Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

Bit of a weird request: I am in the middle of deciding whether to buy a new Sprint ST or VFR. I am really leaning towards the Sprint but need to nudge my girlfriend/pillion over the line.

Currently I have a Suzuki M109 which has a fairly large pillion seat. I have added a back-rest and also put optional floor-boards and re-located them 4" forward. So quite comfortable for Anna. She is really concerned about comfort on the Sprint and did like the comfort on the VFR. I am a bit worried about the VFR's ability to carry the two of us 2-up with luggage and the look of the Sprint really appeals to me. Basically I need to get Anna comfortable on the Sprint..

Anna has quite bad knees and the angle behind her knee is fairly acute on the Sprint. I was wanting to have a look at the Corbin and see if that raised her at all and increased that knee angle.

Anybody in the Brisbane area with the Corbin and pillion backrest who would let Anna and I sit on the bike? I don't want a test-ride. Well I do, but I won't ask. :D:D:D:D

Cheers,
Angus. (hoping to be a Sprint owner soon)

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's a BMW R1200RT with a Russell Day Long saddle for you matey.

I have a Corbin on mine (BM) and they're firm but supportive. I can do ten hours or more but I'm sure that it wouldn't change Anna's knee angle on a Sprint.

Placing the Corbins on my Beemer didn't raise or lower the seat.

Best of luck with your request :)

Linz :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Linz.

I have found a German company which makes rotatable pegs which can be fitted to the passenger brackets. Will also have a look at making my own brackets for the passenger pegs.

I like the look of the Corbin, but I think it will run almost $1000 in Aus. :eek::eek: There is a company called Metcruze in southern NSW which did a custom seat job for my M109. Will give them a call perhaps and see what they can do for the Sprint..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys. Just trying to find someone who will sell me a Corbin for my sprint. Anyone have a lead on a dealer in Aus?

·
Registered
50 Posts
my co-pilot was constantly sliding into me with the stock seat due to the odd angle, so i took my seat to metzi and for $320 they added 35mm to the front of the pillion section, sculpted it into a slight saddle shape, covered it in carbon look vinyl, added metallic blue piping, looks similar in shape to the corbin but much flasher looking and at less than half the price, didnt need the backrest bling as the ventura rack retains her bum where it should be
just offering an option

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, as an update: I bought a Sprint July 2009. yay :D:D

Still looking at buying the Corbin seat. Got a quote from www.vpw.com.au for $1015. Corbin only supply to USA customers and quote from UK for seat is $AU1139 and that is without delivery.

yep, already had seat re-shaped before we rode to Adelaide. Had the front of the seat shaped upwards, etc, etc as mentioned by Ian.

The real problem is the seat mounting setup. The bolts being placed under the seat means the foam is very thin to allow bending it out of the road to get at the bolts. This thin foam does nothing for passenger comfort. I'm not sure how far you are riding with a pillion but Anna gets VERY uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

We bought an inflatable camp pillow after one day on the trip to Adelaide. This helped but was fairly bulky and raised her quite high up and wasn't really a solution.

I also manufactured some new foot pegs for Anna with some brackets and foot-boards from a Harley shop. I am still looking at the German foot-pegs and will purchase the 5cm drop-pegs and mount some floor-boards up to those.

At the end of the day I will always struggle to make the Sprint comfortable for all-day pillion touring because of the design of the bike (seat angle, seat mounting design, knee angle for Anna, etc).

My real problem is that she was very comfortable on the 109 and has known comfortableness on a bike. She has mentioned buying another 109 as a second bike. :cool: So if finances ever allow I will be purchasing a cruiser for touring with Anna. And would be sorely tempted to trade the Sprint for a Daytona or a Speed Triple...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That quote was for the Gunfighter & Lady seat for 2007+ Sprint plus the OvalBack back rest.

Just the Corbin seat = $680
Backrest = $335

That nifty little glovebox setup does not fit the Sprint due the tail angle. It's a pity as it would be a great little storage addition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts