Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Just look at this stupid comment, typical of our modern namby-pamby, vegetarian, organic, low-carbon footprint, nannied society, where no-one is to be allowed any fun in case they hurt someone. Makes me throw-up :ThrowUp :

Are we sure it's responsible to let a 94-year-old man drive a motorbike? What if he suffers some kind of ailment due to his old age and skids off the road, plowing through other people? Not a very pleasant thought. Should we indulge this man or focus our attention more on the safety of the streets and tell him it's time to hang up his gloves?

- Shelly, Sheffield, 3/7/2011 21:47

Well. if he's "driving" a motorbike; he's doing it wrong. :D Maybe she'd be happier if he were driving a Cadillac or a semi-truck? :eek: Seriously, you have to expect some do-gooder to come out of the woodwork and post this sort of crap anyway; they hate to see anybody enjoy life. IMO, if he's physically/mentally fit to ride, and stays within his limitations (if any), why should he lose his rights for the crime of simply growing old? ......................James.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
You definitely shouldn't judge a person by his age alone. Some people are terrible drivers/riders their whole lives. Some people have perfectly sharp minds and fit bodies even into their 90s.

And he's a lot less likely to hurt or kill others on a bike than in a car. It sounds like he has already made certain concessions by going down to a 250 anyway to save wear and tear on his body. He sounds like he knows himself well enough to make his own decisions.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
...Are we sure it's responsible to let a 94-year-old man drive a motorbike? What if he suffers some kind of ailment due to his old age and skids off the road, plowing through other people? Not a very pleasant thought. Should we indulge this man or focus our attention more on the safety of the streets and tell him it's time to hang up his gloves?

- Shelly, Sheffield, 3/7/2011 21:47

Wow, what a monument to stupidity and a testament to ignorance. Doesn't Shelly know that if he suffers an "ailment" he will lose control of the bike and the bike will go down? Is she not familiar with basic physics? Has she never ridden a bicycle? If he suffers an "ailment" while in a 4 wheeler, that 4 wheeler can keep on going and if there's more weight/pressure on the accelerator, then he can plow into MORE people?

On this side of the pond, we are hardly the safest motorcyclist but in my 3 years back on a bike I've only heard of one motorcyclist hitting a pedestrian and he was going REALLY fast, a statistical abnormality.

When I don't know much about a subject, I tend to keep my mouth shut. I'd rather people think I'm stupid, than prove it to them...

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Over here the elderly have to pass a medical every few years, to keep their licence. & he looks like he'd fly through any medical. So there's no reason to even mention banning him. I'd call Shelly from Sheffield a moron, but I don't want to insult morons.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
That was a fantastic artice.sounds like a great guy....he won the lottery, took just enough to buy his bike and donated the rest to charity!!! 74 years of riding? Wow!

Thanks Forchetto for posting that

H

·
0 Posts
When I read articles like this it warms my heart, not just because I hope to live a little longer, or want to ride as well as him. It is that he never took himself out of lifes journey.
Never bowed to the nannies of the world and seemed to treat his fellow man with respect. May he ride till the end with my admiration . Great thread.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts