Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I suspect Norton will declare bankruptcy the assets sold off, taxes paid, what is left will go to bank loans, then if there is any thing left it will go to pensioners people with deposits on bikes etc. and then the trademark "Norton" will be sold with no dept. What is really unfortunate is this started over 8 yrs ago.
https://www.bikerglory.com/news/the-norton-saga/

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Well, by the time I left home at 19, I had £3,000 worth of fines and a 4 year ban, so I had to wait a while before I got my first bike on the road legally. That was bought (as usual) as two or three boxes of rust (£15), which took me 6 months to rebuild. They had only just bought in the 125 limit/2 part test, so although I was already an accomplished rider I had to start all over with this crap. Anyway, the bike was a rarity in the UK I believe - the Suzuki Stinger T125, smaller brother of the 200 Invader and the 250 Hustler.

There is one on eBay right now, 1971, unrestored and up for sale at £3,200. I've had a few rare(ish) Jap bikes which would be worth a bit now. Bridgestone 175, Honda FT500, as well as many British machines, more than I can remember.

I never bothered with cars until the kids came along. Me and the wife would do the weekly shop on a Honda CB550/4 K1 with throw-over panniers and a top box. Then from 1985 - 2005 I drove around in Reliant 3 wheelers because I could run those on my bike licence. I've had all incarnations of those - Regal saloon, Regal estate (same as the van but with side windows), 2 Robins and a Rialto. I decided to go 4 wheels in 2005 with an old Corsa.

Yes the Rebel was the forerunner to the Kitten. Now, the Kitten was just a Robin with an altered front end to take the extra wheel, apart from that they were identical, so a rear axle from a 3 wheeler would go straight on. I wonder whether you could do the same with the Rebel. Its worth investigating. The Reliants were all 'bitsa' cars - bitsa this, bitsa that - for example the square headlamps on the Rialto were from the Bedford Rascal van. There were also quite a few Mini parts. Yeah, people laughed at the 3 wheelers but there were worse 4 wheelers on the road - Fiat 500 anyone? My 700cc Regal saloon would obliterate an 850 Mini up the motorway (I did that once and took the grin off their faces), seated 4 people and carried more than my Fiesta does now. Tax was the same as a bike and insurance virtually pennies, fuel consumption must have been around 60 mpg.
That stinger jobby's a rare old bird (y) The bike I done my test on was a H100 that was in boxes in the back of my brothers mates lock up, I paid 25 quid for it and within 2 hours me and a mate had it mostly put together and running. I used to try and run a car as well as a bike, good for car booty's and tip run's, but that was when you could pick up Morris Marina's and the like for a 100 quid. When I got married the wife had a car and I couldn't see much point in having two so I just rode bikes for a few years, then when the government brought the mot exemption limit down to 40 years, I had just turned 50, so I thought sod it I'll get hold of a car that's mot and tax free so I went out and found a Reliant Rebel, I mentioned earlier that I hate driving, well I hate freezing my nuts off at 6 in the morning even more, I use the Rebel when the weather gets bloody cold. I didn't pay a huge amount for it but I did have to completely overhaul the brakes and steering, the engine had recently been rebuilt and it had had a bit of a home respray, not the best of jobs but it looks presentable enough. It had a bit of a 'chuffing' almost 'scraping' noise coming from the rear axle but I couldn't suss where it was from, now it's got worse I'm pretty sure it's from the diff nose bearing, there's a firm near me who are going to overhaul the axle for me in the spring I've just got to drop it out.
I did get a ton out of a 3 wheeler but it was down hill and I was s**ting it 'cause of only having one drum brake on the front and no servo, they were nippier than what people believed though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow.
Just read the article oldgoldie had a link to. Just incredible. If the allegations against this Garner guy arr proved i hope they throw the book at him.

Whst a sad ending for what once was a great marque.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If I read the press correctly, Norton were running several public pension schemes. How is this possible?? If it is legal in the UK, then I suppose people who speculated in such a high risk environment can't complain too much. No doubt seduced by promises of huge returns. This guy is really a piece of work.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Norton wasn't running Stuart Garner was. When people asked to move their money out he dragged his feet until it was too late.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We are talking semantics here but I understand the schemes were owned by the 'company', with Mr. Garner as Trustee. How ironic.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I heard the pensioners were told there funds were diversified, but ended up being 100% diversified solely within Norton
There was a major packing plant here in Ceder Rapids Iowa back in the 80-90's(had been around for ~75years) that was struggling financial so the company asked the employee's if they would loan the company their pension $$$ to keep the plant afloat, employee's agreed thinking that that was their only hope to keep their jobs, company sold them on the idea that without it they would fold, leaving them unemployed. Well shortly after the company used up all the pension $$$ the plant folds and everybody was let go never to see their pension. I knew a lot of these men and women that put in 20-30 years that all of a sudden had no pension what so ever, tough pill to swallow.
If a company ever wants to touch an employees pension the employee's should take what they have and run, its not going to be long before they have neither their job nor their pension.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Well, it appears that Norton's woes go far beyond a 300,000 pound tax bill. My friend Stuart Fillingham has just released a video regarding the real situation at Norton. Here it is:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Some of those figures are staggering but a bit hard to believe, the money owed to customers who've left deposits or full payments without receiving a bike totals 41 million pounds, that's 82,000 paid deposits without receiving a bike!
Even if they'd paid full price that's way more people then I would expect to be buying a Norton.
I must admit I have limited sympathy with people who've left the full amount on a bike without having anything in return or doing any research on Stuart Garner or Norton.
Also do none of these people talk to each other on forums or other social media, surely once a few hundred people have left deposits without getting anything in return that should be a warning to anyone else to follow suit.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Some of those figures are staggering but a bit hard to believe, the money owed to customers who've left deposits or full payments without receiving a bike totals 41 million pounds, that's 82,000 paid deposits without receiving a bike!
Even if they'd paid full price that's way more people then I would expect to be buying a Norton.
I must admit I have limited sympathy with people who've left the full amount on a bike without having anything in return or doing any research on Stuart Garner or Norton.
Also do none of these people talk to each other on forums or other social media, surely once a few hundred people have left deposits without getting anything in return that should be a warning to anyone else to follow suit.
Yea I certainly can't verify the figures, and much of what Stuart said is acknowledged hearsay, but the problem clearly extends beyond a tax bill, involving the misappropriation of pension funds, deposits etc. I had held out hopes that someone (an angel investor) would step in, but given the potential magnitude of any bailout, that hope is fading fast. Pity, as this is one of the few bikes manufactured today that I would have liked to own.

·
Registered
751 Posts
They had some interesting looking new bikes
Most of them have never been made though or proven to be good or not, haven't seen a single review from anybody trustworthy who's not in Stuart garners pocket.
I think the 650 atlas was the one they were hoping to sell in numbers but it's got one massive thing going against it if you're looking to buy a modern classic type of bike, the engine looks absolutely awful, like looking in the back of a old washing machine, it's half a V4 that was never designed to be on show unlike a Triumph twin or Royal Enfield.
The dominator SS is the only one I kind of like the look of but not for £30,000 with an engine from the 50s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
went for a factory tour last year lots of unfinished bikes sitting around then with no explanation🤔

81 - 100 of 110 Posts