Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I've found the brakes of my t'bird adequate most of the time, but lacking when 'pushing hard' through the twisties. I've even discussed it here a few years back so I know this topic has been done to death in the past, & am aware of the the issues/expense in substituting a TBS front . Also that 4 & 6 pot brakes are available to fit the original disc.

Can anyone tell me if you know of cheaper, but effective options available now eg. a 4 pot caliper/master cylinder from a different bike?

I would also welcome any descriptive accounts of how you found the braking different having fitted a different caliper & /or master cylinder.

Regards
Cuppa

Ps. Just back from four days on mountain roads, hence my questions.
Pps, Standard rear shock is good after almost 50,000kms, it was too harsh when new, but now, in combo with 33 /39psi in the Azaro's , it works well in all condtions. A lot's been said about the oem shocks on T'birds, some being too soft/mushy, some harsh like mine. I will however upgrade the fork springs to something stiffer when upgrading the brakes.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Just so you know I have Brembos hooked up to my stock master cylinder and the stopping power is amazing. Just sayin that you may not need to upgrade the master cylinder when you do the caliper.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I noticed (while perusing the CRG site) that adjustable levers (cable with a remote knob) are used to adjust the brakes by racers. Might be a good (cheap) reason to upgrade to the TBS style levers. Just set the levers out when starting out (or when they don't seem to have enough range when hot). Might be a cheap start (for now).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi TBSStunta,
Could you post a link to the model of brembo calipers that you've used? Do you think a single brembo caliper would be worhwhile (assuming you have two on your Tbs).
Mojoinco, Thanks, I already have the TBS adjustable levers.
regards
Cuppa

[ This message was edited by: Cuppa500 on 2006-12-04 14:59 ]

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well I found the stock TBS Calipers less than inspiring.

I have upgraded to P8 Brembos which are large twin piston A single piston on opposite sides of the disc as fitted to Italian exotica in the late seventies to mid eighties.

I am now trying to find a large enough m/c to cope! :(

I have a 14mm off a Trident. Despite repeated bleedings it pulls back to the bars when left overnight.

I have a 16mm Brembo unit to go on which should sort it!

Nige. :cool:

[ This message was edited by: Ballacraine on 2006-12-04 16:39 ]

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

Just a couple of thoughts with our Thunderbird being a single sided disc brake.

The design is a two pot sliding/floating caliper. Likely calipers from other bikes are four pot solid calipers.

The design is a solid disc rota (matching a sliding caliper) and should not be used with a solid caliper.

The limiting factor appears to be the rota, and a floating rota is needed to open up several options. I believe the Bonneville Thruxton has a floating rota, with the same mounting pattern and offset, and rota size. Can anybody confirm this?

Ciao,
Geoff

:wink:

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
On 2006-12-04 17:18, GeoffE wrote:
I believe the Bonneville Thruxton has a floating rota, with the same mounting pattern and offset, and rota size. Can anybody confirm this?

Ciao,
Geoff

:wink:
The Thruxton does have a floating rotor, and I've also heard it will bolt onto the TBird hub. EBC also makes floating replacement rotors for the classic triples, those are cast iron vs stainless (original triumph) so the pads should be changed for optimim braking with that material.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just thinking about this the other day. I notice that all of the rotor is not used. Looks like a few MM of contact area is not swept by the stock pads. Would a different caliper/pad combination take advantage and would there be any advantage to using a little more of the rotor?

Stan

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
The thrux rotor will bolt up.

If beefing up the caliper you would be best to switch to a floater.

TBS rotors are smaller diameter than a TBird (310 vs 320mm) but can be bolted up - but wont work with stock caliper.

I could find no OEM replacement caliper which would mount up to the stock TBird holes - an adapter bracket would have to be machined.

Berringer and Harrison do bolt up replacement calipers (4 and 6 pot options)

If you stiffen your front suspension your rear shock may not seem as good as it did

Hope this helps.

[ This message was edited by: MickMaguire on 2006-12-05 10:38 ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts