod to see if it is money well spent.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I had them on mine when it was a stock 790 I dont think they helped at all other then they hold the carbs better.What you need to look at is how far to you plan on building up your motor .If you plan on going to 39mm carbs then you can use them later ,if you plan on going with the 42mm carbs then save your money manifolds come with the carb kit.
Any of you guys that want to do a big bore or stroker kit later need to plan things out so you dont buy a bunch of parts you wont want to use when you build your motor.You will save money by buying the good stuff one time.
I dont know how many people I have seen buy tor mufflers then buy something better in 6 months or a year or do air box mods only to take the air box out in a few months.
Make yourself a list of where you want to go before you start doing mods,save money up buy the good stuff,in the end you will have a better bike that way.

·
30,306 Posts
That sounds like astoundingly good advice Mike. People would do well to follow that. I kind of wish I had. Not to worry though, it can be a part of the fun, but if you know you're going to be building the motor up, sounds like following Mikes advice is the way to go.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
lol i only posted that so others wouldnt waste money like i did .
people think there saveing money sometimes.Just like you hear people say the bp 42mm carb kit is high but if you planed to go with that in the first place you would get air box kit ,with filters ,manifolds ,new cables,new throttle and carbs for very close to the same price as buying all that stuff a peace at a time and putting 39mm carbs on.

·
30,306 Posts
Aaaaargh! No don't tempt me! I'm in deep enough now! Before long the voices in my head will chime in!

Moooooooooooooooooooooooore Poooooower! Mooooooooore Power!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Whilst there are some very valid points being made here, I think there are also one or two which aren't being considered, of which Prop did slightly touch on.

The vast majority here start with a stock standard bike and are initially more than happy with it.
Not many (altho there are obviously some) start out with the intention of creating a 100hp dragster from the outset.
They make their list of "wants" and then go for it!
This is by no means a critisism of those who choose this direction.

Like myself, the majority start to read, on sites such as this, what improvements could be made with minimal outlay.
i.e. exhaust and airbox mods and rejetting to suit which results in much publicised improvement in performance and rideability.

This starts the happy journey which is followed by many.
Some may follow that journey to the ultimate extreme, others are more than satisfied by only taking it part of the way.
Cost may or may not be the ultimate consideration in this, as it may also be knowledge, experience, practical ability or even fear!

What is not being mentioned above is the enjoyment and satisfaction element which is gained in carrying out these incremental mods yourself and experiencing the fruits of your efforts as a result.
As each step is taken then confidence grows and the need for more increases leading to the next step.

With the airbox mods there is more or less NO cost implication, other than buying jets.
The majority of the freeing-up only involves removing bits of plastic.
But the results, as we know, are quite astounding (but yes, everything is relative!)

Ive had my Scram for just over 6 months now and can honestly say that not a day goes by where I dont carry out some kind of tinkering or tweaking on it, all of which I have enjoyed immensely and the majority of which are posted on here.
If I'd gone from the bottom of the mod ladder to the top of it in the first week (which I could have done) then I would have lost those 6 months (so far) worth of great staisfaction, interest, enjoyments and (as the wife would say) obsession!!
Long may it continue I say! And it probably will!

At no time since buying the bike have I ever not taken great satisfaction in riding it up the road also. 5000 miles in 6 months proves that point.
Thats what makes me pick up the Triumph keys in preferance to the Ducati's each morning.

I may end up eventually removing the airbox entirely, who knows, but I certainly would not for one minute regret the months of tinkering, adjusting, modifying, smiling! (and of course spending) all along the way, nor would I suggest that others would be wrong in doing the same and experiencing it all in exactly the same manner.

My two-pence worth..............

(Oh and I just realised, totally off-topic!!)

V.

·
30,306 Posts
Well I reckon you sum it up pretty well Ventura. To anyone who is thinking of working on their bike and tweaking more performance out of it, the information is all on this forum - look around, see what people have done, get an estimate of cost and difficulty, and try and figure out what you really want to do, and how far you might go in the future. It makes a lot of sense to me to try and replace parts only once. So as others have said - if you're going to replace carbs, put the best ones on up front. Same with pipes. Etc so on and so forth.

Some people like to see the difference each part makes, that's their choice. I sort of wish I'd thought a bit further ahead and gone straight to the preds from stock, and bypassed the TORs.

On the other hand, we have a very healthy network for exchanging / swapping / selling used parts, and I already have someone lined up for the TORs, so it's not all that bad.

Now - what was the topic anyway? :rolleyes:

Oh I think Sweat already answered that.

Sorry for the thread Hijack OP!

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I agree with you Ventura as far as low cost mods or no cost mods go.But when you start buying pipes and such then people need to think and read what works best from some of us that have found out the hard way.
Ventura your hooked now lol in a year you will be building a big motor lol wait and see.
These bikes are made for guys who like to tinker sure are alot of fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts