Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
What !!!!,..... went to the NEC bike show end of last year. Norton had a good size stand that must have cost a fortune. That is a bit of a shock..

·
Driftless Admin
11,499 Posts
I honestly assumed they were already bankrupt, the news about them wasn't good years ago it seems like.

I get this sensation a lot. Half the time the news has a headline announcing the death of some celebrity, like "Rocker Guy Dies", I had no idea Rocker Guy was still alive. I feel like a better headline would be "Rocker Guy Was Still Alive Yesterday".

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I also belong to the access norton forum and they have been discussing this possibility for a while. Still very discouraged to get the official news. Thanks for the update cheerfulljerry....not for the news though

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Yeah, it is sad. That article makes it sound like they aren't that far in the hole. Shouldn't have been so flip about it, it's a good company and I'm sure there's plenty of folks with a part of their soul invested in it.
I knew that this was in the pipeline a few months ago. Can't remember which site I was on but apparently Stuart Garner the CEO has been a bit of a sh1t... been taking money up front for orders that have not materialised. Also I heard that he's been dipping into the employees pension fund too. Hasn't there recently been a new model that hasn't made it into the real world? I think that's what the article I was reading was all about.

Anyway they've gone down owing HMRC about £300k.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had seen pictures of the V4 RR but wasn’t really up to date on the rest of there line up Until I spotted a dominator at a dealership About 2 weeks ago. No wonder there going under. A Dominator is $55k in Aus and it was a demo model. thats a lot for only 80ps Turning a 5 speed. Yes it has some ohlins shocks and this example had some carbon bits (all of which are extra cost options) but so does the thruxton TFC and there not $55k. not sure if the frames are hand made but they definitely look like it, and not in a good hand crafted way but a Chinese knock off way. I can’t say I like the look either. A lot of pieces feel like an after thought. Like lets Fill this gap with a piece of scrap aliminium and drills some holes in it. There pretty bare in the way of fruit with only ABS on the list. I couldn’t justify that cash for that spec level (or lack of) I’d rather spend half the cash and get an old commando.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Bloody hell - that's in my hometown. That really sucks - looks like the 650 twins won't be seeing the light of day then.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Aah crap - the Priest House is done as well. I wonder if it came as part of Donington Hall. Right shame that, one of my first jobs was working down there when I was 13. Never understood why Garner wanted Donington Hall other than for the show of it.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
It did kind of look like they were spending too much money on show for super expensive "bespoke bikes".
Some of the US manufacturers did that back in the 90s trying to make a real splash and they went under pretty fast. Excelsior, Henderson, Indian a time or maybe two.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It did kind of look like they were spending too much money on show for super expensive "bespoke bikes".
Some of the US manufacturers did that back in the 90s trying to make a real splash and they went under pretty fast. Excelsior, Henderson, Indian a time or maybe two.
I totally agree, Norton spent to much time on bespoke motorcycles that were way to expensive for the average Joe to buy with out knocking out some more affordable machines first. I think they build, or rather did build some lovely looking bikes, but unfortunately way out of my price range. I don't think there are enough customers out who want a bespoke Norton and can afford these machines to keep the company afloat because after all they were rich boys toys.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That can be the outcome, rather than the intent. When you don't have enough capital to invest in production facilities you are forced to hand-build. Obviously that equates to a very expensive motorcycle. You then either take a hit on every sale to try and build market share (probably what Triumph did), or you try to sell prestige to a market that possibly doesn't exist. This seems to be a classic case of someone who had a dream rather than a business plan.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Kenny sold his interests to Stuart Garner years ago. Garner doesn't deserve your sympathy, his suppliers & customers & pensioners do. See the link in my previous post.
Jim

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
You missed interpreted my post. I read the link. What I meant was too bad Dreer lost his funding years ago. He would have done a better job of it. I'm not sympathetic for Garner at all. Dreer sold out because his investors got cold feet. A lot of money has to go into developing a bike. Just ask Bloor how much of his own money he invested. I did not like what Garner did with Dreer's prototype. That's all.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Oh come now! You weren’t surprised. You knew those brands were going to fail as soon as you heard about them. Doubly so for the Indian Marquee.

The only reason Indian is still in production is because of Polaris Corp. selling snowmobiles and ATVs.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts