Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I finally got around to swapping my stock 17T countershaft sprocket to the 18T British Customs sprocket I bought awhile back; it didn't fit.

The splines are different. Has anybody else had this problem? My Bonnie is an early 2001 model but I can't find any references to a different part number for early models.

The British Customs part number is: BC704-001-18.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My mistake

This morning it fit.

The sharp inter edges of the new gear combined with the chain being slightly in the way must caused it to bind. I tried to stack the two gears on each other and sight them up but the old gear (17T) has plastic on it so they don't lay flat so I couldn't tell.

Anyway no problem except my embarrassment :eek:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Have had similar happen. Whats worse is when you have convinced yourself something is wrong and you go to show someone else and it works for them. Aurgh. Um...not that that has ever happened to me. I am brilliant-ish.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
All Bonneville's and their 2 cylinder variants 2001+ use the same splined output shaft and hense, all sprocket sizes are interchangeable (assuming you were shipped the correct part).

/Mike

·
Registered
648 Posts
I had concerns when I installed my new 19T front sprocket on my '09 Bonneville (18 was stock) due to it's not having the plastic pieces on the sides.
Does anyone here know why Triumph makes them with the plastic pieces bonded on the sides?
My new sprocket without the plastic works fine but I'm still curious... :confused:

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I had concerns when I installed my new 19T front sprocket on my '09 Bonneville (18 was stock) due to it's not having the plastic pieces on the sides.
Does anyone here know why Triumph makes them with the plastic pieces bonded on the sides?
My new sprocket without the plastic works fine but I'm still curious... :confused:
Noise and vibration damping only.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
All Bonneville's and their 2 cylinder variants 2001+ use the same splined output shaft and hense, all sprocket sizes are interchangeable (assuming you were shipped the correct part).

/Mike
Mike,I have an 18t off of Stevent`s old Trophy that has the same spline`s as the Bonnie too. It takes a 530 chain though.Jojie verified this to be true for me.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I think so,even though most people go the other way,to the lighter 520 setup. My Dymags came with a Talon 530/43t by mistake,and Talon sent me a 525 replacement. Steve`s wrecked Trophy had a nearly new factory 18 that is sitting in a box,waiting,for my stock stuff to wear out.[as if,22kmiles and no evidence yet:D]

·
Registered
781 Posts
even though most people go the other way,to the lighter 520 setup.
Right, but for the guys that put tons of miles a year on their bikes, the 530 would be pretty attractive. Interesting indeed...

-brent

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Steve,

You must be putting a lot of those miles on while rolling it in and out of the garage while building new pipes, seats, tanks, etc., etc. :D

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Yep,I think I`ve pushed it about 80' in the past two months.Brain surgery for the wife,my current knee surgery and some vacation,intermingled with crazy projects,bad weather and 2-1/2 months of unpaid time off have been taking their toll. The tank thing was just a diversion.I`m gonna stick with seats and pipes to lessen my frustration.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts