Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breaking news on original Triumph paint colours.

After years of research and unanswered questions I have finally got the answer where and who can provide the correct original triumph paint colours samples, and it’s not who you think it is.

If you’re interested make a list and I will send it to Father Christmas and give you the info.

My colours cost $ 25.00 each. I think it’s worth it.

BB

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With a little help from friends on this forum it has been possible to put together the correct info for all, I will at a later stage forward all contact details to moderator Paul (GPZ) who I believe will serve us best.

Acknowledgements to Don Hutchinson and John Critchlow and others who constantly were there always supporting offering a rewarding glimmer of hope through my endless queries and emails.

If I understand it correctly today it was John Critchlow who was to undertake a number of restorations many years back, of which amongst the parts supplied were original factory painted parts from which the colours were copied and records kept.

It was John who supplied Don Hutchinson with all the information and it was John who painted all Hughie Hancox's restorations.

John Critchlow some +- 20 years ago gave the sales part of the samples and paints for the Pacific to an Australian, who has supplied me and John will supply the rest of the world.

I will forward the information to GPZ tomorrow.
Remember as Don would say there is only one person who needs to be satisfied even though the batches of paint differed slightly as did the quality of the job.

·
Super Moderator
12,499 Posts
That is entirely too cool.

Even though several other folks have come up with very good charts and such, mostly based on Don's freewill responses to anyone who would ask, it would be moving into the present day FINALLY to have a color chart that any competent painter can match with modern paint.

THANX.

·
Registered
970 Posts
When I restore a 1970 trohy back in teh early 80's, it turned out that the british leyland paints matched. Not surprising as the factory was just down the road.. anyone seen a bathtub 5TA done in leyland/rover maroon will know what i mean.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Just an add on to that Panda, It's Leyland maroon 'B'........... The other thing you need to understand is, John's paint mixes are in CELLULOSE ONLY. Modern paint finishes are TOO good for concours (factory) restorations. However if you want to restore & RIDE, then thats' the way to go!
Roy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts