Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the headlight on my 2017 T120 is horrible. Any easy replacement to brighten it up for might riding?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Lots has been posted here. It’s the reflector causing this issue on the T120. The headlight from the T100 was the solution a couple of years ago but their price has gone up enough that the aftermarket is a solution now.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
This may help. I installed a DIP Relay bypass. To summarize, it's a very small switch which allows the headlight to function in two ways.

When the switch is open, the head light operates normally. When you turn on high beam, the low beam is extinguished and the high beam filament is energized.

When the switch is closed, the low beam filament remains energized when you turn on the high beam, for great open road night vision.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
When the WC T100 headlight was $200 it was a great solution. Drops right in, works great. Even comes with bulbs already installed. It might not be as desirable now that dealers want $400 for the same unit. It sure fixes the T120's weak, splotchy high beam that cannot be properly adjusted at all.

T100 headlamps do show up on eBay from time to time:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17-18-Triumph-Bonneville-T100-900-black-headlight-oem/293034578215?fits=Model:Bonneville|Make:Triumph&hash=item443a38d127:g:cBwAAOSw9ClcpWUX:sc:USPSPriority!79902!US!-1

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I went this route with a different LED bulb and although it looked better (a brighter, blue-tinged light) than the stock bulb the light cast off of the OEM reflectors wasn't noticeably better. The low beam was about the same (good) but the high beam was still useless with voids of darkness in the beam pattern directly in front of the bike. I eventually went with a JW Speaker LED headlamp. That solved the problem for me.:dunno

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you need the extra "Mounting ring" to fit those JW's to a triumph? I'm not exactly sure what that part is for, even after reading the parts guide for it. I watched the motodemic install video, but he didnt mention it, though it looks like it might be preinstalled on his light.

Also wondering if the 8790 is coming soon or not, since its not in stock on their website, but it looks better than the standard one.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Do you need the extra "Mounting ring" to fit those JW's to a triumph? I'm not exactly sure what that part is for, even after reading the parts guide for it. I watched the motodemic install video, but he didnt mention it, though it looks like it might be preinstalled on his light.
Yes, it’s required. The JW lights are 7” OD and will go right through the Triumph stock outer ring.

Edit.. I did read about a member who installed one without this adapter. I’m not sure how it looked because there wasn’t a pic. I think it’d be difficult to do but not impossible.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Do you need the extra "Mounting ring" to fit those JW's to a triumph? I watched the motodemic install video, but he didnt mention it, though it looks like it might be preinstalled on his light.
If you buy the headlamp from Motodemic, their adapter ring is included in the purchase price and it's already installed on the headlamp.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Also wondering if the 8790 is coming soon or not, since its not in stock on their website, but it looks better than the standard one.
I bought several lights from Motodemic and everything comes ready to go from them as a plug n play install. I have included links below for the air-cooled and the liquid-cooled models.
If you have any questions you should contact them directly at [email protected]

https://motodemic.com/product-category/manufacturer/triumph/triumph-modern-classics/2001-2016-air-oil-cooled/

https://motodemic.com/product-category/manufacturer/triumph/triumph-modern-classics/2016-water-cooled/

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah it come preinstalled direct from JW as well, if you pay the extra 30 bucks. Was just wondering if it was required, sounds like it is. I probably will email motodemic and see if they know anything about the 8790, after looking into it more, it looks like the specs page was just released yesterday so its brand new. I'll wait for that if its only marginally higher priced, or the same price, since the lighting increase looks fantastic on an already fantastic light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah it come preinstalled direct from JW as well, if you pay the extra 30 bucks. Was just wondering if it was required, sounds like it is. I probably will email motodemic and see if they know anything about the 8790, after looking into it more, it looks like the specs page was just released yesterday so its brand new. I'll wait for that if its only marginally higher priced, or the same price, since the lighting increase looks fantastic on an already fantastic light.
I believe that Motodemic already sells the JW Speaker 8790 AKA. The Adaptive 2 light. Here is a link to their page where you can get the light with the adapter ring already installed.
https://motodemic.com/shop/led-headlight-for-triumph-bonneville-t100-t120-2016/

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I need this as idiot proof as possible. I'm not a handy guy.

Can't believe I gotta pay 600-800 bucks for a darn useable headlight.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe that Motodemic already sells the JW Speaker 8790 AKA. The Adaptive 2 light. Here is a link to their page where you can get the light with the adapter ring already installed.
https://motodemic.com/shop/led-headlight-for-triumph-bonneville-t100-t120-2016/

Yeah, theres a new 8790 non-adaptive though, but still has a wider beam. Its called "Comfort-lite 2" I believe. The spec sheet just went up on the 24th, not available yet though. I havent gotten around to emailing them for details though because I have to wait 2 weeks anyway... accidentally spent too much this month already lol.

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-motorcycle-headlights-model-8790/

This is the one i'm talking about. You can download the spec sheet and see it was just published, but you cant buy it. Only the mounting ring is available so far.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts