Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How'dy All,

Thinking of replacing my brakes all round with Brembo. However, cant seem to find anyone that sells em, or can get me the part numbers required to fit the 08 Sprint.

If anyone knows of a website that does sell them, either USA or Ozland, it would be appreciated.

Plus if you have any views, one way or the other, about doing this update...would be interested to hear whatchya gotta say.

Cheers.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Tokicos are an easier swap

Had a look at Panthers Dens list of aftermarket gear for the Sprints. It mentions the following:

* 4 Piston Brembo Front Brakes
o Brembo 65mm Axial 4-pad Caliper Set
* 6 Piston Tokico Front Brake 'Donor Bikes'
o ZX6R 98-02
o ZX6RR 02
o ZX7R 96-03
o ZRX 11 and 12 99-04
o ZX12R 00-03
o ZX9R 98-03
o Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa all years 99-06 ('Busa 5/8" MC is also a direct replacement for Triumph stock 14 mm MC)
o Suzuki TL1000R
o Suzuki Bandit 1200s with 6 piston calipers

The Brembos have a 65mm pitch between bolt holes which means they are not a direct bolt on to the forks.:( The Sprint is 90mm pitch between bolt holes). I couldn't find anything on Brembos webpage that would do the job.

The Tokicos are a straight swap on the Sprint and many have done it with pleasing results.;) If I were you I would fit up the Tokicos.

·
Registered
890 Posts
At one point in time (like a year or two ago) I did find a setup that would allow you to use brembo brakes on a sprint, but it was over 1k in cost , if I remember right, so I never really bothered to save the info since that cost was a bit outragous for brakes on an ST (IMHO). If you *really* want brembo brakes for your ST (which really is overkill for these bikes) I can see about trying to find that site again that had the info about it... If I remember right, it required a kit or something (rotors needed to be replaced as well I believe) unlike the tokico's which are a direct bolt-on replacement... but still... is it really worth spending over a grand for the brand name on brakes when others like Tokico's or Nissin are just as good? It's not like you are going to take the Sprint ST out and race them in the AMA's or WSBK or anything...

Of course I'm trying to go by memory, but I do remember the costs of it being absolutely outragous...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys...always worth posting a question, as I had not even heard of Tokicos prior. Something to investigate.

I did guestimate that the Brembo setup would be around 1K. After having a go on a bike with the Brembos, I was most impressed and thought improved brakes on the ST would be a worthwhile project.

Never have enough stopping power.

I have a search in the forums for the Tokicos and see what I can find about them vs the Brembo.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much searching in the threads has not left me inspired to do the 6 pot conversion. Specially here in Adelaide SA where there seems to be a shortage of second hand units floating about.

Some things I have found about the M/C for the 08 Sprint ST.

Seems that around early 07 there was complaints about spongy front brakes and Triumph did a 'Good Will' recall for Sprint ST’s prior to VIN 253133. It would appear that models after this did get the larger 15.88 M/C (refer the MCN link HERE)

The part number they mention is T2025498 and that is a 15.87mm M/C.

I went off to the local dealer and they were not much assistance. But I checked out the Tiger (which is suppose to have the bigger M/C) and that had the same markings as my M/C, which is '8 NISSAN'. I also found a older ST in the workshop which had '4 NISSAN'.

So, if that is all true, then most of the 07 and onward models already have the bigger M/C.

Please correct me if you have addition information.

Still leaves me with the Spongy brakes...read the current thread about the clean em fix...but that has been mentioned prior and seems to be a very temporary fix.

One of the guys at PS (local dealer) mentioned to try a radial M/C (14mm) which comes off a Daytona 675 ($140 including handle) reckons this may give a firmer feel ???? Hard to know, must do more research.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just watch eBay for the 6 pots. Usually most folks will ship worldwide. That is a permanent fix for the spongy brakes. And probably the cheapest.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just watch eBay for the 6 pots. Usually most folks will ship worldwide. That is a permanent fix for the spongy brakes. And probably the cheapest.
:) I'll keep a Lookin :)

At least (if) the M/C is 15.87mm, It wont need to be upgraded to support the 6 pot Tokicos.

Anyone know of any better levers out on the market instead of stock, now I'm looking around I noticed the Pazzo racing levers. Guess that is something else to search the threads about..!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have Pazzo's on my '01. They have performed very well. I like the fact that I can change the pull while riding as I warm or cool. They have helped a bit with the sponginess because they seem to have a better feel to them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have Pazzo's on my '01. They have performed very well. I like the fact that I can change the pull while riding as I warm or cool. They have helped a bit with the sponginess because they seem to have a better feel to them.
Hi alii1959.
Jeez...just noticed the price and fell off my chair. Ohh well, not much difference for the Pazzo's or the ASV's in price. Think the local dealer is about OZ$300 on the Pazzo's and they look the biz. Cheers.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Keanhi--before I went to a radial MC setup, you might want to try to find the thread on here regarding swapping out the caliper pistons with the 675 piston kit (thus rebuild). Those pistons are a direct swap and are coated, thus removing the problems many complain about (with sticking pistons). I think this thread is in the blog section. I plan on doing this eventually. :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yea, I had the Pazzo's on my '02 and plan to get those or the ASV's for my Daytona. The Pazzo's are pretty good and less expensive compared to ASV's. Although the ASV's promote themselves as being unbreakable.

As for the brakes, there's a few various options I've seen people go with on this site in order to remedy it:
1. Clean them every time the spongy feeling comes back.
2. Replace brakes and M/C with the tokico 6 pots and a larger M/C.
3. Replace the calipers themselves with the Daytona teflon coated calipers.

My old '02 ST had the smaller M/C so I went the route of 6 pots and the 14mm M/C and the brakes worked perfect after that. But at the same time I also replaced my brakes lines with dual brake lines instead of the piggy back setup the ST uses (mostly did it for cosmetic reasons though).

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just a quick add to Panther's post... (great by the way!)
You would be replacing the pistons in the Sprint calipers with the pistons from the 675 caliper rebuild kit, not actually swapping the calipers themselves. :) Going to the dual line setup versus the single line with the cross-over is also something I'm thinking of doing too.

Kev

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just a quick add to Panther's post... (great by the way!)
You would be replacing the pistons in the Sprint calipers with the pistons from the 675 caliper rebuild kit, not actually swapping the calipers themselves. :) Going to the dual line setup versus the single line with the cross-over is also something I'm thinking of doing too.

Kev
Opps, that's what I meant, good catch hehe :D

·
Registered
852 Posts
I still have the factory 14mm M/C with the 6 pots. I have been using this set up for a couple years now and it works perfect. Single line down, with the cross over. Hydraulics don't care if it is one line or two.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Agreed regarding the hydralics. Eliminating the cross-over tube would be strictly be for simpler bleeding of the brakes. It seems the cross-over needs a little more care to prevent it harboring air bubbles. Nothing too problematic though. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
G'day All,

Thanks for you replies. All great information.

Just prior to popping back to the TriumphRat.net site I put on a buy now for some 'new' (old stock) Tokico calipers...so hopefully they are really new, but if only as new then I'll be happy.

The link to the ebay auction is HERE

Little more money at US$149 (that will be around AUS$300'ish with delivery), but they come with pads and lines...so I thought 'what the heck'.

Also, hoping I'm correct in my research that I currently have the 15.87mm M/C.

Like the idea of using the 675 piston kit. Who knows, if the 6 pot calipers don't work out then I may give that a try also. I did not see that searching in the threads, so that is a good option and good information to have.

Shall also eliminate the cross over line...if for no other reason than to make bleeding the brakes easier...read a bit about some saying this is the best way and other saying it makes no difference (in feel)..but while I'm about the process, may as well go all the way :)

The units I bought are gold, may leave em that way, but might not go with the graphite bike colour...hmmm, may have to find a good hi-temp black paint...???

Now to order the Pazzo levers :)

Ohh yeah, need to find a place to buy the speed bleeders...jeez, more web hunting...doooooh !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brembo P4 calipers at Sprint ST 1050

Hi Guys,

Like a lot of other Sprint owners I wasn't satisfied about the spongy / non-bite Nissin front Calipers of my 2005 Sprint. A couple of years ago I drove a Aprilia Mille with great Brembo brakes. So I wanted to reach that level for my Sprint too! And it worked.

First I started to change the original brake master cylinder for a Brembo 19x20 radial master cylinder with HEL brake lines. This reduced the spongy feeling, but it wasn't fully gone. No it wasn't air in the system... So changing calipers was what remained.

Switching from Nissins to Brembo's calipers isn't that easy because the have different pitches. You will need adapters / brackets. I found them at ebay. Search for seller: "win0916" and "ZRX ZX7R GSX1300R Hayabusa ZX12R Brembo Bracket 65mm". With a very small modification they will fit at the Sprints fork legs. You have to file approx. 3mm of the bracket to fit the lower connection ear of the fork leg. It doesn't harm the strength of the bracket so far I (mechanical engineer) can judge.

Also at Ebay I found a pair of used Brembo P4.34A calipers with original brake pads. (4 of them per caliper) A lot of them are regularly sold at Ebay. These calipers fit perfectly at the brackets. The brakes discs are exactly located in the middle of the calipers. Also the brake pads are nice located at the outside of the brake discs.

With another set of HEL brake lines and DOT5.1 brake fluid the system was ready to test.
And yes, the bite of the Brembo was there and the sponginess was gone! Finally.

The costs for doing it right the first time:
Master cylinder: 260euro (new)
Brackets: 70euro (new)
Calipers: 190euro (used)
Brake lines: 100euro (new)
Total: 620euro
With a used master cylinder you can do it cheaper.

Succes,
Jan

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
At one point in time (like a year or two ago) I If you *really* want brembo brakes for your ST (which really is overkill for these bikes) I can see about trying to find that site again that had the info about it..

Boy, that's fer sure. Brembos are overkill for almost anything not ridden on the track.

I've been alternating commuting this week on my CBR and my Tuono. I pulled up to a light from a 55 MPH cruise a half hour ago and thought to myself...these brakes really are ridiculous.

I love 'em and all. They're great. But they have insanely more torque than you ever need for rational street riding. Then again, what's rational about any of this?

--Paul

1 - 20 of 22 Posts