Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can never have enough tire threads. After some investigation I have decided to put a Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring BT45 on the back of my 2015 Triumph T100. My reasoning is that it is a multi tread tire, and it has 9mm of tread. The Avon AM 26 only has 7.5 mm, and Michelin doesn't even have the amout listed. Any comments?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ran BT45s on my Honda 750 Nighthawk. Got good wear out of them, and enough grip for what the bike's performance, which is very similar to a Bonneville.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
They were original equipment on my 2005.

Of course everyone bad-mouthed them at the time, but that's how it goes with tire threads, especially if you're comparing the old worn-out tires you were riding on with the brand new ones you just installed.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My rear OEM has 6000 miles on it and almost shot. How can a T100 with not much over 50 hp wear out a tire that fast? Thanks for the replies.

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
That's what I have front & back on my Bonneville. Seem to be a decent tire. The wear has been good with 4K on them they still look close to new. Never had any lack of grip or issues with them. Good all around tire in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I have front & back on my Bonneville. Seem to be a decent tire. The wear has been good with 4K on them they still look close to new. Never had any lack of grip or issues with them. Good all around tire in my opinion.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just noticed that there are actual two different BT45 rear tires. A tubeless and a tube tire. Now I have always put a tube in a tubeless tire with no issues, and most places only stock the tubeless type. The tube type is also more money and I am cheap. Do you have a tube type on your bike, or a tubeless?
I see that the Metzler that came on the bike is a tubeless tire with a tube in it.

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
I just noticed that there are actual two different BT45 rear tires. A tubeless and a tube tire. Now I have always put a tube in a tubeless tire with no issues, and most places only stock the tubeless type. The tube type is also more money and I am cheap. Do you have a tube type on your bike, or a tubeless?
I see that the Metzler that came on the bike is a tubeless tire with a tube in it.
Hi Jack, mine are both the "Tube Type" - I wish they were the tubeless since I want to seal my rims and go tube less. I am just waiting to wear these out to do the change over to tube less and sealed wheels.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
OEM on my 2003 T100. Replaced rear after getting it used. put about 5k miles before it too was worn out. Replaced with Pilot Activs and getting much better wear. Battlaxs are a little softer and stickier

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1809 miles on the Bridgestone BT 45 rear tire so far, the tread depth is 4/32" left! At that rate I will be at the wear bars at 3000 miles. Must be that 50 hp. I also discovered a crack in the tread. I will be asking for a new tire for free. Avon Roadrider MKII or Michelin Pilot Activ next time.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi all,

Ok so what do people think about Avon Road Rider Mk2 tyres? My BT45s are pretty much done and I used to like Avon’s (albeit Azaros) on my VFR and my ST ... also are there tubed and tubeless variants?

Chris...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No free tire, they say the crack is a surface crack from a road hazard. I am having a Avon Roadrider MK II installed on the front this week. Will put one on the rear when the BT45 is done. The Avons are tubeless bias and will be mounted with a tube.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My experience with Avons is they crack a lot, but they did last a while. Longest wearing tire I've had was a metzeler me880, but they are kind of pricey.
It actually aged out at about 12 years or so, was about 1/2 worn down and It had a couple of flats where I drove it for 5-10 miles each time with no ill effects after getting new tubes for it.
I just put some cheap Shinko tour masters on and they are not the best. They follow road cracks, traction in corners is OK enough for me - i don't scrape pegs. I don't put a lot of miles on so that works out for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am on my second set of BTs. I got 10,000km out of the first set. Back tyre need changing but front did not at 10,000km. I got slightly less out of the stock Metzlers but once again back wore our first. I had no problems with grip.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for the replies all,

Can any one tell me if there is a tubed (TT) type of BT45 130/80-17 69V or is everyone running around on tubeless (TL) with inner-tubes in?

Just wanted to know before I order the tyre and bits as I’m spooning the thing on myself and didn’t want to do the wrong thing ....

KR
Chris

·
Registered
140 Posts
As far as I know you will be fine running tubeless tyre with a tube. Pretty sure that's what we all do ?

Jon

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies all,

Can any one tell me if there is a tubed (TT) type of BT45 130/80-17 69V or is everyone running around on tubeless (TL) with inner-tubes in?

Just wanted to know before I order the tyre and bits as I’m spooning the thing on myself and didn’t want to do the wrong thing ....

KR
Chris

When I went to buy mine the tube type BT45 was more money, so being cheap as I am I bought the tubeless and put a tube in it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
IIRC installing a tube in a tubeless V rated tire lowers the speed rating to H.

Something to keep in mind... not that Bonneville riders require V rated tires anyway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts