Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to go on a trip with a friend from Louisville to Atlanta. Its about 4 hour interstate ride. I will have my 500 mile service by then. Should I hold off til I get more miles on it or will I not hurt anything and ride? Its a 11 thruxton.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He said we would take it easy. Not worried about the time on the bike as I am about the constant rpms. Its pretty hard as is on normal highways.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
If it were my bike, I'd warm it up to operating temp carefully before going hard on the throttle, power seat those rings under hard accel/decel, & change the oil & filter frequently (at least by 100mi. & again by 500mi.). I would not take a new bike on a 4 hour cruise. It's your bike, & your choice.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you've already got the 500 mile break in period done, then it's not a big deal at all. If you're still breaking it in, just vary the RPMs frequently and have a good time. If you go a little over the 500 mile mark before you get the service done it won't hurt anything. Just don't go too long--you'll definitely want new oil in there pretty quickly. I put 250 miles on mine the first day I owned it, and had racked up 700+ by the time I got back to the dealer (two weeks later, I think).

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the weather forecast is correct, I will have my 500 miles in this weekend. Will get my service done next week. So it will be before the trip on June 11th. Just being paranoid I guess.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had 500 miles on my 2010 when I left for California last summer. I varied the speeds anywhere from 45-75mph; using different gears, keeping under red-line until I got above 1000mi then drove it more or less 'normally'. With these engines I don't think its a big deal assuming you followed the manual for the first 500 which I would think is more critical. Enjoy the trip

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ride it like you stole it.
I've heard this said a few times, and as I recall I've pretty much followed this rule. I'll add that I do change the oil more frequently than required. I bought a new Hemi Challenger last December and had it over 100 MPH on the way home from the dealership.

I'd be a bit more careful with the Triumph, though, and in my case I'll be keeping my new Speedy below 50 for at least the first 500 miles. And, as suggested above, I think it might be a good idea to change the oil at 250 and 500 miles. After that I wouldn't have any apprehensions about a 4 hour trip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts