Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All- I have been lurking for awhile and also searched and could not find the answer to a question I have. I have an 09 Thruxton that I bought in January of this year. Due to a variety of factors I only now have 400 miles on it. I called the dealer and he said wait for the 500 mile service when you hit 500 miles. Does this sound right?

Also the guy from the shop said don't go past 2500 rpm during the breaking period. Of course this is impossible :) but I have tried to keep it around 3000 when shifting, but this still seems kind of low. What RPM's are people shifting at in normal use, say away from a red light? Am I in the ballpark? Thanks for any help. :cool:

·
Vendor
2,431 Posts
If you've done 400 miles at under 3,000rpm you really need to give it some stick very soon or your rings will never seal how they should. These engines are bulletproof and seam to get better the harder you ride them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you've done 400 miles at under 3,000rpm you really need to give it some stick very soon or your rings will never seal how they should. These engines are bulletproof and seam to get better the harder you ride them.
What numbers should I be looking to shift at?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Running-in

Forget revs, it's the amount of load that's crucial.

Running-in any motor properly makes all the difference to long term performance and smoothness, even with modern machining methods. You can rev it high, but never with full throttle or for prolonged periods, also never lug them up hills, get into a lower gear and keep revs up using low throttle.

The ideal running in regime - You need the revs to free things up and make sure there are no high spots but not loading the engine by giving it too much throttle.

It was always suggested to me that the actual revs are not a problem within reason as long as the load on the engine is not high, so running along on half throttle down hill at near max speed is better than lugging up a hill in top "keeping the revs down" !

Heat build up is the enemy when running in. If you do a long run while running-in, vary your speeds and stop once in a while to let things cool down.

I agree with Pieman, there's a school of thought that recommends full throttle occasionally for short bursts during the initial period of running-in. This is to ensure that combustion gasses get well behind the piston rings and force them onto the cylinder. This removes the last of the machining roughness and beds the cylinder and piston rings in properly.

Failure to do this means that the cylinder walls will glaze over and cylinder pressures and therefore compression will be lost in the future. No real damage, but lower performance.

Make the engine work, but don't let it slog and don't hold full throttle for too long. Increase the work load gradually and let the engine rev or even reach high speeds on downhill stretches and light throttle openings.
The art of running-in is to keep the motor "happy". To do this, free use must be made of the gears.
The accent should be on gradually increased work loads until full throttle is obtained.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Breakin

100 mi- vary rpms all over. 4-600 mi change oil & run it like you plan to !! If not , the rings wont seat rite!! They make engines different these days! Not like the old days when breakin lasted many miles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
re

The owners book says half throttle up to 500 miles then three quarters to a thousand .
Your dealer wants shooting for that misleading info .
changing up and down the box keeping the motor buzzing is whats needed and you will see 70-75 on the clock .
Get out and work that bike

·
Registered
138 Posts
re

ps

Dont have your dealer put that slippery oil in until you have been out and give it some through the gears for 100-150 miles

·
Registered
866 Posts
In my 2008 manual (other than EFI, I'm guessing that the engine itself hasn't changed, However check your 09 manual) :
First 500 miles-
Do not use full throttle
Avoid high engine speeds at all times
Avoid running at one constant engine speed (fast or slow) for a long period of time
Avoid aggressive starts, stops (?)and rapid accelerations, except in an emergency
Do not ride at speeds greater than 3/4 engine speed (2500 rpm, HA! Proceed directly to whoever told you this and kick them in the groin. I was conservative, but not that much. My dealer said 4000 rpm)
From 500 to 1000 miles-
Engine speed can gradually be increased to the rev limit for short periods of time
Break in and after-
Do not over-rev
Do not let engine labour
Do not ride with engine speeds unnecessarily high. (Bad for trees and squirrels)

There are a lot of varying options on break-in, that's fine. My point is- I find it annoying that (some/many?) dealers don't even know the factory recommended break-in procedures for the bikes they sell. They just make sh!t up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts