Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 Sprint RS and i keep getting oil coming out of the bottom of it and around the outside bottom of it every time i turn off the bike. ive traced it up under the tank. no oil up there. i do think that my front sprocket seal is bad. any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Is it coming from the airbox drain tube, or dripping around the sprocket cover area?

The first one may because there IS oil in the airbox (occurs particularly if bike has been down on left side)

The latter is a relatively common problem with porous casting where the side-stand bolts on. Remove stand, clean up and use a sealant product on the bolts when re-installing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet

so how do i get to the airbox?

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
You have to remove the tank, which means you first have to remove the seat & tail section.
If you have never removed tank before (which sounds like you haven't) be very careful with the quick-disconnect fuel fittings, especially on re-installation. It's easy to break the fixed one on the fuel pump if you're not careful.
As well as disconnecting the fuel lines, you will have one electrical connector for the pump and another under the tank for the fuel sender.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any chance you have a procedure? im going to try to tackle this on my own but im new to working on triumphs and taking bikes apart in general.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes were almost definite that its coming from the tube. and just to verify, im not sure what "bung" means in american english. a grommet?
unfortunately YES the bike has been down on the left side

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
...unfortunately YES the bike has been down on the left side
Ah, OK - that explains it then.
When bike goes down on left side with motor running, oil gets sucked up the breather hose and into the airbox.

A 'bung' is a plug - it's supposed to keep any oil that drains into the hose from just spilling out, then is to be periodically drained.
It's just a press-fit piece of plastic that goes in end of hose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts